Any Guy Into Car Audio Here?

Ta22

Given that the vast, vast majority of expats here in Chiang Mai are 50+ retirees who probably can't hear much above 13kHz anyway, and the only granny I know of that's into car audio is Alma Gates, I'd say the "Chiangmai Expats Car Audio Association for the Betterment of Street Bass, SPL, Sound Quality and Swathes of Thai IASCA Trophies" is probably going to be fairly light on members!

J/K :D

I'm sure there's one or two expats that are into it - I used to be before I got married to a wife that can't stand anything above 50dB, and had kids :o

whahaha don't you miss deep bass :o 20hz and 15 hz whahahhaha

going at 130 db - as it travel and grab your heart .

of cos we can go for SQ , and Hi fi .

how about 70 db with good mid range and LPF that hint you from no where

whahaha don't you miss deep bass :o 20hz and 15 hz whahahhaha

going at 130 db - as it travel and grab your heart .

of cos we can go for SQ , and Hi fi .

how about 70 db with good mid range and LPF that hint you from no where

A long time ago for me now - these days I can't sacrifice the trunk space, and even if I did I'd never be allowed to turn it up! Maybe I should buy an extended cab pickup (just 4 me) and deck it out.. Hrmm, see now you've got me thinking about spending big wads of cash! Arrgghh!

130's is a good target, enough to ensure you can't see anything in your mirrors - 150's start rattling your eyeballs, enough to ensure you can't see much at all, then when you get to the 160-170's it starts *really* messing with your heart LOL..

Yeh, I miss it sometimes.. Would be cool to listen to UB40's "Legalise It" on a decent system again :D

I am by no means an expert but.

I blew up my kicker kx600.1 and kx300.4 before I left the US a year ago, that was my fault for not installing a cap.... I wanted to have a friend teach me to fiberglass and then put the subs in the rear seat well, it would let me have my trunk again.

I really miss my system and maybe I will do something here, but putting a system in a beige civic is kinda mehhhh. If I did I would sneak in some memphesis subs and components.

IF you want to learn how to firber glass i can share what i know , and i don't think your SUb blow due to a Capaitor .

changces is killed by a LPF . whahhahaa

i am running a small set up .

i would want to learn more and share what i know

the most i did was made my sub give off " clicking sound " which worry me like hel_l .

:o this is so exciting , we must meet up for anyone .. maybe just chit chat . or over dinner :D

callme ok PM for my mobile :D

The Kicker gear he mentioned are amplifiers (not subs), so probably blew due to low supply voltage. Stiffening caps can help reduce the possibility of this happening, though their purpose is the smooth out voltage peaks, not "supply" power. The best ways to avoid melting amps is to ensure that your alternator and system battery(ies) are up to the task, and that your power cabling has sufficiently low resistance for the current going though them.

Have never used the Memphis gear - for subs I usually go for JL Audio W3/W6/W7, JBL GTi or Soundstream Reference, and for components I generally prefer Euro brands (with a couple of exceptions). I'm guessing they're OK BlackArtemis?

Street bass in a beige civic? You wouldn't do it in the west :o

The Kicker gear he mentioned are amplifiers (not subs), so probably blew due to low supply voltage. Stiffening caps can help reduce the possibility of this happening, though their purpose is the smooth out voltage peaks, not "supply" power. The best ways to avoid melting amps is to ensure that your alternator and system battery(ies) are up to the task, and that your power cabling has sufficiently low resistance for the current going though them.

Have never used the Memphis gear - for subs I usually go for JL Audio W3/W6/W7, JBL GTi or Soundstream Reference, and for components I generally prefer Euro brands (with a couple of exceptions). I'm guessing they're OK BlackArtemis?

Street bass in a beige civic? You wouldn't do it in the west :D

BI, what kind of set up cost are we looking at for the system you mentioned. approximates?

been to amnuay a couple of times but always ended up getting a "crazy" quote that left me thinking ###### that. i can do without it. :o

I'm learning .. but i am also .. in bettwen producing my own sub woofer and speaker ..

as well as amplifer under my own label .

i hope can final the production by the mid of this years

anywya that is work ..

back to hobby :o whahah i got alot to learn .. will be mroe then happy if anyone can share their info with me

BI, what kind of set up cost are we looking at for the system you mentioned. approximates?

been to amnuay a couple of times but always ended up getting a "crazy" quote that left me thinking ###### that. i can do without it. :o

Well, jugding by all the Benz's getting around Chiangmai with Amnuay stickers, and the fact that most/all of them probably aren't customer cars, I'd say they're probably used to making a tidy profit! :D

As for prices, there really is a huge range and it's never easy to predict what somwone else wants. Here's a basic rundown of what I'd expect to pay, using *all* name-brand gear (subtract around 40-50% for no-name stuff).

1. Basic system - CD/MP3 player, 4 basic speakers and fitting: 10K Baht

2. Beginner system: CD/MP3 player, component speakers (front only), 1x 10"-12" subwoofer, 4-channel amplifier (running in 3 channel mode - front + sub), cables and (proper) fitting: 25-40K Baht

3. Intermediate system: As above but with rear speakers and dedicated subwoofer amp: 40-60K Baht.

4. Big bass system: As above but with 2 subs and a bigger sub amp: 50-70K Baht.

From there on the sky's the limit. Where I'm from it's not terribly uncommon to see people spending the equivelent of 150K+ Baht. Competition systems can run into the millions of Baht of course.

Well, jugding by all the Benz's getting around Chiangmai with Amnuay stickers, and the fact that most/all of them probably aren't customer cars, I'd say they're probably used to making a tidy profit! :D

As for prices, there really is a huge range and it's never easy to predict what somwone else wants. Here's a basic rundown of what I'd expect to pay, using *all* name-brand gear (subtract around 40-50% for no-name stuff).

1. Basic system - CD/MP3 player, 4 basic speakers and fitting: 10K Baht

2. Beginner system: CD/MP3 player, component speakers (front only), 1x 10"-12" subwoofer, 4-channel amplifier (running in 3 channel mode - front + sub), cables and (proper) fitting: 25-40K Baht

3. Intermediate system: As above but with rear speakers and dedicated subwoofer amp: 40-60K Baht.

4. Big bass system: As above but with 2 subs and a bigger sub amp: 50-70K Baht.

From there on the sky's the limit. Where I'm from it's not terribly uncommon to see people spending the equivelent of 150K+ Baht. Competition systems can run into the millions of Baht of course.

BI. thank you so much for the information. i guessed as much. perhaps would go for a beginner set with subs towards the middle of this year. but then again, we're very much a family travelling in the car so i am not sure if its needed. lets see the cash flow this year.

also while i am at it. specifically looking for accesories for my civic. dont know where to go for it. things like side mirror turning lights, carpet mats etc etc. any suggestions in chiang mai? got some leads on alloy rims from another post.

BI. thank you so much for the information. i guessed as much. perhaps would go for a beginner set with subs towards the middle of this year. but then again, we're very much a family travelling in the car so i am not sure if its needed. lets see the cash flow this year.

also while i am at it. specifically looking for accesories for my civic. dont know where to go for it. things like side mirror turning lights, carpet mats etc etc. any suggestions in chiang mai? got some leads on alloy rims from another post.

You could also consider a removable subwoofer like the Infinity Basslink, a Bazooka tube, or a custom built removable box - more wife-friendly and straight-forward than a custom install, they sound good too.

As for accessories, there's Proshop Racing fronting onto the carpark in Airport Plaza that sells name-brand (and somewhat expensive) bits and pieces. There's another shop on the super highway (Mr. Car? - memory fails me) between Tesco Lotus and Chang Phuak Rd that does body kits and has some accessories. Things like floor mats can be picked up almost anywhere if you're happy with generic of course. It seems that Bangkok really is the place for this type of thing however.. If you do happen to find a good accessories shop, let me know!

Another option is to build up your system incrementally.. if you choose your components properly you won't pay any extra overall, and you can stop upgrading whenever you're happy. Here's the way I'd suggest to approach it:

Stage 1: Install an aftermarket CD/MP3 player with line-level preouts (allows you to add an amplifier later without sacrificing sound quality), install component speakers in the front (component = separate midbass spekaers and tweeters), and use the factory rear speakers.

Stage 2: Add a sub. Here you can go for a powered sub or go for a separate amp and subwoofer. The latter will require more installation work and may take up more truck space, but allows (someone with the right knowledge) to tailor its performance to your specific car, budget and musical tastes. If you go custom, it's always better to buy a 4-channel amplifer at this stage, and run it in 3-channel mode with both "rear" channels "bridged" driving the sub (=more power).

Stage 3: Add quality rear speakers. These can run off the CD player for now - your front speakers should always be louder anyway - that's where you're sitting.

Stage 4: Add a dedicated subwoofer amp - use the 4ch amp to run your front and rear speakers only, and a separate amp to run the sub with a little more power. This will clean up your front soundstage (as there's far less load on the 4ch amp), and clean up your bass (as proper sub amps have more current/power).

You can stop at any stage of course, but if you don't start out right you'll probably end up wasting money!

- if you need system you can talk to me . i personally know some audio shop and can get an edge on price .

but that aside .

i agree with the comment above .

and also depend on what you need .

a good set of component can usually do the trick - as the mid bass is powerfully enough .. if you run it with some good amplifer .

some workshop - is famous for only for ea cracking award . SQ wise some is far from ok .

would be nice if we can meet up , i am sure there would be alot to share and learn from :o