Internal Travel

Flying Kiwi

Never travel far from home without your passport.  If you get in trouble, you'll land in jail until somebody can bring you the passport.  It's the only proof you have that you are here legally and not on a overstay.

Rare...but it happens.

15 minutes ago, canopus1969 said:

Any (legal) Passport you have is fine, as is a Thai DL

A Thai DL doesn't prove you are in the country legally.  Again, 99.9% of the time it's no big deal.  But for some, it has caused problems.  And they either paid a fine or spent some time in jail.

4 minutes ago, Maejo Man said:

The old chestnut rears it's head again. Wasn't it only recently the chief of immigration said that it was not necessary?

The reality on the street is you need to prove you are in the country legally. That's the law. The only way to do that is via your passport. Odds are you will never have a problem. But some do, so up to you if you want to take the chance.

I fly everywhere within Thailand using my Thai dl, and use it to check-in hotels as well, it has your passport number on it.
That said, it's very good advice to keep your passport with you as well if your going across the country.
Plan B is to have photocopies of your passport Visa page and first page with you.

Sent from my SM-A910F using Tapatalk

On 11/20/2017 at 3:54 PM, craigt3365 said:

A Thai DL doesn't prove you are in the country legally.  Again, 99.9% of the time it's no big deal.  But for some, it has caused problems.  And they either paid a fine or spent some time in jail.

Please elaborate and tell us the facts of anyone ever spending time in jail for traveling inside Thailand with a Thai drivers license please? 

They usually announce for boarding " please present your ticket, passport or id". I always use my passport.  I like to know where it is and feel safer if it's on me.  I have been stopped while driving and asked by a cop for my passport.  I didn't have it with me.  No big problem but he said I should carry at all times.  That is the real life situation much to the dismay no doubt of the bar stool lawyers who will say differently.  To them I say.... Argue with the cop in that situation and see the result. 

1 hour ago, Wake Up said:

Please elaborate and tell us the facts of anyone ever spending time in jail for traveling inside Thailand with a Thai drivers license please? 

Jail time would not be for travelling within the country but having no proof that you were in Thailand legally.  This can happen anywhere.  A photocopy of your passport is usually suffice for this purpose.

On 11/20/2017 at 9:38 AM, canopus1969 said:

Any (legal) Passport you have is fine, as is a Thai DL

A Thai DL may be Okay for attending the domestic flight – I've tried that, showing Thai DL only, some years back – but if OP is stopped in a police-check and has no passport, he may be held back until he can prove his legal stay in the Kingdom.

A solution, sometimes recommended by police, is a photocopy of passport, which shall be name-page, page with last entry-stamp, eventually Visa and extension of stay, and departure card that is stampled in the passport (the number must be visible).

:smile:

12 hours ago, Maejo Man said:

The old chestnut rears it's head again. Wasn't it only recently the chief of immigration said that it was not necessary?

Get your facts straight.. This is what he said..

Failure to carry your original passport may result in a 2,000-baht fine. ... He said tourists would not have to carry their original passports and expats could use a Thai driving license if they have one, and a photocopy of their passport as a form of identification.Oct 6, 2014

9 hours ago, Wake Up said:

Follow the news and you'll read reports of foreigners having their documents checked. Sometimes on Sukhumvit in Bangkok. Normally a fine on the spot gets you off. Or at a bar. No passport can result in you being taken to the police station.

Follow the news.

7 hours ago, HHTel said:

Jail time would not be for travelling within the country but having no proof that you were in Thailand legally.  This can happen anywhere.  A photocopy of your passport is usually suffice for this purpose.

Usually. But not always. Especially if you get caught up in something. Copies can be doctored and they know that.

10 minutes ago, Jeffrey346 said:

Get your facts straight.. This is what he said..

Failure to carry your original passport may result in a 2,000-baht fine. ... He said tourists would not have to carry their original passports and expats could use a Thai driving license if they have one, and a photocopy of their passport as a form of identification.Oct 6, 2014

That was from a long time ago. And as we know, what top officials say doesn't always work it's way down to the cop on the street.

Take your chances. Not worth it IMHO.