Applying for multiple non-o in uk

Hi 

I'm just after a little info if any one can help.

I'm offshore near the U.K. so was in contact with the Thai consulate in Glasgow regarding a multiple entry non-o based on my kid. 

This is the email I got back...

You cannot get a Non O unless you are married to a Thai.  Only the mothers have custody rights over their children.

You could of course get a single entry tourist visa valid for 60 days and then get a further 30 days at immigration wherever you are in Thailand.

Kay

I think this is a bit strange as I've been getting non-o single entries from Laos no problem. 

Has any one else had this problem from the U.K.?

The only reason I contacted the Glasgow office as this was the closest and I was going to apply in person.

If I apply to the London embassy will It get refused?

Thanks in advance 

Scott

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
9 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

"Only mothers have custody rights over their children".

Revolting.

She's probably just quoting the rules she doesn't make them

I think she probably will be quoting what she has been told, and she is no doubt a nice lady!

But the thing I can't understand is I've had 3 non-o single entries from Thai embassy in Vientiane, Laos as this is all they issue there, I've been informed that I can get multiple entry from Malaysia.

So why has she been told that you need to be married to be issued a non-o and that I'm only entitled to a tourist visa!!

That's my question. 

Has anyone else been told this from any of the  U.K. consulates or the embassy??

From the Thai Embassy London. Not sure if that includes multi entry or not.

"Non-Immigrant Type O 

Birth Certificate (applicant's child)"

Category "O"   To visit Thai spouse, children, parents, voluntary job, retirement (with State Pension)
Edited by Phuket Man
  • Like 1

Kay is undoubtedly a very nice lady who does not know how incredibly ignorant she is.

I don’t see your point, you say that consuls have restrictions to their ability to issue visas and Kay told him what he was entitled to from Glasgow. What grounds do you have for calling her Incredibly ignorant?

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, tgeezer said:
29 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Kay is undoubtedly a very nice lady who does not know how incredibly ignorant she is.

I don’t see your point, you say that consuls have restrictions to their ability to issue visas and Kay told him what he was entitled to from Glasgow. What grounds do you have for calling her Incredibly ignorant?

Well, for one thing, stating that ,in Thailand, only the mother has custody over the couple's children (which may be true in some cases, but is not always true) and implying that no visa to visit his Thai child would be possible anywhere unless he was married to the mother. The communication was short, so she did not have the opportunity to reveal her ignorance further.

21 minutes ago, tgeezer said:

14 hours ago, scottyp1980 said:

You cannot get a Non O unless you are married to a Thai.  Only the mothers have custody rights over their children.

i call this ignorant

11 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

"Only mothers have custody rights over their children".

Revolting.

Agreed, although revolting and as harsh as it is, under Thai law, unless the OP has legitimised the child either by marriage or a Thai court / Amphur office, then I'm afraid she is unfortunately perfectly correct in her statement, for example the OP would not be allowed to apply for an extension of stay in Thailand based on his child if no legalisation has been done, up until not that long ago the UK had the same attitude with regards to passing citizenship.

She is also correct that Glasgow would not be able to issue a ME Non O visa regardless of the circumstances, this can only be done in London now.

To be fair, Kay doesn't make the rules, she could have perhaps been a tad more subtle though!

Edited by Mattd
  • Like 1

i got a single entry non-imm-o from London when I produced evidence that I was

in receipt of my OAP, I was not offered any multi-entry non-imm-o's or any multi-entry Tourist visa as it appears they have phased them out.

I applied in Liverpool and it took about five days. 

Well, for one thing, stating that ,in Thailand, only the mother has custody over the couple's children (which may be true in some cases, but is not always true) and implying that no visa to visit his Thai child would be possible anywhere unless he was married to the mother. The communication was short, so she did not have the opportunity to reveal her ignorance further.

We don’t know what information Scott provided but we have to assume that it was enough for “Kay” to establish which of “some cases” his situation came under.

6 minutes ago, tgeezer said:

We don’t know what information Scott provided but we have to assume that it was enough for “Kay” to establish which of “some cases” his situation came under.

I didn't submit any evidence. 

I just emailed the Glasgow consulate asking if they did applying in person non-o multiple entry based on having a child. 

I have all the corrects documents required according to the London embassy website (copy birth certificate , proof of income), these have been good enough when applying in Vientiane where I have been issued 3 non -o in the past but there I have also had to provide copies of my sons / girlfriends blue book and her ID card but according to the London embassy website this is not required!

I can't understand why I have been issued in Laos without being married but according to the Glasgow office I'm not entitled to the non-o unless I'm married. Also I know lots of people in Thailand what are not also married and get the multiple non-o!!!

The lady also states in the email ' 

Only the mothers have custody rights over their children.'

I don't understand this comment as I'm not wanting custody I stay in Thailand with my child and girlfriend as a family and have no intention of having custody!!

in receipt of my OAP, I was not offered any multi-entry non-imm-o's or any multi-entry Tourist visa as it appears they have phased them out.

I suspect that in your case Liverpool applied for the only visa available to you, did they fill out the form for you? It is £50 for that visa £125 for the multi entry visa and more paperwork than simply a pension statement required. I can't remember how much postage cost so no way of knowing if application to a consulate is cheaper than applying by post to London yourself.

5 minutes ago, scottyp1980 said:

I just emailed the Glasgow consulate asking if they did applying in person non-o multiple entry based on having a child. 

Only the embassy can issue a multiple entry non-o visa.

The Glasgow consulate website has no info on it. This from the Hull website.

Non-Immigrant Visas

Non-Immigrant SINGLE ENTRY Visas which the Hull Consulate can issue subject to London Embassy approval: (Non-Immigrant Visas with MULTIPLE ENTRIES can only be issued by Royal Thai Embassy London)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Only the embassy can issue a multiple entry non-o visa.

The Glasgow consulate website has no info on it. This from the Hull website.

Thanks for the info ubonjoe. 

In your opinion if I send my passport and required documents to the London embassy will I get issued the multiple non-o without being married? 

23 minutes ago, scottyp1980 said:

In your opinion if I send my passport and required documents to the London embassy will I get issued the multiple non-o without being married? 

Yes you can and they don't require financial proof. 

You will need your child's birth certificate and a copy of their house book registry.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Yes you can and they don't require financial proof. 

You will need your child's birth certificate and a copy of their house book registry.

Ok, that's great. 

The reason I mentioned proof of income is on the London website it states that in one of the sections for the non-o.

I have copies off all the above. I'll get it sent off tomorrow. 

Cheers 

2 minutes ago, scottyp1980 said:

The reason I mentioned proof of income is on the London website it states that in one of the sections for the non-o.

That is an error on the website that has been there for a long time. It is even has the wrong amount since it is about equal to what is needed for retirement.

Scott, Your email to the Glasgow consulate contained nothing like enough information for a proper response, why not take the documents to Glasgow and ask them?

You have obviously asked this question; What possible grounds are there to refuse an unmarried couple with a child spending time together if it is legal?
As ubonjoe is saying, there are none.
The income requirement is the second bullet and also demands that you be married which doesn't apply to you. Your application should be based on the first bullet point, that of visiting your child.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tgeezer said:

Scott, Your email to the Glasgow consulate contained nothing like enough information for a proper response, why not take the documents to Glasgow and ask them?

It seems you did not read my post quoting the info on the Hull consulate website.

The honorary consulates cannot issue multiple entry non-o visa and a single entry needs approval from the embassy.

7 minutes ago, tgeezer said:

You have obviously asked this question; What possible grounds are there to refuse an unmarried couple with a child spending time together if it is legal?
As ubonjoe is saying, there are none.
The income requirement is the second bullet and also demands that you be married which doesn't apply to you. Your application should be based on the first bullet point, that of visiting your child.

Thanks for the message. 

But as ubonjoe has pointed out the Glasgow consulate don't issue the non-o visa.

Im going to send my passport and required documents off to London. 

But yep as you have said there is no grounds to refuse my application. 

If I was to go to Glasgow and it gets refused which it will even tho I have all the correct documents that's a day wasted and money on travel etc. 

I didn't realize that Glasgow was inconvenient for you. I was suggesting that although Glasgow may not issue the visa they may be able to advise in consultation with London on any suplementary documents which London may require. I realize now that this is naive of me since if they can't be trusted to issue the visa, any communication with London considering your entitlement to it is unlikely to carry any weight.
Ubonjoe, apologies I did read your post but as I have said I realize that I was naive.

• Like 1

Just now, tgeezer said:

I didn't realize that Glasgow was inconvenient for you. I was suggesting that although Glasgow may not issue the visa they may be able to advise in consultation with London on any suplementary documents which London may require. I realize now that this is naive of me since if they can't be trusted to issue the visa, any communication with London considering your entitlement to it is unlikely to carry any weight.
Ubonjoe, apologies I did read your post but as I have said I realize that I was naive.

Yeah Glasgow is a little inconvenient but since it is closer than London is the reason I asked if I could get the visa in person which would save my time in the U.K. 

3 hours ago, zoza said:

I received a multiple entry  non Imm O based on receiving state pension from Thai Embassy London earlier this year as that was what I applied for. If you applied for a single entry why should they offer you a multiple entry?