Foreigners queuing up to be hit in the back by monk with a hammer!

webfact

Foreigners queuing up to be hit in the back by monk with a hammer!

6pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Up to a hundred people a day - including many foreigners - believe a monk with a hammer can rid them of back and neck pain.

The monk - known as "Phra Maha Si Phrai" will give you a few supposedly healthy whacks at a clinic set up in Pak Kret, Nonthaburi.

Someone went on Facebook to say the treatment had given them a new lease of life after they lost their job.

But netizens were skeptical - some liked the treatment but many said it was quackery.

Reporters went to the Avatar Clinic to see for themselves and found one room kitted out as a traditional massage place.

Here the monk was giving a foreign man a few hits.

The technique that targets the nerves rather than the bones is supposed to be helpful in the treatment of various back and neck pain especially a condition known as cervical spondylosis or neck arthritis.

The owner of the clinic said that at least 40 people and sometimes as many as 100 were coming in every day - and they all came back for more saying it did them good.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-11-21

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just another get rich scam by a monk.

Another day another scam, and some brain dead folk will believe it because it is being done by a monk.

Just like 3 years ago for me.

Wife insisted we visit this monk at his temple near Mahasarakam.

The monk could make me walk again:cheesy:

Using his own special massage, 3 days of him messing about so called special massage, he told my wife i can feel his back getting better, keep bringing him here, i will fix his back.:cheesy:

My wife has always refused to tell me how many thousands of baht he took from her.

I was taken on a visit to see a performing monk in a Bangkok house, nearly thirty years ago.

To rid people of their 'ills', in the finale he put his hand and one guy's head, fiddled about and produced a large egg from the guy's mouth. It was cracked open and produced a live chick.

It was an excellent trick, I really wanted to clap to show my appreciation for his sleight of hand, but was discouraged from doing so by my Thai g/f at the time.

Actually if you have a back problem the monk will succeed in a few cases , with trapped nerves he could get lucky and hit the right spot.  Just like my physiotherapist . 

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

Just another get rich scam by a monk.

Another day another scam, and some brain dead folk will believe it because it is being done by a monk.

Just like 3 years ago for me.

Wife insisted we visit this monk at his temple near Mahasarakam.

The monk could make me walk again:cheesy:

Using his own special massage, 3 days of him messing about so called special massage, he told my wife i can feel his back getting better, keep bringing him here, i will fix his back.:cheesy:

My wife has always refused to tell me how many thousands of baht he took from her.

Yes, it's a bit sad really how many people seem to revere these fools.

Personally I stopped giving any form of charity to monks or temples after seeing the way that thief Buddha Issara behaved. Anyone that gives money to these people needs his head felt in my view.

Same as any religion, they are corporately only interested in the power and influence that comes from the patronage given to them from on high. All religion is (in my view) a con game designed only to separate the gullible from as much money as possible. That's not to say there aren't some good people among the monks of every religion, only that they too are gullible and are being taken advantage of by the body corporate.

Sadly, in a poor and gullible country, even the most transparent and amateurish of frauds attracts believers.

I had cervical spondylosis for several years, in fact it occasionally re-appears though not so severe. My treatment was at a hospital where I lay on my back, on a flat table with a brace around my head and jaw, attached to weights hanging down. The mechanism slowly applied the weight, then released it. about one cycle every two minutes, which slowly stretched the neck to separate the vertebrae, worked after about two treatments a week for three months, along with hot packs etc.        No monks or hammers in sight thank you very much.

Mind you I am now 7 foot 5 inches tall........:tongue:

My wife has been trying to get me to go to this place for weeks and she won't let up. I have watched no less than a half-dozen YouTube videos of this same group using the rubber hammer and stick to pound on the vertebrae. Who in the world would be dumb enough to believe that this sort of quackery will actually help?  In a worse case scenario one could wind up with a shattered vertebrae and be paralyzed.  I saw one fellow who had a rag wrapped around his neck and chin as he lay flat on his back. The strongman sat behind his head and in one jerking motion pulled the patient's head back as if he were stretching the neck. It looked like he was trying to pull his head off. That has got to be extremely dangerous. Oh well, if you ask me most of these foreigners know better, but they allow their Thai girlfriends and wives to pressure them into being complete fools.

Nothing new, it's called "tok-sen" , one of the many techniques of traditional Thai massage used throughout Thailand. 

Many of the comments so far just highlights the complete lack of understanding of the cultural and traditions of Thailand. 

Probably better for most to stay in the bar and enjoy their pseudo immersion into Thailand. 

Now whether this "monk" actually knows what he is doing is another story. 

3 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I was taken on a visit to see a performing monk in a Bangkok house, nearly thirty years ago.

To rid people of their 'ills', in the finale he put his hand and one guy's head, fiddled about and produced a large egg from the guy's mouth. It was cracked open and produced a live chick.

It was an excellent trick, I really wanted to clap to show my appreciation for his sleight of hand, but was discouraged from doing so by my Thai g/f at the time.

I'm in if he can pull a grilled chicken thigh from the cracked egg with some sticky rice to stop it up 

Actually Richard Cracknell ...a back guy from Phuket ...who unfortunately is no longer ...tipped me completely upside down on his contraption and 'fired off' this gadget a few times which basically hammered my back ...low and behold it fixed it for months. IF these guys were actually completely inverted I could see a possibility that it may help ..............  

Archived