Extention of Stay (Retirement) in Jomtien

chicowoodduck

Well, once again time to make the journey down to Soi 5 to the Royal Thai Immigration Office and do the extention of stay paper trail.....once again got there early and a low number...woo, woo....as has been the case the last 13+ times I have done the dance they told me that I was missing some paperwork copies....darn...even had the folks next door check it over before heading next door to get in line....still a few pages short.....?????? Oh well, just part of the dance I suppose....just wonder were they store all the paper stuff?

No complaints from my end once again....easy in and out and back tomorrow to pick up my passport and apply for my multi-entry permit and Bob's your Uncle....????

IMG_6347.JPG

I went in last week and did the same. They do have a paper they hand out with the extension form that lists what you need to bring: proof of residence, income, etc. They did not mention on that page that they want copy of first retirement visa in current passport. The lady at desk 8 mentioned that I needed a copy and then gobsmacked me "I make copy for you".

I see it as something of a game: can I have all the copies I need? Admit it is like betting on snake eyes in craps... In and out very fast, and this was even coming in the afternoon.

I too was there this morning also needing to get copies of bank acct pages, and I had omitted the previous visa pages... 

The girls on the desk were very cheerful and helpful, as was the lad doing the photocopying, all of whom have unenviable jobs dealing with good, bad and ugly people...from around the world....,which would drive most people crazy

Well done to them

Looking forward to returning there tomorrow

30 minutes ago, Emster23 said:

I see it as something of a game: can I have all the copies I need? Admit it is like betting on snake eyes in craps

It really is possible to have everything you need without being sent off for additional copies or whatever. Not a craps game if you take a little time to get organized before you go in. Of course having said that just a month before I go in for my 11th renewal, I may have jinxed myself.

32 minutes ago, Emster23 said:

They did not mention on that page that they want copy of first retirement visa in current passport.

You mean the copy of the first extension in the current passport? In my case, the grandfathering visa is long ago expired and is in a passport that has been replaced twice-over and probably lying in a nightstand in a house somewhere.

34 minutes ago, Emster23 said:

The lady at desk 8 mentioned that I needed a copy and then gobsmacked me "I make copy for you".

Same pleasant surprise I got last year when she found my submission shy of a vital copy and she just slapped the original of whatever it was on the printer/scanner on her desktop and I signed it and we were done.

Post 6 and 7 spot on, I gave them more than they needed or asked for.

I got a sense what is required depends on the person and their mood.

But I must agree with most posts here and yes they asked me previously (last year) to bring the original visa from years gone by for this year.

There is also a new short form to sign regarding rules, page one: pom mai cowjai (i didn't understand even after she explained it) page two is about penalties for overstays, arrests, etc.

Strange as always every officer different needs....i went september copys of bankbook no need comment as all same as on bank letter and on my passbook ..no tm 28 or 30 asked ..( as never had..).no residence certificate ..only my rent contract..copys of passportpages..and application form .....so as always different officer different rules to follow ...this year and year before always by the little guy on outside corner handled...quick worker double speed than the behind counter ones ....i guess if i go next year with only applic.passport and copys and contract and bankletter only ....they probably need more if other officer ....?

7 hours ago, thailien8 said:

Did no one get hit up for a fine regarding the TM30 requirement?

Jomtien did me out of a couple thousand baht last year when I went to renew my retirement extension.

No, because I always report back even when I leave LOS for a day.....just take the worry out of the equation by doing it......??

You were perhaps behind me as I did my 90 days reporting.

Things looked to be getting done rather efficiently over there.

Only complaint might be how close they have spaced the seats.. must be expecting a midget convention.

45 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Only complaint might be how close they have spaced the seats.. must be expecting a midget convention.

First off, i do think they do a good job at immigration, way better than some of  other offices in Thailand. :thumbsup:

But the close spacing of the seats,   are to accommodate the growing number of useless people that have no business in there,   apart from holding grown mens hands.

Please leave the useless people at home,   or let them go to the salon or massage parlor for some pampering.

(exception the infirm or disabled that need help )

Also it's about time immigration thought about the environment,  with this ever increasing wast of unnecessary paper work . it's 2017 not 1973.

what are we up to now,  9-10 sheets of paper for a 12 months extension of stay !!!!!!!!

maybe more. come on immigration stop this deforestation on your behalf. :jap:

4 hours ago, chicowoodduck said:

No, because I always report back even when I leave LOS for a day.....just take the worry out of the equation by doing it......??

I agree. Peace of mind is a great thing. Just out of interest, how long ago did you jump on the TM30 bandwagon?

As I said they were friendly, helpful and polite

Unlike businesses, where we have all experienced the "What" accompanied by their aggressive face

Experienced this only last Friday at the insurance company next to Toyota on Sukhumvit.....I asked why my premium was only B2,000 less than last years B24,000

"well you made a claim" said the dumpy overweight, black hornrimmed spec wearing ugly woman

"true but it was caused by a woman riding at speed the wrong way in Sukhumvit" smashing into the front of my vehicle

"well you should have called the police"

she retorts

"I did, don't you read the accident reports?"

Silence

It was obvious I was wasting my time..... The "thing" obviously dislikes farangs

So once again.  A Big thumbs up for Immigration

11 hours ago, thailien8 said:

Jomtien did me out of a couple thousand baht last year when I went to renew my retirement extension.

Such reports are not really helpful without some more details relating to why you 'suddenly' got banged up for a TM30 violation. Things like any change in registered abode between extension renewals and/or evidence in passport or immigration databases of otherwise unreported departure and re-entry to Thailand?

Previous recipients of this dubious honor have been more vocal about the extra cost and maligning the already much maligned Immigration officers rather than telling us exactly why they got 'caught'... which isn't the same as why they think they got caught. Pretty sure they are told exactly why at the time their wallets are lightened, no?

17 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Such reports are not really helpful without some more details relating to why you 'suddenly' got banged up for a TM30 violation. Things like any change in registered abode between extension renewals and/or evidence in passport or immigration databases of otherwise unreported departure and re-entry to Thailand?

Previous recipients of this dubious honor have been more vocal about the extra cost and maligning the already much maligned Immigration officers rather than telling us exactly why they got 'caught'... which isn't the same as why they think they got caught. Pretty sure they are told exactly why at the time their wallets are lightened, no?

Never i have be asked or controled to 28 or tm 30 by my last 2 ret.ext. or my personal 90 day rapports in those 2 years....but i did not left country for 3 years and stay same place...

16 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

It really is possible to have everything you need without being sent off for additional copies or whatever. Not a craps game if you take a little time to get organized before you go in. Of course having said that just a month before I go in for my 11th renewal, I may have jinxed myself.

You probably have, I thought I had all the necessary paperwork after many,many checks before going for my retirement one year extension,I thought find something wrong with that if you can, I sat there all quiet as per usual,waiting, and blow me down if she didn't say "I want todays date for your bank statement,", I quietly,slowly said,"I thought it was okay as long as it's within seven days",mine was two days old, she said,"I want todays date",so, off I went on my three hour jaunt, same day for bank statement,new one for me, if they want to find something they will,because they can,never mind,next one coming up soon,hope it's a nice male one, it's only the females ones I get a problem with.

As for visiting Jomtien Immigration not only do they do a good job but have many 'different' people of all nationalities to deal with, the 'students' are fantastic for helping out people, and as for the 'in' and 'out' quickly, it depends on time of the year,last month and now are the best months,try it February March time, for me it was the time for one year retirement extension,reentry,and usually the 90 day was around the same time,queues every time, no matter early morning or afternoon.

18 hours ago, NanLaew said:

You mean the copy of the first extension in the current passport? In my case, the grandfathering visa is long ago expired and is in a passport that has been replaced twice-over and probably lying in a nightstand in a house somewhere.

Same pleasant surprise I got last year when she found my submission shy of a vital copy and she just slapped the original of whatever it was on the printer/scanner on her desktop and I signed it and we were done.

First extension in current passport. I have my first first extension buried somewhere in the debris I call home in that long expired passport.... luckily they don't want that.

Last time I went I had expected the usual cheerful and efficient process for my annual renewal. I had a nice fresh collection of notarized documents from my embassy, BUT... the residency cert is no longer good enough.
I do not even know who the heck my landlord/lady is. The rental document is all in Thai and was signed by my GF, who does not usually live with me...she is still working in Bkk.
Now here is the kicker... the IO in the back room said all these problems would "go away" for a mere 16,000 baht.
Nope. Nope. Nope.
12,000 baht total to go to Savannakhet, stay over night, have some good food, and get a multi-entry visa for Bt 5,000, included in my Bt 12.000 budget.
I have not bothered about extensions as  a trip elsewhere every three months is rather cool.

21 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

First off, i do think they do a good job at immigration, way better than some of  other offices in Thailand. :thumbsup:

But the close spacing of the seats,   are to accommodate the growing number of useless people that have no business in there,   apart from holding grown mens hands.

Please leave the useless people at home,   or let them go to the salon or massage parlor for some pampering.

(exception the infirm or disabled that need help )

Also it's about time immigration thought about the environment,  with this ever increasing wast of unnecessary paper work . it's 2017 not 1973.

what are we up to now,  9-10 sheets of paper for a 12 months extension of stay !!!!!!!!

maybe more. come on immigration stop this deforestation on your behalf. :jap:

Yes there are a few who insist on their partner helping them.... mine refuses to get involved and I have no problems. I find the level of English proficiency to be reasonable in there. Maybe a foreigner who is not an English speaker needs help though. Then there are the older retirees who are physically struggling and need help as you say.

It would be nice if the procedures were simplified, streamlined or more computerized, like the 90 day reporting only needing the bar-code. And a pity they don't seem to support the on-line reporting. My extension is due up soon, and yes I will be copying a lot of sheets.... and perhaps this year I will have it 'right' again, or will be sent off to get something else that has joined the list.

As to the seats, of little use. Most people sit at the end and they are too close to get past someone. 

On 11/21/2017 at 11:34 PM, thailien8 said:

Did you change the registered Thai home address between your previous, easy-peasy extension filing and the one that you were fined on?

On 11/22/2017 at 11:24 AM, DD13 said:

As I said they were friendly, helpful and polite

Unlike businesses, where we have all experienced the "What" accompanied by their aggressive face

Experienced this only last Friday at the insurance company next to Toyota on Sukhumvit.....I asked why my premium was only B2,000 less than last years B24,000

"well you made a claim" said the dumpy overweight, black hornrimmed spec wearing ugly woman

"true but it was caused by a woman riding at speed the wrong way in Sukhumvit" smashing into the front of my vehicle

"well you should have called the police"

she retorts

"I did, don't you read the accident reports?"

Silence

It was obvious I was wasting my time..... The "thing" obviously dislikes farangs

So once again.  A Big thumbs up for Immigration

Yesterday's Swings & Roundabouts post brought to you by...

Archived