New Phone, smartish

NewGuy

Hi guys,

I've been reading handset thread after thread and getting nowhere.

My very old Nokia dumb phone died, again, and now I want something better. Cost: under 10,000 (maybe a lot under). Principle use: making telephone calls and mail. Secondary uses: wireless browsing. Really nice feature: dual sims, enough memory to try out tons of apps. Other stuff: photos, maps, the usual. I've got an AIS sim (had it a long time) and want to keep it.

My iPad takes care of most needs. My research skills are overwhelmed by all the choices.

Suggestions please: model, approximate price, usability rating, why It's right, and where to get here in Pattaya.

Cheers

Thanks Jeffrey346,

I'm doing a spreadsheet, phones and attributes, will analyze the heck out of it, start valuing features that aren't important, and probably spend too much. The Xiaomi tip is appreciated.

A couple of questions: is the Android level important, between Samsung, Xiaomi, ASUS, Lenovo, Huawai and OnePlus which ones put on too much annoying freeware?

Cheers

I'm one of those guys that if it serves my purpose I get it... without too much investigating. If it conks out I'll get another one.

I watched a prog. recently that showed that the high range phone makers were designing phones that should only last about two years anyway.

The batteries will be non removable and last that lenght of time , the phone will be simply build around it. 

I haver been thinking of getting the Motorola E4 at 4990 Baht, that suits my needs with a 5" screen and enough bells & whistles. If you want great battery life and 5.5 screen then another 1000 Baht gets you the E4 plus 5990 baht, this reports reckons the best value for money smart phone at this price point in LOS right now...

Best value smartphone they reckon is the Motorola G4 Plus at 9990 baht

https://tech.thaivisa.com/best-budget-smartphones-available-thailand-right-now/24760/

Edited by Lokie
added info

Yes, the version of Android that you get on the phone is important because you will get to a point when you can no longer update the version on the phone.  It's best to get a phone with the most recent version so you can update for a couple of years.

I previously had an Oppo Joy, The Color OS is a total piece of junk. I have not found anyone happy with their Oppo product. I am glad I lost it and replaced it with a Wiko Kenny for ฿2999 at Jmart 

I don't like Androids much, but this phone with the Android 7 os Nougat is so much better. Has dual sim and I use a 32 Gb SD card with many apps saved to SD, not Sim or OS. But I still prefer my iPhone 6+ for apps. 

1 hour ago, Muzarella said:

Hunwei..specially if you like to take good pictures. Amazing Leica lens. Some reports said that is better than the Iphone in every way.

HUAWEI...Yes, even becomming a serious competitor for Apple...You can find a nice piece under 5000 THB already...

Just now, GuiseppeD said:

I'm sure Apple are seriously worried about Huawei 5000 baht smartphones.

Huawei has a broad range...If you spend over 15000 THB (but this wasn't the purpose for the OP) than you come pretty close to the capabilities of the overpriced Apple devices...Read some reviews, you will be amazed...

1 hour ago, Grumpy Duck said:

I previously had an Oppo Joy, The Color OS is a total piece of junk. I have not found anyone happy with their Oppo product. I am glad I lost it and replaced it with a Wiko Kenny for ฿2999 at Jmart 

I don't like Androids much, but this phone with the Android 7 os Nougat is so much better. Has dual sim and I use a 32 Gb SD card with many apps saved to SD, not Sim or OS. But I still prefer my iPhone 6+ for apps. 

The Oppo F37 works for me. My GF liked it so much she wanted one for her birthday to replace an ageing Samsung. 4900 baht. Perhaps my phone needs are simpler than yours.

2 hours ago, DogNo1 said:

Yes, the version of Android that you get on the phone is important because you will get to a point when you can no longer update the version on the phone.  It's best to get a phone with the most recent version so you can update for a couple of years.

Who cares these stupid non stop updates anyway...

4 hours ago, dotpoom said:

I'm one of those guys that if it serves my purpose I get it... without too much investigating. If it conks out I'll get another one.

I watched a prog. recently that showed that the high range phone makers were designing phones that should only last about two years anyway.

The batteries will be non removable and last that lenght of time , the phone will be simply build around it. 

Batteries in some phones have been non removable for a long time.  Apple started it and others have followed suit.

I find questionable your program's claim that the phone could only last 2 years.       I know that to be inaccurate in my case.

Today is a third day I am with my new Xiaomi mi A1 @ 7590 THB from Lazada. Its amazing! 

I get it after iPhone SE and Lumia 950. Xiaomi outperforms on all parameters. Since it is Android One version, it is absolutely free of aside apps, will be first to get updates from Google for 3 years. I like that it has a Voice Assistant (similar to Siri, Cortana), dual camera makes outstanding photos, huge internal storage (59 GB free besides the system files) 2 SIMs.

And also my experience with Lazada was very  positive. It was delivered on a second day after the order placement, properly packed, COD with tax invoice. Opt for the black - then the screen looks full-face covered. 

WP_20171122_12_01_50_Pro_LI.jpg

WP_20171122_12_00_32_Pro_LI 1.jpg

43 minutes ago, EcigAmateur said:

Who cares these stupid non stop updates anyway...

A year or so ago an upgrade made SD memory cards able to function as internal memory thereby allowing many more applications to be run by the same phone than the limited amount of memory that was included with the phone.  Radical and worthwhile change.  Oreo is supposed to make the phone boot 200% faster and reduce battery usage considerably. 

47 minutes ago, EcigAmateur said:

Samsung are the closest to pure Android.

After Google Pixel, then Sony or perhaps Motorola of the major brands.

When I use my wife's Samsung, pure Android isn't something that comes to mind...

6 hours ago, amvet said:

A year or so ago an upgrade made SD memory cards able to function as internal memory thereby allowing many more applications to be run by the same phone than the limited amount of memory that was included with the phone.  Radical and worthwhile change.  Oreo is supposed to make the phone boot 200% faster and reduce battery usage considerably. 

You are right, we need hundreds of useless apps on a phone...

9 hours ago, EcigAmateur said:

Just go with Samsung. Anything else has exotic stupid useless interface installed, including ALL Chinese phones.

Samsung are the closest to pure Android.

I thought Google Pixel, Motorola, Lenovo and Xiaomi were better known for that. My Samsung forces me to have loads of Apps I simply don't want and can't remove.