Find this pick-up that fled the scene of bike accident!

webfact

Find this pick-up that fled the scene of bike accident!

8pm.jpg

Picture: TNews

CCTV footage from the south of Thailand showed a white Isuzu pick-up stick its nose out into oncoming traffic next to a convenience store in Takuapa, Pangnga.

A motorcycle driven by Watcharin Jaemfung, 30, hit the protruding front of the pick-up. He slid along the tarmac and was lucky not to be run over by oncoming traffic.

He was taken to hospital.

He told Tnews that he looked up after the accident to see the other vehicle fleeing the scene. He wants the driver to face up to his responsibility for the accident and pay for his medical treatment and damage to his bike.

The footage came from a CCTV camera at the property of Phu Yai Ban Banphot Saelim.

Source: TNews

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-11-23

Well, watching the CCTV footage over and over again, you see the pick up start to cross the left lane of traffic and stop when he could finally see that there was oncoming traffic. The motorcycle is flying along in the left lane and doesn't appear to make any effort to slow down and at the last millisecond it looks like he tries to swerve around the front of the pickup and clips the front of it. The pickup appears to have been just starting to back up when the bike hits it.

The bike and rider skitter down the road and come to a stop in the middle, the pickup stops backing up, sees the rider get up and run to the side of the road (yes, he ran), then the pickup drives off. (Back "home" leaving the scene of an accident is a chargeable offence in itself, not sure if it's the same here.)

In many Western countries they prevent vehicles from parking right on the edge of an intersection, which blocks people from seeing oncoming traffic. In the video you can see the white truck pulls up to the intersection and there is another pickup parked right on the corner, blocking the view of the oncoming traffic. That forced the white pickup to pull out into the left lane and it appears that the driver must have noticed the oncoming traffic, stopped, then tried to back up a bit.
The impression I got was the moto rider never even saw the truck until the last second. He was flying down the left lane, a little to the right of the middle of the left lane, not much traffic either way. It's hard to tell but it doesn't look like he even tried to brake at all.

I've had people pull out in front of me like that (bikes and cars/trucks) and have had to take evasive action and I watch for exactly that kind of thing every time I ride. I fully expect that at every intersection and side street that someone will pull out in front of me without even looking to see if there is oncoming traffic. It's almost like they teach people not to look ! In this case it looks like the driver of the pickup can't see to his/her right because of the vehicles parked on the corner. He/she must have been looking though because you can see the pickup pull out, stop for a moment, then start backing up.

I still remember when I did my driving test nearly 40 years ago. The only points I lost on the test were for "blocking a crosswalk" because the examiner used a route where there were hedges blocking your vision on the left at one intersection. I stopped (properly) at the stop line, started to move into the intersection and saw traffic coming so I stopped again. However, this meant I was over the crosswalk so he docked me points even though he well knew I had no choice. (They hate to give anyone a perfect score apparently.)

I'm sure they won't have a problem tracking down that white pickup, what with the (now dented) black front right quarter panel and all. 

In a country where the police force is paid the low wages they are, how do you really not

expect corruption within their work place.  I talked with a lot of the officers and I agree

that 9000 US dollars a year is not a great salary, How much do you posters get with your

savings or pensions, or money from Mom and Dad?  A lot more than that I will assume.

Geezer

At the end of my road joining a larger road with a 7-11 on the corner, makes life difficult pulling out to turn left as there are always cars/pickups parked out in the road !! Of course the mc’s don’t slow down at all and you have to stick your nose out into traffic to see, just like the video shown .

Have seen a couple of accidents similar to the above ( nothing really serious ) , just waiting for my turn !!

From what I see in the video, pickup vision is restricted and mc rider speeding along oblivious of the risks he’s taking . Nothing new here !

11 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

At the end of my road joining a larger road with a 7-11 on the corner, makes life difficult pulling out to turn left as there are always cars/pickups parked out in the road !! Of course the mc’s don’t slow down at all and you have to stick your nose out into traffic to see, just like the video shown .

Have seen a couple of accidents similar to the above ( nothing really serious ) , just waiting for my turn !!

From what I see in the video, pickup vision is restricted and mc rider speeding along oblivious of the risks he’s taking . Nothing new here !

Poor road design is the cause of many accidents here. When this is combined with people parking in daft places, with numerous signs blocking the vision up the street on to which we are trying to pull out accidents such as this are waiting to happen. 

Ultimately the driver pulling out is at fault for the accident, however poor road design, inhibitive signage and people parking in places which obstruct vision are also complicit. 

Unfortunately someone has to be blamed and it will always be the person edging out with limited vision. 

Archived