Grassroots groups helping stop road carnage as 2016 death toll confirmed as 22,000 or 61 a day

webfact

Grassroots groups helping stop road carnage as 2016 death toll confirmed as 22,000 or 61 a day

2pm.jpg

Picture: Ban Muang

A public action group promoting road safety has confirmed that the death toll on Thai roads last year was 22,356.

This amounted to 61 people dying each and every day.

Last week a conference in Bangkok was told that the figure was only 15,000.

The Accident Prevention Network (APN) were in Nan province to hand out awards to members of the community in the northern province who were doing something proactive to bring the alarming statistics down.

Among the recipients of awards was the community of Ban Nam Lorm who in the past have received recognition from international agencies as leaders in promoting public health and safety.

They were named as the third best community in Thailand for such practices.

The APN said that the community's work in encouraging helmet use and promoting good driving behavior was key in helping with the accident statistics at a grassroots level.

Other awardees includes a media organisation and an insurance company who were honored for their work.

Source: Ban Muang

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-11-23

Grassroots groups are fine, but in hierarchical and centralised Thailand where the administration, particularly the police, hold a disproportionate amount of power, they will make virtually no difference.

A solution is within grasp. They just need to look to Malaysia who have dramatically reduced their fatality and serious injury rate. Or virtually any other country in the developed or developing world. But without the co-operation of the police and the Land Transport Dept. it is just a drop in the ocean.

p.s. they should be arrested for an illegal gathering.

Edited by Briggsy

6 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

The government doesn't give a sh%t

If you want a government that gives a sh%t, then seek out a nanny state

Then you will have no choice but to give a sh%t and help yourself, plus others at the same time

So where does that leave us, OH yes dont want to go there do we 

4 hours ago, peperobi said:

The total amount is even by 22,356 not correct because they count only the peoples that died at the incident place, many peoples die few days/weeks after as because of the fatality.

Probably so.

Anyway, in the US 102 traffic deaths per day.

Thailand 61 per day.

Tragic.

39 minutes ago, hansnl said:

Probably so.

Thailand 61 per day.

Tragic.

Are you implying some comparison between the US and Thailand?

If so that's tragic.

If compared per 100,000 population:

US ...............  10.6

Thailand .....  36.2

World Health Organization (updated 2017-05-05)

http://apps.who.int/gho/data/node.main.A997

Just drive a car with hidden camera's through Thailand and put all those lousy drivers on national tv at night. Make them loose face as much as you can.

Also stop them and give them a serious fine so it will all be on tv.

Thai people look down to motocycles and won't even stop for them i noticed. They seriously have attitude issues.

1 hour ago, hansnl said:

Probably so.

Thailand 61 per day.

Tragic.

Did you bother to check the relative population numbers, just for fun of course as it's not really important, now is it? 

24 minutes ago, organic said:

A fairer comparison is with the UK, having a bit smaller population than Thailand, 1792 road deaths in 2016, about 5/day.

You are perfectly correct of course, but a comparison was not in his thoughts

What he posted was a poorly disguised defence of the Thai figures

Sad, but there it is

1 hour ago, Srikcir said:

Are you implying some comparison between the US and Thailand?

If so that's tragic.

If compared per 100,000 population:

US ...............  10.6

Thailand .....  36.2

World Health Organization (updated 2017-05-05)

http://apps.who.int/gho/data/node.main.A997

Please don't confuse the OP with facts. 

7 hours ago, hansnl said:

Probably so.

Thailand 61 per day.

Tragic.

The US has roughly 5 times Thailand's population though, so until the US hits 300 or so road deaths per day, then it's way behind Thailand in per capita road deaths.

10 hours ago, oldlakey said:

If you want a government that gives a sh%t, then seek out a nanny state

Then you will have no choice but to give a sh%t and help yourself, plus others at the same time

So where does that leave us, OH yes dont want to go there do we 

A government can care about the people without becoming a "nanny state"...

Just a simple but sustained road safety campaign would be a start.

Followed by a proper driving education program, as opposed to the excuse of a test system that is place. 

Combine that with a shake up of the BIB, who could get out and be a bit more pro active, and you could easily half those numbers.

There again, if a large percentage of Thai think that being killed on the roads is just "fate" then its an uphill battle from day 1.

My MIL now wears a helmet. It took about 3 years of gentle persuasion but we got there :)

2 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

A government can care about the people without becoming a "nanny state"...

Just a simple but sustained road safety campaign would be a start.

Followed by a proper driving education program, as opposed to the excuse of a test system that is place. 

Combine that with a shake up of the BIB, who could get out and be a bit more pro active, and you could easily half those numbers.

There again, if a large percentage of Thai think that being killed on the roads is just "fate" then its an uphill battle from day 1.

My MIL now wears a helmet. It took about 3 years of gentle persuasion but we got there :)

I could not agree with you more, yes all that would be nice

I hope you realise though that what you suggest puts you on the ROAD towards becoming a nanny state, road safety campaign, driver training, a police force fit for purpose, one step at a time please, slow down

As for the MIL, whats your next move no riding against the traffic or obeying traffic lights

As old Tony Quinn said to Omar in Lawrence of Arabia, It was written then

Good luck with the MIL and safe driving to you, and everybody else of course

It's an urgent problem and a national disgrace, but nothing real will be done, apart from lying about the numbers. They need a real driving test, as it is Thais can get a licence without ever having driven on the roads, what could possibly go wrong  :shock1:

17 hours ago, peperobi said:

The total amount is even by 22,356 not correct because they count only the peoples that died at the incident place, many peoples die few days/weeks after as because of the fatality.

Correct - the crash that killed a number of students in Bang Sare earlier this week, claimed another life yesterday when the wife of my electrician died leaving three children and a bereft husband.  This black spot could be eradicated by speed cameras (that work.)  There have been EIGHT deaths that I know of but total inaction by the local police/teseban.

29 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

It's an urgent problem and a national disgrace, but nothing real will be done, apart from lying about the numbers. They need a real driving test, as it is Thais can get a licence without ever having driven on the roads, what could possibly go wrong  :shock1:

yes, my wife bought hers and bragged to me many years ago that she hit things only 7 out of 10 times in practice drives; 

i dont believe the test would change much;

their driving inability stems from a cultural flaw; namely, disregard for others and lack of respect for order; 

those are ingrained and manifest themselves on the roads as awful driving judgment

1 hour ago, oldlakey said:

I could not agree with you more, yes all that would be nice

I hope you realise though that what you suggest puts you on the ROAD towards becoming a nanny state, road safety campaign, driver training, a police force fit for purpose, one step at a time please, slow down

As for the MIL, whats your next move no riding against the traffic or obeying traffic lights

As old Tony Quinn said to Omar in Lawrence of Arabia, It was written then

Good luck with the MIL and safe driving to you, and everybody else of course

Actually the MIL gets on ma tits, so I'll maybe hide her helmet !!!