Patong entertainment businesses say longer hours is the solution to corruption issue

snoop1130

Patong entertainment businesses say longer hours is the solution to corruption issue

By Kritsada Mueanhawong

bangla-road-entrance.jpg

The Patong Entertainment Business Association has weighed into the Patong Bribery scandal insisting that the the issue will never be solved unless the laws are changed – specifically the laws that will allow them to stay open longer.

The President of Patong Entertainment Business Association, Weerawit Kruasombat, says that the law should be changed and the entertainment avenues should be allowed to close at 4 am as bribes have been paid from the businesses in order to extend their closing time.

“This has happened for a long time. We have called for a change many times but our requests for longer opening times are being ignored. This is the weak point of law enforcement that creates bribe opportunities. The bribes do not concern the police only, but many government sectors around the island.”

Full Story: https://www.phuketgazette.net/news/patong-entertainment-businesses-say-longer-hours-solution-corruption-issue

pgazette_logo-20170817.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2017-11-24

21 minutes ago, trogers said:

Let them open from noon to midnight. Is 12 hours long enough?

No..................come on guys this is an international destination, not an old folks convention. I am 70 and I think its crazy to stop the party at 12 pm.

When I first migrated to New Zealand  (in the 60s) yes nearly half a century ago...closing time was 6pm.....everywhere there was a sneaky drinking place....and everywhere was paying the police.

I wonder which chap in Patong could be pushing this yet again (just re-read the article and there he is!)? I see he admits bribes are being paid (which we knew already). 

Why not just name those that are being paid and get the people that are paying them to come forward en-mass to report the corruption. Hang on- that would end the trough EVERYONE is feeding from. Paying bribes is just as bad as taking them.

It's a vicious circle at present- GO OUT EARLY!!!!!

I used to hate having to wait until later and later to go out when I lived in Patong.

Edited by Psimbo

9 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

No..................come on guys this is an international destination, not an old folks convention. I am 70 and I think its crazy to stop the party at 12 pm.

When I first migrated to New Zealand  (in the 60s) yes nearly half a century ago...closing time was 6pm.....everywhere there was a sneaky drinking place....and everywhere was paying the police.

Pattaya manages to get going earlier- what is so special about Phuket?

2 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

Honestly Psimbo..when I lived there for 8 years Pattaya had always seemed to be a law unto itself, major (non drinking ) holidays would see lines of people at the bars with a large coffee mug ---filled with anything but coffee.

I didn't exactly mean Phuket as an exemption.....most flights seem to land in BKK at night, by the time the tourist get to their hotel and get changed---everything is closing....its mad.

Open hours drinking----gosh they even have it in the small village I lived in the UK last I was there.

14 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

I wonder which chap in Patong could be pushing this yet again (just re-read the article and there he is!)? I see he admits bribes are being paid (which we knew already). 

Why not just name those that are being paid and get the people that are paying them to come forward en-mass to report the corruption. Hang on- that would end the trough EVERYONE is feeding from. Paying bribes is just as bad as taking them.

It's a vicious circle at present- GO OUT EARLY!!!!!

I used to hate having to wait until later and later to go out when I lived in Patong.

Better leave Phuket while you can.

You know the kind of creatures that infest during witching hours.

Benidorm (spain) had 24 hr  opening time  since the 80s

many complains emerged

In 1997 about they  anounced a 3 am closing time for all nightlife

....the complains about noise and other problems increase a lot,due to drinking and patying on the streets

..just 6 month later ,they stopped it,and again ,until today, their is no clothing hour again in general

Thailand need in minimum a clothing time of 4 am

I remember i went to a dsico ,more ten years ago in kochang during taxsins social order campain... orderd a beer at 11.30 and 11.50 they told me dink finnished..........last time i was there

this stupid thing last 6 month in thailand w clothing time 12/ or/1 am in 2003 or2004

how operating night buissenes can do money on that , themoney flow is after 1 am

14 hours ago, trogers said:

Better leave Phuket while you can.

You know the kind of creatures that infest during witching hours.

huh??? Patong is not Phuket, and Phuket is not Thailand. Plenty to do within legal hours outside Patong. I'm not a 'high end tourist' though. I'm a 'high end' long term resident but I thank you for your comment. :stoner:

Edited by Psimbo

15 hours ago, trogers said:

7/11 hours would be better. No policing needed; more staff employed on rotational basis to help unemployment; more income; customers satisfied any time of the day or night. Win, win situation.

If people want to drink and party to dawn in a dedicated party zone, why not allow it. Remove the corrupt from the equation.

If any old farts are put out by people staying up past your bedtime, here's a novel idea, don't live on Bangla Road or go there in the early hours! Why do you feel the need to  apply your standards to others?

The last time I pulled an all nighter was on Bangla for new years eve about a dozen years ago. Great night, but I'm well past it now, I'll be 70 next birthday/

16 hours ago, trogers said:

Most of the bars and clubs on Bangla road are not open at 12 noon.

If they were allowed to be open for 12 hours I am certain they would

choose 4pm-4am. If these were the legal hours of operation the BIB

would not be able to squeeze them so much. One thing is certain the BIB

is the main group who do not want the closing hours extended.

46 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

If people want to drink and party to dawn in a dedicated party zone, why not allow it. Remove the corrupt from the equation.

If any old farts are put out by people staying up past your bedtime, here's a novel idea, don't live on Bangla Road or go there in the early hours! Why do you feel the need to  apply your standards to others?

The last time I pulled an all nighter was on Bangla for new years eve about a dozen years ago. Great night, but I'm well past it now, I'll be 70 next birthday/

Totally agree Old Croc.........many people come here to party after all and if venues wish to stay open to cater for them, then all well and good IMO.

I don't pull all-nighters any more, but was out celebrating my 70th birthday on Thursday (on Bangla) til way past "normal" closing time!

2 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Totally agree Old Croc.........many people come here to party after all and if venues wish to stay open to cater for them, then all well and good IMO.

I don't pull all-nighters any more, but was out celebrating my 70th birthday on Thursday (on Bangla) til way past "normal" closing time!

I guess if the flesh wasn't so weak these days my mind would still want to venture there occasionally for the experiences. Good luck old timer. 

17 hours ago, Psimbo said:

Pattaya as stated earlier is supposed to be an international tourist area. Even in laid-back Boston, Mass in US where I am from the clubs don't close until 2 AM.  Many locals would work till 5-6PM go home rest a bit shower go out to a movie dinner then hit the clubs .  When I first came to Pattaya in 2000 the clubs were open till 4 --5  AM  During the day my friends and I would visit temples , Koh Larn and other sites then go back to hotel  eat , shower  and change then go to Walking Street until probably 2AM   12 midnite is too early and I am 70 now still say it's too early. Thailandcan control problems by doing what they do in Boston , police  get paid details (paid by clubs)  to go to clubs check id's and provide extra security, not just the bouncers.

Edited by Tony125

This forced closing is strictly BS. They say it is to prevent crime and trying to enforce no drinking.it is simply a way to fill there pockets from the police collectors up the line so they will allow them to stay open past the so called curfew. Many of the bars not closing at curfew are owned by police or higher ups. When I first started coming here many years ago there was no forced closing time and if a bar had customers they stayed open and no customers they closed and went home. There never seemed to be many problems as you did not have to power drink because closing time was forced on people coming here to party and drink. It is supposed to be a holiday destination , not a place where you are told or forced to go back to your room and be in bed by 12 oclock

Obviously the naivety in me is showing.

obey the damn law! If a venue is operating past its allowed timeframe... fine the business ( every night in need)... force them,  via financial pain, to abide by the law.

flouting the law, is rarely the best way to instigate change ( but TIT)

now, whilst living on Phuket, I am nowhere near the “entertainment” area of Patong.... but that didn’t stop a large bar being built nearby (for Thais, by and large.... never seen a tourist there, whilst driving by), which rocks my house till four am..... every damn night, which I’m not happy about

nor did it stop the local Muslims from placing outdoor speakers in a neighborhood without a mosque. (Which is why I moved to the new place!), but I digress.

The problem in Thailand in most places is zoning and noise. Bars/Clubs do not belong near residential areas; schools and churches/wats. In the correct zone- the 4 AM closing makes sense but it disturbs no  one.  If the bar remains near a residential area- midnight is the best closing time. The law needs to be changed- getting rid of the ridiculous selling time of 11am-2pm and then 5pm-12am.  This actually applies to bars who pay 'authorities' not to enforce it as well as convenience stores like 7/11 etc. However, if you are a bar/club in a hotel- these places can stay open legally  24 hours.

Change the law? Waste of time, they are only enforced if there is a payment involved. Only 24 hours a day would reduce the baksheesh.

Party time holiday destinations need better organisation.

Late hours why not, just turn the music down and keep it inside where there are residential buildings.

Police around to prevent crime too?

If the tourists are too drunk to walk home or find the hotel that is their problem. Taxis should cost more at 3-4+ am.

It will never happen, too much money involved.

:wai:

Edited by George FmplesdaCosteedback