3 Killed, Over 50 Injured In Train Crash In Hua Hin

george

3 killed, over 50 injured in train crash in Hua Hin

Hua Hin, Prachuap Khirikhan: -- Three train workers were killed and over 50 passengers were injured when a passenger train rammed into another in this seaside town early Sunday morning.

The accident happened at 3 am at the Nongkae railway station in Hua Hin district.

Police said the Bangkok-Yala train was being parked at the station to wait for the Langsuan-Thonburi train to pass through the station first, but the coming train was directed into a wrong track and rammed into the Bangkok-Yala train.

The engine and three passenger carriages of the Bangkok-Yala were thrown out of the track by the impact, which also cause the front part of the Langsuan-Thonburi train to derail at well.

The driver and a female worker of the Bangkok-Yala train were found dead inside a carriage.

A male worker of the Bangkok-Yala train died on his way to a hospital.

Some 50 injured passengers were rushed to nearby hospitals.

The remaining passengers were taken to a bus station to continue their travel.

The accident disrupted the southern train service.

-- The Nation 2007-01-14

And they wonder why SRT loses so much money...derailments or traffic-control related screwups make it a very unreliable way to get around for long distances in LOS.

It's such a shame, really...if they were actually interested in making it work, they'd get a lot more passengers...the service itself is decent and OK-priced, but the constant chance of delays or other problems make it difficult to integrate into a planned trip :o

The influential lobbyists working on behalf of road haulage companies and possibly car manufacturers actively oppose any development of the railway network each time it comes up. It's a question of what's good for the country versus vested interests. Vested interests often win here as a direct result of corruption.

As for the cause of the crash, one can't be sure it is lack of investment. There seem to be plenty of rail crashes in the UK although there are many more trains, admittedly.

The trains are by far the safest and most reliable ground transpertation in Thailand. Look at the accident records for bus transpertation and see how many get killed on them in a week. Its a damm shame they have not upgraded or for that matter just cleaned up the trains in Thailand as the last time I rode the train in Malaysia it was beutifully cleaned and a great experience. The last time I rode first class in Thailand the compartment was filthy and some drunk VIP was smoking, drinking, and yelling on the phone all night.

In some ways Im glad they never upgraded the tracks as this is somewhat of a throttle control, I just cant see the current team turned loose with some kind of bullet train setup. Having made many trips overland by train here including Singapore to Nong Khai I find it to be a much better deal for me than the bus system when I chose not to drive myself which is rare these days as the trains seem to get a little dirtier every year.

Does anyone have the accident statistics or other information about trains here in Thailand? I cant remember any farang death from accidents but I dont dwell on the subject much.

The trains are by far the safest and most reliable ground transpertation in Thailand. Look at the accident records for bus transpertation and see how many get killed on them in a week. Its a damm shame they have not upgraded or for that matter just cleaned up the trains in Thailand as the last time I rode the train in Malaysia it was beutifully cleaned and a great experience. The last time I rode first class in Thailand the compartment was filthy and some drunk VIP was smoking, drinking, and yelling on the phone all night.

In some ways Im glad they never upgraded the tracks as this is somewhat of a throttle control, I just cant see the current team turned loose with some kind of bullet train setup. Having made many trips overland by train here including Singapore to Nong Khai I find it to be a much better deal for me than the bus system when I chose not to drive myself which is rare these days as the trains seem to get a little dirtier every year.

Does anyone have the accident statistics or other information about trains here in Thailand? I cant remember any farang death from accidents but I dont dwell on the subject much.

I have to partly disagree, I've taken a train from Sungai Koluk on the Thai Border to Chumpon and I found the train journey was a grim experience. Too many stops, loads of overcrowding and a lot of low-life thais drinking themselves stupid on Loh Koh and Sangsom. Bus journeys are far more reliable and friendly. (Although the loud TV often pisses me off :o)

I have to partly disagree, I've taken a train from Sungai Koluk on the Thai Border to Chumpon and I found the train journey was a grim experience. Too many stops, loads of overcrowding and a lot of low-life thais drinking themselves stupid on Loh Koh and Sangsom. Bus journeys are far more reliable and friendly. (Although the loud TV often pisses me off :o)

You got that right about the loud TVs, The horrible choices of movies adds to the mix, Ive seen vampire ghosts attack with quiet scenes that let you doze off and to be awaken by blaring screams that knock you out of your seat, along with hard core action movies with many explosions, not the kind of thing that helps you relax.

The short trips can be horrible, nothing like third class either with the deisel smoke plumeting into the windows. I made the mistake of taking a third class from Nong Khai to Khon Kaen and arrived covered in blackface, another time recieved a free dog and was forced to ride third class on by bus and train from Loie to Koh Chang, That was one horrid trip. By the way dogs are bad luck on buses so you must pay an extra 300 baht, A fat ignorant hillbillie woman went around and told all the bus drivers to not let me on the bus and started a huge drama which I eventualy got sorted, I would still love to give her a swift kick in the backside but luckily I just remained calm and smiled. The dog is doing quite well and is back home in Isaarn with us laying on the porch as I type.

My experiance has been mainly the overnight between Bangkok and Isaarn along with a couple trips to Singapore. In a few months I will get to experiance the Vietnamese trains and hopefully China too. I guess living by the tracks as a kid watching the trains go by and listining to all the country and folk music about trains has given me a longtime love affair with them

I love Thailand's trains, especially the overnight sleepers. Freshly laundered cotton sheet, clean pillow and still-warm snuggly cotton blanket wrapped in plastic from the laundry. OK, the toilets are bad but at least there are toilets. Relax, eat yum food from station stalls and party with new friends. Smoke between cars. Had a few delays in my time, but always take the nighter and never more than a couple hours late, which is still early morning.

Buses are horror shows in themselves, never mind the blaring music/tv. Toilet stops at driver's discretion. Chaotic driving. Mind you, the price is way cheap.

I live by the train station in Nong Khai and i must say it could be more reliable always late living poor services from the attendant lack of English and terrible train.

This country should realise TRAIN are the most and more relaibel way of transportation in Europe time to upgrade them and sell the Locomotive whom they bought from Canada as the national carrier there was happy to sell more than 25 years ago.

As per traveling by bus as some of you said loud Tv poor choice of movies no toilet and a co driver whom talk all the time to to regular driver this is why they have so many accident took to bus to BKK left on time from Nong Khai same driver whom came from BKK and arrive again on time in BKK but no change of driver whom was returning to Nong KHAI THIS IS THE PROBLEM NO COUNTRY IN THE WORLD would have this system in palce i know for fact Bus Driver in Canada or the US cannot drive more than 8 hour and they have a black box to regulate the speed.

Why they will not upgrade the train the answer is very easy BUS are own in majority by peoples in power thus they will loose income POOR PEOPLES

No i wonder how on heart they will make the commitment to open the railways to Laos and China by 2008 via Nong Khai

As some of you said corruption is everywhere i rather drive my car were i want to go even if Thai driver must be the worst on this planet they have no patience and very selfish no respect for the law or other driver but i forgot they get their driver licences in a pack of Pop Corn

I enjoy traveling by train. I must admit that I always go first class or with sleeper. I once traveled 3rd class (a Thai friend decided to save me a lot of money). That was a grim experience. Interesting, but grim. I've done it once, got the T-shirt and will never do it again!

I love Thailand's trains, especially the overnight sleepers. Freshly laundered cotton sheet, clean pillow and still-warm snuggly cotton blanket wrapped in plastic from the laundry. OK, the toilets are bad but at least there are toilets. Relax, eat yum food from station stalls and party with new friends. Smoke between cars. Had a few delays in my time, but always take the nighter and never more than a couple hours late, which is still early morning.

Buses are horror shows in themselves, never mind the blaring music/tv. Toilet stops at driver's discretion. Chaotic driving. Mind you, the price is way cheap.

That was my experience of rail travel overnight to Khon Kaen several years ago. A few beers on the train and some tasty food and I slept like a baby in clean sheets. It was a great way to travel. :o

Agreed about the bus experience too. :D

I have done many trips from Isaan to Singapore.

Flying, as always, has been the most expensive way to experience the least.

Long-distance coaches, I only did the once. Yes, it was cheap, but I found it tedious (for a 63-year-old) and only found myself I enjoying, and getting to know other people, during the waiting times at the various transfer points. And I found that you really don't get to see, and learn about, very much of the places you pass through.

But three times I have had the time available to do it both ways by train. Great!!

Take a couple of good books. But you may not get to read them much, because there are always interesting people to chat with on trains.

And you get a really good view of peoples' backyards, and so on, that enables you to work out how their lives 'tick'.

I go second-class aircon sleeper. But, one time, I did the overnight KL to SIN section in first class sleeper. Never again. Cramped, shared, compartment and the bunks are across the length of the train. So at every jerk you are rolled about. Second class has the bunks in line with the length of the train, which is much better.

From 1993, for a few years, 'Thailand, Malaysia & Singapore By Rail' (author: Brian McPhee), could be bought at the Singapore terminus, and I found it very useful. Has it been updated, or is there a similar book available?

As the number of injured continues to climb rapidly and given the number of passengers, it's a miracle it's not even worse, I'm sad to say... human error seems to be the cause:

HUA HIN / BAD RAILWAY COMMUNICATIONS

Three dead, 93 hurt in head-on train crash

Prachuap Khiri Khan _ Poor driver-to-driver communication led to two trains colliding head on, killing three people and injuring 93 others in Hua Hin district yesterday, police said. A north-bound Chumphon-Thon Buri train, with about 100 passengers, went through a red light and ran into the Bangkok-Yala sprinter, carrying more than 300 passengers, near Ban Nong Kae station.The crash happened at about 2.30am.

The State Railway of Thailand (SRT) launched an investigation into the crash. Initial inquiries indicated the Thon Buri-bound train ignored a red light, officials said. The driver of the Bangkok-Yala train reportedly tried in vain to contact the other train to inform the driver of his position and ask him to slow down and wait until his train moved to another track so they could pass.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/15Jan2007_news02.php

Edited by sriracha john

This is insane, you can't just run a red light when you're operating a TRAIN!!! What the hel_l was that guy on?? I certainly hope he is among the dead, better one less irresponsible bastard than an innocent passenger :o

With the news that the the engineer ignored the red light because he was likely asleep AND a mechanical backup system failed, a sad story just got more sad :o :

Train driver probably fell asleep

A train driver probably fell asleep and caused Sunday's crash which killed three people and injured 93 others in Prachuap Khiri Khan's Hua Hin district, the State Railway of Thailand (SRT)'s preliminary investigation has found. There was also a good chance that the automatic system which should stop the train if the driver does not respond to the controls was not working, SRT chairman Siva Saengmanee said yesterday.

Further discouraging details continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/16Jan2007_news09.php

Edited by sriracha john

That Bangkok Post story is indeed scary if the numbers are right (they are often rather suspect in my experience). Of the trains that even have emergency breaking system (dead man control) only 35% are actually working.

From the photos, it looks as if that northbound train was loco-hauled. Was there only the one driver in the cab?

All the locos that I have seen on the Bangkok to Nong Khai line have an assistant in the cab as well as the driver. (In fact, he is the one that we see leaning out of the cab to snatch the hoop carrying the token for the next section of line. The driver holds a nice steady 40 km/hr through the station at which they are not stopping, whilst the assistant makes the snatch. I have photos of it being done, both from the ground, and from in the cab when I have had been given a 'footplate ride' to Kumpawapi.)

Have we any railway-operations buffs who can enlighten us as to the system on the line through Hua Hin?

I too have travelled by train many times from old BKK airport to Surin and return. Whichever class I have travelled has been reasonable, although broken seats are prevelant in 2nd/3rd class. The sleeper has always been comfortable although as the beds are across the carriage then you do get thrown about occassionaly when starting and stopping.

On the few bus journies I have made, I have been terrified for most of each journey as the drivers' continue to use the bus as a formula one vehicle.....they overtake at will, often forcing oncoming cars almost off the road in their attempt to be as quick as Michael Schumaker. They talk to co-driver constantly and when I say talk, they look at each other for long periods when talking and the bus is swerving all over the place. The drivers have no respect for other road users and often gesticulate at people that they have almost hit. I decided that if I cannot travel by train, I would drive but that has increased my risk of being hit by a bus considerably.

I have always found train workers to be pleasant and helpfull.