Do you folks use tap water to cook pasta?

BuddyDean

3 hours ago, bazza73 said:

As I said before, you do like to exaggerate.

Do you have  mystical powers of divination which tell you when the carbon filter, resin and particulate filter are not functioning as they should?

Any engineer or scientist will tell you the more components you have in a process, the more likely it is one of them will fail at some point in time.

Perhaps you have never heard of the KISS principle. Mai pen rai.

Read up on preventative maintenance, it is quite a useful concept and no mystical powers required.  

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

Read up on preventative maintenance, it is quite a useful concept and no mystical powers required.  

AFAIK a kettle requires no preventative maintenance. It either boils water or it doesn't.

Since another poster is obsessing about my scooter, yes it does get PM. However, it is used for more than just carting water.

2 hours ago, bazza73 said:

AFAIK a kettle requires no preventative maintenance. It either boils water or it doesn't.

Since another poster is obsessing about my scooter, yes it does get PM. However, it is used for more than just carting water.

Oh! Now I understand!

You can remember to do preventive maintenance, but others are unable to do so....

Got it.

11 minutes ago, FolkGuitar said:

Oh! Now I understand!

You can remember to do preventive maintenance, but others are unable to do so....

Got it.

I think you spend so much time posting on TV you wouldn't have room in your busy day for PM.

4 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

Fortunately, the engineers have heard of the KISS principle. There is nothing to break. Both carbon filters and resin filters operate in the same fashion; water goes in one side, passes THROUGH the filters, then out the other side. If the filters stop doing what they are supposed to do, the flow of water simply begins to slow down. NO MOVING PARTS to break. In fact, other than a possible leak, there is just nothing to break. The UV bulb might blow after a dozen years, but I learned how to change a light bulb a while ago. Not a problem.  I'll stick with just turning a tap. You stick with riding your scooter (is that part of the KISS principle?) to the well carrying your water bottles, carry them home and boil the water before using it, then pouring it into other bottles to cool. We all make our own choices.

If you used a UV bulb for 12 years I very much doubt it would be sterilising anything by the time you replaced it. You're not supposed to wait for them to blow, their output decreases with use so you're system cannot guarantee a complete absence of pathogens any more than whatever Bai Yoke do to their water.

On another note: drinking RO water all the time is not supposed to be very good for your health, according to various studies.

27 minutes ago, Mark1066 said:

If you used a UV bulb for 12 years I very much doubt it would be sterilising anything by the time you replaced it. You're not supposed to wait for them to blow, their output decreases with use so you're system cannot guarantee a complete absence of pathogens any more than whatever Bai Yoke do to their water.

On another note: drinking RO water all the time is not supposed to be very good for your health, according to various studies.

What the studies show is that RO water has had much of some beneficial minerals removed as well as the pathogens. That's not necessarily bad for you but you might be missing out on some benefits of natural water. Much bottled water sold  worldwide is just RO or tap water.. There's no wonderful bubbling pure spring that is providing the bottled water in Thailand. Boiling tap water for drinking is probably closer to natural but boiled tastes off.

2 hours ago, Mark1066 said:

Thank you. I was unaware that their output decreases. Could you please show a cite for this information? The company that made the filter makes no mention of replacing the bulb in its Preventive Maintenance  Protocol, only stating estimations of filter replacement times.

Personally, I wouldn't want to drink RO water all the time. Most of the various minerals in water are, in microscopic amounts, necessary for good health, and the RO process removes them. Health-conscious people that I know who are using RO filters take mineral supplements to compensate for this. Quite frankly, I don't care for the taste of RO water... It tastes 'empty.'  Boiled water tastes flat to me, when drunk cold.

23 hours ago, BuddyDean said:

and of course, they meticulously service the machine and filters regularly.

Not everywhere but I have seen them replacing the filter on this one. You never know of course, but I see no reason to use tap water when it's 6 baht for 5 litres . 

As I pointed out already , tap water will probably be safe when its boiled , but not all water pipes in Thailand are clean , if you install a filter yourself in your kitchen it's probably the best solution .  

On 11/26/2017 at 12:29 AM, SheungWan said:

Its important that you save 15 baht not using bottles water.

For me it has more to do with my cane, lugging 6 liter bottles of water around. I have not found a cart yet that would make it easy.
Besides, what is wrong with saving money? :smile:  

57 minutes ago, bazza73 said:

You think people who need to be told that have enough brain cells to read your message?

Apparently, based on the package warning labels,  people need to be told not to eat soap, not to iron their clothes while wearing them, and that peanut butter contains peanuts.

• 3 months later...

oh so do we use unfiltered tap water to cook?

i got a little worried the other day when i heard that stuff in water may react with ingredients when we cook and create something else. harmful i assumed :sad:

A kettle don’t boil the water, it’s only heat them up to 80 degrees. Of course it kills a lot of bacteria but for boiling you need over 100 degrees.

On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 2:11 PM, bazza73 said:

You think people who need to be told that have enough brain cells to read your message?

Known as hummer , joke,  but for you:

Quantity of "Brain cells" is not indicative of intelligence, Count self, if found,  sure you will be surprised at result :-)

Archived