Hopping to HaNoi

papa al

~Dec. 20, flight bangkok ==> hanoi.

Rent bike for 20 days.

Hoping for Exciter/MSlaz* or 

Honda Winner.Or can buy a pre-owned Nouvo for $300.

https://vietnam.craigslist.org/mcy/d/50-yamaha-nouvo-automatic-125/6399896565.html?lang=en&cc=us

& free beer!

The mountains are calling... .

Edited by papa al

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i did north vietnam on Honda Blade 110 cc  this october during 1 month. 

the weather was so so, sun, rain, very fresh on Ha Giang loop

In december january february ...it s very cold , with fog....  this is not the good period to go in north, between 0 and 14 degres celcius 

sure the north is amazing, best to go april to october

Hanoi is great, south from there is the "limestone loop". In the north super in the mountains, but could be very cold, snow etc.

I rode three months last year and i will go again next year in the spring for 3 months, south to north and back.

My last trip is here in thaivisa if interested. 

Best site without fail to check this is  http://vietnamcoracle.com/

Limestone loop.... http://vietnamcoracle.com/province-of-paddies-and-pinnacles-the-thanh-hoa-loop/

http://vietnamcoracle.com/ha-giang-extreme-north-motorbike-loop/

http://vietnamcoracle.com/pastoral-pathways-the-northeast-motorbike-loop/

Edited by chrissables

Most people buy in HCM and sell in Hanoi, so doing it the other way round you should find it easier to sell in HCM city...even make a profit.

However, you will have the sun in your eyes all the way..going south.

A lot of these long trip bikes, bought or rented are ragged, every one we met had encountered problems, some serious. We rented a short trip hire bike, VN Honda Wave in DaNang, did some repairs (£10) and the bike was fine.

We went in December (I think) and it was cold, but not unbearably, nippy at night, but had wife with me, so take a hot water bottle...Or go out on the pull......

And remember the golden rule when out of the big cities, get food when you can. We used to buy an extra roll at breakfast time, or went hungry until tea time.

8 hours ago, papa al said:

Just booked this for 21days/ $250.

Same engine as cbr150.

Sweet.

Honda Winner.png

They should be able to put panniers on for you if you want them.

Have you a route planned yet? Mai Chau is stunning , south from there take a south east route through the mountains Pu Luong to Canh Nang, before looping back.

15 hours ago, chrissables said:

They should be able to put panniers on for you if you want them.

Have you a route planned yet? Mai Chau is stunning , south from there take a south east route through the mountains Pu Luong to Canh Nang, before looping back.

It may not be as good as your CBR though. Saw a lot of really crappy tourist bikes when we were there and in the hills/mountains north of Da Nang we found out why. These lads were absolutely flogging their hire bikes, engines screaming blue murder. We were riding south and they passed us, we rode on then saw them again coming the other way, still at 10,000rpm, all sorts of 'orrible metallic sounds coming from most of the bikes.

We hired ours in Da Nang, an ordinary commuter bike, but even that needed work. 

Maybe you will be lucky, but check it out before riding off.

To date VN has been our most enjoyable bike trip, hotels were a mixed bag, but people nice, Hanoi was REALLY busy. You will need your 3 eyes, just like a cat does.

One thing they do practice 2 old French traffic rules.

1. Priority given to traffic coming from the right.

2. Might is right.

That means they drive straight out and you are bottom of the food chain.

6 hours ago, AllanB said:

It may not be as good as your CBR though. Saw a lot of really crappy tourist bikes when we were there and in the hills/mountains north of Da Nang we found out why. These lads were absolutely flogging their hire bikes, engines screaming blue murder. We were riding south and they passed us, we rode on then saw them again coming the other way, still at 10,000rpm, all sorts of 'orrible metallic sounds coming from most of the bikes.

We hired ours in Da Nang, an ordinary commuter bike, but even that needed work. 

Maybe you will be lucky, but check it out before riding off.

To date VN has been our most enjoyable bike trip, hotels were a mixed bag, but people nice, Hanoi was REALLY busy. You will need your 3 eyes, just like a cat does.

One thing they do practice 2 old French traffic rules.

1. Priority given to traffic coming from the right.

2. Might is right.

That means they drive straight out and you are bottom of the food chain.

The Honda Winner is a great bike, no issues to be expected at all, 10,000 + km last trip. Possibly you are thinking of the Honda Win? Which has many Chinese copies floating around.

2 hours ago, chrissables said:

The Honda Winner is a great bike, no issues to be expected at all, 10,000 + km last trip. Possibly you are thinking of the Honda Win? Which has many Chinese copies floating around.

Hire bikes in countries like NV have not much to do with the bikes qualities, more the way they are ridden and maintained. The attitude of the hire company is that if you can make it out of walking distance, their job is done. So the model of bike doesn't have lot to do with it.

The Honda we had was a low mileage bike, 25,000km, but there was some evidence to show that it had it's first oil change during our tenure. 

We met a couple of groups of people and more that half had suffered breakdowns, we had two ourselves, both tyre problems, and both luckily within a few metres of a repair shop. We gave the bike two oil changes as half way through our trip the bike started to sound rough. We certainly returned the bike in far better condition than we hired it.

Be lucky!

10 minutes ago, AllanB said:

Hire bikes in countries like NV have not much to do with the bikes qualities, more the way they are ridden and maintained. The attitude of the hire company is that if you can make it out of walking distance, their job is done. So the model of bike doesn't have lot to do with it.

The Honda we had was a low mileage bike, 25,000km, but there was some evidence to show that it had it's first oil change during our tenure. 

We met a couple of groups of people and more that half had suffered breakdowns, we had two ourselves, both tyre problems, and both luckily within a few metres of a repair shop. We gave the bike two oil changes as half way through our trip the bike started to sound rough. We certainly returned the bike in far better condition than we hired it.

Be lucky!

Certainly using Tigit (https://www.tigitmotorbikes.com/) it's not an issue.

The bike is guaranteed for the ride. As the rider you are responsible to to change the oil every 1,000 km, which is a pain, but, if you breakdown you show them the reciept from a Honda dealer along with a photo, and they (tigit) repair it.

Tyre problems ok, if they are ok when you leave, you can't blame the shop.

If you rent the cheapest bike from the cheapest shop, expect issues.

Pay a bit more, and enjoy the trip is my way.

5 minutes ago, chrissables said:

I'm not debating that, I'm explaining how Tigit's guarantee works. 

I would avoid that company simply because these are unreasonable conditions that seems to be made with the purpose of deflecting responsibility in case the engine (or anything else) breaks. I would not want be the one sitting there with a wad of oil change receipts in hand, and have them coming up with some other BS or excuse.  

Edited by paz

18 minutes ago, paz said:

I would avoid that company simply because these are unreasonable conditions that seems to be made with the purpose of deflecting responsibility in case the engine (or anything else) breaks. I would not want be the one sitting there with a wad of oil change receipts in hand, and have them coming up with some other BS or excuse.  

Having used them i found them very professional. I would, in fact i do intend to use them again.

Some people try to build businesses by cutting corners, Tigit's from my experience are building in a good and professional way.

4 minutes ago, chrissables said:

Having used them i found them very professional. I would, in fact i do intend to use them again.

Some people try to build businesses by cutting corners, Tigit's from my experience are building in a good and professional way.

I guess you never had a breakage when renting from them -  which with these bikes is unlikely anyway.

They will just need a little more education on what oil is and does in an engine.

12 minutes ago, paz said:

I guess you never had a breakage when renting from them -  which with these bikes is unlikely anyway.

They will just need a little more education on what oil is and does in an engine.

I agree the oil change is a pain.

I was laid up after i burnt my ankle, the bike would not start and i was running low on battery. I could not kick start because it would have opened my ankle would again. I called them when at a Honda dealer, they sorted someone coming to get it going.

I was arrested near the Cambodian border, then told to report to an officer in the big town 50 km away, when i arrived there with my lack of Vietnamese, and their English, i rang them, the wife of the owner talked to the police and i was told to be on my way.

I had two punctures, the tyre was ruined by a large piece of metal, i just dealt with that myself.

From talking with the owners wife i understand they want to use only good bikes which of course pushes the cost up to the custome. But $500 for 3 months if my memory is correct was worth it. You buy a heap of <deleted> for a few hundred $, but i prefer to do it my way. Besides that i am not a mechanic and prefer to get on with the sight seeing.

6 minutes ago, chrissables said:

I was arrested near the Cambodian border, then told to report to an officer in the big town 50 km away, when i arrived there with my lack of Vietnamese, and their English, i rang them, the wife of the owner talked to the police and i was told to be on my way.

Yes, I've read and much liked your trip report. Once I was myself entering VN by land, it was a mine/their mistake but I watched them going in circles for quite a while, LoL.

But you wrote that the bike was a pre-agreed buyback, not a rental? Doesn't make much difference anyway, a tourist probably can't own a bike or anything else in VN. 

Edited by paz

Pseudo plan is forming.

Booked two nights @ Hanoi Sports Hotel, Dec.20, 21,

near near 'Off Road Vietnam', the bike renter shop.

Old quarter.

Thence off to the hills and

to return Hanoi Dec.30. to watch UFC-219, 

& then happy new year.

Possibly take the train w/ bike to hills.

Depart Jan10.

8 minutes ago, paz said:

Yes, I've read and much liked your trip report. Once I was myself entering VN by land, it was a mine/their mistake but I watched them going in circles for quite a while, LoL.

But you wrote that the bike was a pre-agreed buyback, not a rental? Doesn't make much difference anyway, a tourist probably can't own a bike or anything else in VN. 

Yes, that is an issue, but with tigit you get the blue card, which allows you to cross into Cambodia and Laos.

It was an agreed buy back, but of course had i damaged it there would be costs etc. And i suppose they could refuse to do so.

I was lucky as the accident did no damage at all to the bike.

On 11/26/2017 at 11:35 PM, papa al said:

Honda Winner.png

I like the unique colour scheme.

The Vietnamese guy renting it speaks fluent English

and returns detailed fact-filled emails.

He has upgraded with Givi, the rack above motor,

and an O-ring chain.

Says he uses 100% synthetic oil.

Stock bike sells for $2600 there.

papa will take along mesh seat cover &

extended left mirror.

On 11/28/2017 at 4:56 PM, chrissables said:

The oil change thing seems more on the ridiculous side

than the good-and-professional side.

Does the bike use hi-octane or regular?

On 29/11/2017 at 9:45 PM, papa al said:

The oil change thing seems more on the ridiculous side

than the good-and-professional side.

Does the bike use hi-octane or regular?

I would think it's to keep the riders aware, the bike is theirs and if they want the buy back contract honoured, they must take care of it. For most i suggest they only need to service one time.

I agree for long trips it can be a pain, but if you don't like it buy a heap of shit and enjoy the holiday repairing it. I know my preference. :)