Thailand’s Maria reaches top 5 as Miss South Africa crowned Miss Universe 2017

webfact

5 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Half breed?

Do people still use such disgusting terms?

I mean it’s bad enough that contestant’s eligibility are being questioned because of their colour, but to use a term such as you have is appalling. 

Even if you were being sarcastic (and I hope you were) it’s still a foul phrase. 

Thais do.  They call them luk khrueng and they are generally considered less important unless they are famous.

Edited by Thechook

On 11/27/2017 at 1:40 PM, Happy enough said:

a load of old none sense those beauty pageants but anyway had it been based on looks i'd say the thai girl should have won

LOL. Lucky they don't judge it on looks alone. I'd put them in this order on looks alone: Columbia (1st), Venezuela, South Africa, Thailand, Jamaica.....  (that's my order with no bias towards Thai girls)... and only seeing the final 5 during the last phase of the contest. I'm sure on looks alone, there would have been different girls in the final 5.

Edited by tropo

10 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Luk Khrueng less important, you got to be kidding!

There are some hi-so clubs at Thonglor where 80% of the youngsters are luk khrueng. 

Agreed, if anything it's just the opposite, with the Luk Khrueng's considering themselves something special with "full" Thais fawning over them.  Parents of such children probably know first hand of how this can be difficult.

1 hour ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Luk Khrueng less important, you got to be kidding!

There are some hi-so clubs at Thonglor where 80% of the youngsters are luk khrueng. 

Depends. The countless ones in Isaan whose dad is unknown/did a runner aren't that lucky, especially if the father was black. They get bullied by natives.

This Maria one has so few Thai genes left I wouldn't guess the nationality from the face.

On 11/27/2017 at 11:47 AM, webfact said:

...the most important movement of our time is our youth. Our youth are our future. We must invest in our young people because they are the ones that will look after the earth...

Was she channeling Whitney Houston in the reply? 

"I believe the children are our future, teach them well and let them lead the way. Show them all the beauty they possess inside, give them a sense of pride..."

Never mind Maria, no matter what they take from you, they can't take away your dignity... :sad: