German mayor known for liberal migrant policy stabbed

webfact

German mayor known for liberal migrant policy stabbed

BERLIN (Reuters) - The conservative mayor of a small town in western Germany who is known for his liberal migrant policy was stabbed in the neck at a snack stand on Monday evening and seriously hurt.

A man who witnessed the attack in the town of Altena told German television that a man, probably under the influence of alcohol, stabbed the mayor in the neck with a 30 cm long knife while shouting criticism of his asylum policy.

"The security authorities believe that there was a political motive to this attack," said Armin Laschet, premier of the state of North Rhine-Westphalia.

The attacker was arrested and state prosecutors in Hagen are investigating attempted murder, media reported. No one was immediately available at the prosecutors.

The 57-year old mayor, Andreas Hollstein, who has written a book about his fight against the far-right, was badly hurt but was treated in hospital and has said he is back home with his family.

Under his leadership, the town of Altena has taken in more refugees than it was allocated.

Chancellor Angela Merkel and many other politicians have expressed their shock at the attack.

"I am horrified by the knife attack on the mayor Andreas Hollstein - and very relieved that he can already be back with his family. Thanks also to those who helped him," Merkel said via her spokesman on Twitter.

The attack is reminiscent of the stabbing two years ago of a candidate for mayor of Cologne, Henriette Reker, in an anti-refugee attack. She was seriously hurt but went on to win the election and become mayor.

(Reporting by Madeline Chambers; Editing by Hugh Lawson)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-11-28

Scary methods of extremists !

Scary to what the current climate is leading to... on one side people are fed up with a refugee situation that is getting out of control and on the opposite side, others are plainly trying to behave with humanity.

Edited by observer90210

4 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Scary to what the current climate is leading to... on one side people are fed up with a refugee situation that is getting out of control and on the opposite side, others are plainly trying to behave with humanity.

On one side there are intolerant,violent people, on the other side are tolerant, peaceful people.

4 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Even if that humanity will in the long term ruin their country, if not the entire continent.  An extremely difficult situation

6 minutes ago, Enoon said:

On one side there are intolerant,violent people, on the other side are tolerant, peaceful people.

Yes and these intolerant violent people don't like the humanitarians letting more intolerant violent people of a different culture (not to mention religion) in to the country.   Denmark, Sweden & Belgium (and more recently France & Germany) are already starting to reap the whirlwind.  It is an extremely difficult situation.  People should not be humanitarian to the risk of destroying their own safety and culture.    Gosh I hope I am wrong as many liberal people will tell me I am.  Time will tell.  Just Google rape in Scandinavia.  Statistics going through the roof and to be correctly P.C., it is all being blamed on "Asians."  Asians!!!!  Yeah right!!!!!

Edited by The Deerhunter

I'm not German yet I believe that the Germans should be guided by a constitution and not a "basic law" (Grundgesetz). Likewise they need a right to a referendum (like in most other countries) and all this stuff stops. The Germans have been deprived of such basic democratic tools since 1945 - and never got reinstated.

The Allied Forces wanted to avoid another NSDAP/NAZI regime; well, the present system is geared for precisely that. While the British, the French and the Russians understood that it remains a fact that the US still has ten thousands of troops stationed in Germany - for what? 

Some dissonance here. It's unlikely that someone could be a true Conservative, and pro mass immigration. Probably another red conservative akin to those that have infected politics all over Europe and North America. If governments inflict this type of unwanted social engineering on its peoples, then they must expect repercussions.

13 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

A man is stabbed by a bigot and the thread turns into the usual islamaphobic, vitriolic, chicken licken “the world is falling on our heads” BS by post 3. 

For pity’s sake. 

No it's not. The differing opinions came after the post saying one side were peace loving humanitarians while the other were knuckle dragging extremists. Your post exemplifies the difficulties with the problem when you interpret something completely different to what was being said and why.

13 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

A man is stabbed by a bigot and the thread turns into the usual islamaphobic, vitriolic, chicken licken “the world is falling on our heads” BS by post 3. 

For pity’s sake. 

We are all glad to entertain you, as always.  And of course your opinion is the only one.  We all agree on that.

52 minutes ago, jinners said:

No it's not. The differing opinions came after the post saying one side were peace loving humanitarians while the other were knuckle dragging extremists. Your post exemplifies the difficulties with the problem when you interpret something completely different to what was being said and why.

No.

It's inserting the usual hate agenda into a thread.

40 minutes ago, The Deerhunter said:

We are all glad to entertain you, as always.  And of course your opinion is the only one.  We all agree on that.

Funny how those whose opinion I disagree with come up with the same trite comment, along the lines of...

''And of course your opinion is the only one"

Yet by doing so, they are in fact putting forward their view that their opinion cannot be disagreed with, and thus open themselves to the accusation of...

"And of course your opinion is the only one''

6 minutes ago, jinners said:

Or on the other hand, we liberal free lovers know best. The rest are bigots and haters. Again, spot on.

I certainly know wrong and right.

I know hating someone because of their faith/ethnicity/gender/gender identity/sexual orientation/nationality is bigotry.

12 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

I certainly know wrong and right.

I know hating someone because of their faith/ethnicity/gender/gender identity/sexual orientation/nationality is bigotry.

That may be so, but fueling an environment where those things have a potential for gaining speed is also wrong.

2 minutes ago, jinners said:

That may be so, but fueling an environment where those things have a potential for gaining speed is also wrong.

No, exposing it for what it is, is what is right.

People should be free to follow their faith, culture and live in peace without the putrid hatred of others being poured upon them.

1 hour ago, Bluespunk said:

Funny how those whose opinion I disagree with come up with the same trite comment, along the lines of...

Yet by doing so, they are in fact putting forward their view that their opinion cannot be disagreed with, and thus open themselves to the accusation of...

No! Emphatically, No! In two separate posts I said that this was a difficult situation.  I could interpret that further if considered necessary.   Please feel free to ask.

2 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

It's classic far right attempt at social media censorship which often occurs by the usual clique on TV. As well as accusing people of being red, far left etc as well as the victim. In fact the OP victim is a member of CDU - Centre Right.

1 hour ago, The Deerhunter said:

No! Emphatically, No! In two separate posts I said that this was a difficult situation.  I could interpret that further if considered necessary.   Please feel free to ask.

You were commenting on my posting and approach to posting in the post I quoted.

You were judging my posting and stating I believe only my opinion counts because I express it.

That judgement clearly means you believe your opinion on my posting is the only one that counts.

You were judging my posting and stating I believe only my opinion counts because I express it.

That judgement clearly means you believe your opinion on my posting is the only one that counts.

If you say so and you must be right.  Over and out.

Just now, The Deerhunter said:

If you say so and you must be right.  Over and out.

A new way,  if typically ungracious way of saying 'I surrender."

On 28/11/2017 at 3:34 PM, observer90210 said:

Ethics has pure categories; unfortunately, these sometimes don't align with reality, i.e. refugees - people in need of protection, and the reality is ... ?

2 hours ago, nausea said:

Ethics has pure categories; unfortunately, these sometimes don't align with reality, i.e. refugees - people in need of protection, and the reality is ... ?

What we are talking about here are a significant percentage of refugees with a second agenda well removed from the accepted primary one of finding a safe place to settle in peace and harmony.  And not enough effort into sorting the wheat from the chaff before welcoming them in with open arms (and very specially, alms, lots of alms).  People ready programmmed to bite the hand that fed them.  The well known and honourable tradition of North European humanitarianism has been ruthlessly exploited to the very probable detriment of the host countries.  Their only hope now is to limit the influence of  Sharia schools by forcing full participation in the state education system as the price of welfare.  To hell with their traditional/cultural/religious rights and mores 8if they directly conflict with those of their new host country.

If they want their different rights they know where they need to go back to!  Is that such an intolerant demand of the host?  It should not be seen as such.   A huge cultural divide should not be the price of genuine charity offered.  When in Rome........

Edited by The Deerhunter

On 11/29/2017 at 1:39 PM, Bluespunk said:

No, exposing it for what it is, is what is right.

People should be free to follow their faith, culture and live in peace without the putrid hatred of others being poured upon them.

couldn't have said it any better myself. Now go preach that to those muslims