TOT or TRUE fiber?

Metapod

Hi guys,

Just moved to a new condo and the only available options in my building are TOT and TRUE. I'm looking for the best fiber connection for international traffic (specifically for gaming on Australian servers). Whatever gives me the best experience gaming on Australian servers is what I'll choose.

Which company would be the better one to go with?

Well i do have to choose as it will be hard to play without a net connection. ;)

Is it worth splurging for 150 or 200 or should i just get the standard 100/20 plan? Would there be a performance difference when gaming if i take the 200 plan?

2 hours ago, Metapod said:

Well i do have to choose as it will be hard to play without a net connection. ;)

Is it worth splurging for 150 or 200 or should i just get the standard 100/20 plan? Would there be a performance difference when gaming if i take the 200 plan?

I doubt so but if your budget allows you to opt for 200 plan, go for it.

ISPs could throttle less / deliver better performance to higher paying customers.

Durn sad 2 choices...like being between a rock and a hard space.  I think you are going to experience very similar international speed with both based on review of speed testing results in the Testmy.net database.

Over the last 9 years in having landline service from TOT, ADSL internet service from TOT, DOCSIS (cable) internet service from True, and cable TV service from True I've had with these two companies, True's reliability and customer service were definitely better than TOT's.     I'm currently with AIS Fibre 200/50 for my internet and TV.

Something else you may want to consider is what other services such as TV, mobile, etc., these two companies provide especially for "package deals."    If you are going to want TV services, well, True has TOT beat big time although True's price for their TV packages are a little pricey but at least they have TV packages that offer foreign channels.   Many times package deals which include internet, TV, mobile, etc., can be much cheaper than buying each service separately.

Also, regarding True's 100/30 internet plan....that could be DOCSIS (cable) or fiber optics although they advertise both as SuperSpeedFiber which implies fiber optics but it may not be fiber optics.  But whether  it's fiber optics or DOCSIS it shouldn't really matter regarding your internet service...they are both much faster than VDSL, ADSL, etc.   True also offers 200/50 and 300/70 residential plans on fiber optics/DOCSIS...strange that is not available to you....you might want to double check.

Might be best to ask some neighbor's if possible which service they have and why.  Good luck.

I asked at TRUE at siam paragon and got them to check my building in their system and they said 100mb is max for them at my place. it is an old building.

don't really care for tv or anything else. just want the best international speeds. not the greatest choices i know. i had 3bb at my last place, which was great.

You might want to ask at another True location to see if you get the same answer regarding max speed. And ask if it's DOCSIS (cable) or fiber optics keeping in mind True likes to call all their high speed plans SuperSperdFiber which implies fiber optics but it actually may be cable.

5 hours ago, Pib said:

Might be best to ask some neighbor's if possible which service they have and why.

Good advice, connection quality varies a lot around Thailand, what works for others might not work in your situation. So ask your neighbours, they'll have the information most appropriate for you.

1 hour ago, Stocky said:

Good advice, connection quality varies a lot around Thailand, what works for others might not work in your situation. So ask your neighbours, they'll have the information most appropriate for you.

called tot and they said they can use cat6 and ac1200+ router, so decided to go with their 200/80 plan. I'll see how that goes and get a VPN for gaming if needed.

3 minutes ago, Metapod said:

called tot and they said they can use cat6 and ac1200+ router, so decided to go with their 200/80 plan. I'll see how that goes and get a VPN for gaming if needed.

The AC1200+ router is definitely a good thing.  And CAT6 ethernet is a good thing also, but CAT5e is more than good enough....good enough up to 1000Mb which far exceeds the 200Mb TOT speed.   Since they made a point of using ethernet cable I'm guessing it's Fiber-to-the-Building (FTTB) ground floor where a converter/switch changes the fiber optics signal to an ethernet signal...from that converter up to your residence in the building it's an ethernet run.  

Archived