borderrun at landborder with multiple non-o visa

I have a multiple non-o visa, only 1 of them is used now.

Is it still possible to do a borderrun over land?

My wife says it's not possible but i think it is.

Do i need to bring 20.000 baht cash money to show the immigration at the landborder? Also bring the returnticket to Europe?

Sorry for the stupid questions but it's all so confusing.

Hello Thian

One thing to say first - Close to 5000 posts & you haven't come across any information on this

Ok 

First of all your Non O Multy Visa will have a Enter Before Date - this is when it expires

It's not only one is used now - It is that you must leave the country every 90 days till that Enter Before Date ..... But there is a way to extend that 90 days & that will require you to go to Immigration (local branch) with your wife & apply for an extension of 60 day For Visiting Wife

Not sure where you are but Savanahket is best & all you do is just go through the boarder check point - enter the other country & return again

No need for money or air ticket

That's the best I know from this Forum & experience

where are you,

whats the expire date on the visa

have you done a 60 day visit Thai wife extension at local office

what is your 'permission to stay to' date 

some border crossings are not reliable for in out border hops one is poipet

6 minutes ago, steve187 said:

where are you,

whats the expire date on the visa

have you done a 60 day visit Thai wife extension at local office

what is your 'permission to stay to' date 

some border crossings are not reliable for in out border hops one is poipet

I'm in BKK and just paid 12000 baht to fly to singapore and back same day with air-asia.

That's why we got interested in borderruns over land again, 12.000 for air asia to SIN is extreme but ALL tickets are so expensive now and the whole month of december as well.

I'll fly 30 nov and have the date admitted untill 1 dec. that's all fine.

So borderruns are not reliable again, so my wife was right as well.

I hate to go to immigration and have visa's for 90 days, 5 of them. I prefer to fly and come back some hours later but if that costs 300 euro it's time to find another solution. don't know what's going on in december, all airtickets are expensive now.

• Like 1

If you have a multiple entry visa, with an Enter before date that shows the visa has not expired, there is no problem doing a border bounce by land at most crossing points.

There may be confusion with the rules for border bounces by land without a visa (to get a visa exempt entry). You are restricted to two of those per calendar year.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Thian said:

12.000 for air asia to SIN is extreme but ALL tickets are so expensive now and the whole month of december as well.

Air Asia to Siem Reap is a lot cheaper than Singapore. For Nov 30, the total return fare would have been about 5,000 baht, though you need to add about another 1,000 baht for the Cambodia visa on arrival Going tomorrow to Ho Chi Minh City (where you can enter visa exempt) would actually be less than 3,000 baht return.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Air Asia to Siem Reap is a lot cheaper than Singapore. For Nov 30, the total return fare would have been about 5,000 baht, though you need to add about another 1,000 baht for the Cambodia visa on arrival Going tomorrow to Ho Chi Minh City (where you can enter visa exempt) would actually be less than 3,000 baht return.

I read such weird stories about cambodia that i don't dare to go there for a visarun. I also didn't know they have visa on arrival. Singapore has a nice airport, i can stay there easy for some hours...some other asian airports are terrible but i have never been to the ones you mentioned. Also no idea if they fly return same day.

But i won't fly air asia anymore, it took me 3 hours to book online and they have many dirty tricks built in their website now. I have to pay for luggage on returnflight, changin seat costs 260 baht but they wouldn't let me pay that by creditcard, very frustrating. I used creditcard for ticket and 10 min later it got refused all the time for that 260 baht, i even have the same price seats...oh well, never again.

23 minutes ago, Thian said:

I read such weird stories about cambodia that i don't dare to go there for a visarun.

The only crossing that would give you any trouble at all with a Non-O Multiple-Entry is Poipet/Aranyaprathet.  All other border-crossings to Cambodia are fine. 

The only downside is possibly getting shafted on the VOA cost, especially for returning same-day, since Cambodian law says you should stay for 24 hrs first.  But worst-case, if you don't try to bargain hard, that fee would be 1900 (according to recent reports).  If you pay USD for your visa and be a bit firm on the "extra fee" for same-day return, and it would be 1300.

For Malaysian crossings, most of us don't need to pay anything to enter.  Downside is maybe having to show 20K Baht in cash to re-enter Thailand (reports vary on this).  One that has some fishy reports for Non-O Multi folks (bribes asked, etc) is Ranong.

Laos - all crossings - no problems reported for Non-O Multis, and the VOA cost is what it says (not inflated with "extra fees") - but, like Cambodia, pay USD to avoid being shafted on the exchange-rate for Baht.

23 minutes ago, Thian said:

But i won't fly air asia anymore, it took me 3 hours to book online and they have many dirty tricks built in their website now. ...

With the Air-Asia website you keep having to "un select" the various "up-sell" options to keep them out of your total - yes, a bit of a PITA.  Nok Air has some "fly ride" options that will get you to Laos crossings - which might be fastest for you, depending on your location.  Anything domestic is usually significantly cheaper.

Myanmar also has a few crossings you can use - typical cost for the "out and back" is reported to be around 900-1000 Baht (including their "border pass").  No problem at all with a Non-O Multi.  No reports of "show the money" - but I'd always have it just in case.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 2

I did the group visarun to cambodia once, bus from BKK...we had to wait in no-mans land for an hour before going back into thailand. During waiting many kids came to annoy us and there was a large taxfree shop with extreme cheap brand-products.

I didn't have to do anything with the immigration, the driver did it for us. But i forgot where we went, they picked the best border for that.

And in Myanmar i also crossed once myself, but i had to leave the passport at the immigration while in Myanmar, got it back when i returned into thailand. On the market some vendors and beggars followed me nonstop.

I don't like to haggle with authorities, Singapore would never do such thing that's why i like to go there. But Kuala Lumpur internation airport is also great, not the other airport in KL.

• That's why i prefer to fly but didn't know december is so expensive. Well that won't happen again next year. Next visarun will be a holiday with my wife, feels great to be out of Thailand for a while.
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, bbudd said:

Go to Mae Sai

Pay 500 B to Myanmar border control

Tell them your not shopping

They return your stamped passport in the office across the road

Takes all of 10 minuets

I believe all Myanma crossings are the same. I go to Mae Sot. 500 bt and takes 15mins including the walk across the bridge. I did read that the crossing at 3 Pagoda Pass out past Kanchanaburi is also now open for border crossings. This would more convenient to Bangkok. Laos crossings are1400bt (1200) for Aussies) and you get a Laos visa which takes up a whole page in your passport. 

Edited by Lazybones

4 hours ago, BEVUP said:

Thian

Ok you made your mind up but next time consider extending the 90 days by another 60 (Visa Extension based on visiting wife ) at your local Immigration center 

This will obviously mean less boarder crossings

I never heard of that option, only of the 30 day extension at the immigration. But that takes a whole day waiting, pay 1800 or so and my wife has to take a day off for it because they can't spea inlit at that immigration here. I don't like to wait many hours on that small plastic chair.

When i fly i go with my wife, she drops me at don muang, goes to work and picks me up there after work...easy peasy.

Landborder crossing is not bad but i refuse to sit in a mini-van, did it once in a big coach which was okay. But since there aren't many farangs left in BKK i don't know if they still do it by coach.

18 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

Multi non O. Been doing land border runs every 90 days for 14 years. What's the problem?

The problems you can read in the replies before yours.....that not all borders treat you the same way, also i won't go in a minivan, won't give my passport while i am in a neighbouring country (like myanmar wants) and won't haggle with the immigration (i 'll pay the fixed price in thai baht, don't have us-$ and only billiets of 50 euro). So singapore always was a good option for me but not if airtickets cost 12000 baht and i still sit in crappy air asia.

I also do visaruns for 15 years now and mostly we go on holiday to japan or singapore or Bali or so. That's great but my wife has to work this time.

Also i don't like the strange rules like 20k baht cash on you, i had to show them 500.000 baht cash to get my non-o and think that's more than enough. They can also look at who my wife is (and her bankaccount) but won't do so.

4 hours ago, overherebc said:

Have a look at Kuala Lumpur for flying same day, morning to, late afternoon return. Book well in advance and it's much less than 12, 000.

Did that many times, KLIA is great but the other one is terrible...Penang is better and also nice to stay some days.

But to KLIA one has to go to Suvarnhabhumi mostly and that's far away. Going there by skytrains is also no fun.

I dont understand why this december is so expensive, are the Asians all on holiday or what's going on this year?

20 minutes ago, Thian said:

I never heard of that option, only of the 30 day extension at the immigration. But that takes a whole day waiting, pay 1800 or so and my wife has to take a day off for it because they can't spea inlit at that immigration here. I don't like to wait many hours on that small plastic chair.

When i fly i go with my wife, she drops me at don muang, goes to work and picks me up there after work...easy peasy.

Landborder crossing is not bad but i refuse to sit in a mini-van, did it once in a big coach which was okay. But since there aren't many farangs left in BKK i don't know if they still do it by coach.

Well it's true 

I picked this information up on this Forum

I also have a Non O Multi Visa Married to wife ( Got that in Savanahket LAO ) - No problems at all, only needed copies of 4 forms & no money & had to show originals

Then come back for the 90 days & on the last day or before, go to Immigration with Wife & get an extension ( 60 days visiting Wife ) 1900 bht once that is nearing the end just repeat by leaving country

Edited by BEVUP

10 minutes ago, Thian said:

The problems you can read in the replies before yours.....that not all borders treat you the same way, also i won't go in a minivan, won't give my passport while i am in a neighbouring country (like myanmar wants) and won't haggle with the immigration (i 'll pay the fixed price in thai baht, don't have us-$ and only billiets of 50 euro). So singapore always was a good option for me but not if airtickets cost 12000 baht and i still sit in crappy air asia.

I also do visaruns for 15 years now and mostly we go on holiday to japan or singapore or Bali or so. That's great but my wife has to work this time.

Also i don't like the strange rules like 20k baht cash on you, i had to show them 500.000 baht cash to get my non-o and think that's more than enough. They can also look at who my wife is (and her bankaccount) but won't do so.

Then if you had to show 500k you have a "marriage visa? Correct? I was under the impression you do not need to leave the country every 90 days.

I have a "Multi Non O", show no funds, never had to, never asked for 20k, but I have to leave the country every 90 days.

95% of my "border runs" have been Nong Khai or Mukdahan. Nice day out; the 3 "B's" - Bridge, Beer and Baguette...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

Then if you had to show 500k you have a "marriage visa? Correct? I was under the impression you do not need to leave the country every 90 days.

I have a "Multi Non O", show no funds, never had to, never asked for 20k, but I have to leave the country every 90 days.

95% of my "border runs" have been Nong Khai or Mukdahan. Nice day out; the 3 "B's" - Bridge, Beer and Baguette...

Yes a marriage visa, i thought that was non-o but i might be wrong...if i put the money on a thai bank i don't have to leave every 90 days but i don't trust the thai banks so won't do that. Also the euro-rate is far too low, if i put 500k baht on a thai bank you'll see the euro goes up a lot.

Guess you have the retirement-visa? I'm too young for that.

To get the marriage non O is a real pain, have to bring sooo many papers plus real ticket (nothing else accepted, also not payment for ticket) and have to come back many days later to get it. That's 2 hours from my home so it takes a lot of time and paperwork to get it.

I have a non-O with 5 entries of 90 days ...costed 150 euro.

3 minutes ago, Thian said:

Yes a marriage visa, i thought that was non-o but i might be wrong...if i put the money on a thai bank i don't have to leave every 90 days but i don't trust the thai banks so won't do that. Also the euro-rate is far too low, if i put 500k baht on a thai bank you'll see the euro goes up a lot.

To get the marriage non O is a real pain, have to bring sooo many papers plus real ticket (nothing else accepted, also not payment for ticket) and have to come back many days later to get it. That's 2 hours from my home so it takes a lot of time and paperwork to get it.

He obviously has a Non O Multi from another country (Europe) where he had to show everything since it is only good for 90 days at a time 

But if he was to search this Forum he will find what I have said previously

18 minutes ago, BEVUP said:

Well it's true 

I picked this information up on this Forum

I also have a Non O Multi Visa Married to wife ( Got that in Savanahket LAO ) - No problems at all, only needed copies of 4 forms & no money & had to show originals

Then come back for the 90 days & on the last day or before, go to Immigration with Wife & get an extension ( 60 days visiting Wife ) 1900 bht once that is nearing the end just repeat by leaving country

I don't believe all the info on this forum, if UbonJoe with the Kwai  avatar writes it i'll believe it haha.

Yes i would like to do it in Savanahket as well but if it gets refused for whatever reason i have a big problem, have all my paperwork in Holland. But it's very strange that they are superstrict in Holland (even the photograph has to be less than few months old or gets refused) while in Lao they even don't ask for funds. I have to show them loads of bankaccounts and nothing else is accepted, nothing which has a lot of value. Also i have to show them my income and they question about it. It's a real pain and very humiliating...then when all is accepted they still can send emails that they need more paperwork that i have to bring asap. I never did anything wrong, have sufficient funds, never overstayed, no criminal records, own companies, have a house, solid income...but still treat me as i were a criminal on the run.

I don't need that 60 day extension, have plenty visa's and really don't like to go to immigration.

1 minute ago, BEVUP said:

He obviously has a Non O Multi from another country (Europe) where he had to show everything since it is only good for 90 days at a time 

But if he was to search this Forum he will find what I have said previously

Oh i see, well it IS confusing...yes a single visa is much easyier to get than a multiple of 5.

I wonder what happens if i didn't had sufficient funds on the bank but my wife has, would they still let me go to Thailand to see her? We are officially married in Thailand. They also call my wife in Thailand when i apply for visa in Holland. She has been in Holland many times as well and they know everything about both of us.

3 minutes ago, Thian said:

I'm sorry I don't understand your problem or your visa predicament anymore.

You have not read or understood what I have written. Perhaps English is not your mother language. If so apologies.

I have never had a retirement visa. I have a "Multi Non O" and have had for 14 years.

I cross land borders every 90 days. By myself. With my own transport. Have done for 14 years.

Sometimes I come straight back. Sometimes I stay a night or two.

Regards,

TG.

2 minutes ago, Thian said:

I don't believe all the info on this forum, if UbonJoe with the Kwai  avatar writes it i'll believe it haha.

Yes i would like to do it in Savanahket as well but if it gets refused for whatever reason i have a big problem, have all my paperwork in Holland. But it's very strange that they are superstrict in Holland (even the photograph has to be less than few months old or gets refused) while in Lao they even don't ask for funds. I have to show them loads of bankaccounts and nothing else is accepted, nothing which has a lot of value. Also i have to show them my income and they question about it. It's a real pain and very humiliating...then when all is accepted they still can send emails that they need more paperwork that i have to bring asap. I never did anything wrong, have sufficient funds, never overstayed, no criminal records, own companies, have a house, solid income...but still treat me as i were a criminal on the run.

I don't need that 60 day extension, have plenty visa's and really don't like to go to immigration.

The information I have learnt is from them & they also stated that you can get something like 500 days out of the 1 yr Visa by getting the 60 day Extensions

1 hour ago, Thian said:

everyone's circumstances are different, what suits one will not suit another, if you found whats good for you, great

1 hour ago, thaiguzzi said:

I'm sorry I don't understand your problem or your visa predicament anymore.

You have not read or understood what I have written. Perhaps English is not your mother language. If so apologies.

I have never had a retirement visa. I have a "Multi Non O" and have had for 14 years.

I cross land borders every 90 days. By myself. With my own transport. Have done for 14 years.

Sometimes I come straight back. Sometimes I stay a night or two.

Regards,

TG.

I guessed you had the retirement visa, you didn't write it...and nope english is my 2nd language out of 5.

This is from our embassy, i don't understand which one you have.... i have the one for being married to a Thai and applied for a multiple of 5.

For all the non-o's we have to show bankaccounts and for some you have to be older than 50 yo.

http://www.thaiembassy.org/hague/th/services/76465-Types-of-Visa.html

Non-Immigrant Visa O (others)

NON-IMMIGRANT VISA Category "O" (Other)

This type of visa is issued to applicants who wish to enter the Kingdom to perform other activities as follows:

(1) to perform duty or mission in the family of an alien who enters to stay temporarily in Thailand in accordance with Section 34 (1) (2) (5) (6) (7) (10) (11) (12) (13) and (14) of the Immigration Act B.E. 2522 (1979) as the parents, spouse or child under patronage or being a part of the household of the said person or being a private servant under Section 15 (7)

(2) to provide or receive support from the person whose nationality is Thai or the alien who has been granted and has taken up permanent residence in Thailand as the parents, spouse or child under patronage and being a part of the household of the said person

(3) to perform duties for the state enterprise or social welfare organizations

(4) to stay in Thailand after retirement for the elderly

(5) A person who used to be a Thai who would like to visit relatives or to return to live in Thailand

(6) to receive medical treatment for more than 60 days

(7) to be a sport trainer as required by the Thai Government

(8) to be a contestant or a witness for the judicial process