Bangkok remains No. 1 world’s most visited city

webfact

Bangkok remains No. 1 world’s most visited city

teaser.jpeg.jpg

File photo

BANGKOK, 29th November 2017 (NNT) – Bangkok has retained its title as the world's most-visited city for the second consecutive year by the Mastercard Global Destination Cities Index.

The Governor of Bangkok, Pol. Gen. Asawin Kwanmuang, received a plaque from Donald Ong, Mastercard's country manager for Thailand and Myanmar, at the Bangkok City Hall. The Mastercard's Global Destinations Cities Index has ranked Bangkok the world's most-visited city with 19.41-million visitors last year, followed by London. The ranking comprises the world’s 132 top destination cities. 

Pol. Gen. Asawin said he is ready to push forward and help Thailand's capital retain the title for the third year in a row by ensuring the life and property safety of tourists. He has called on Thai people not to take advantage of tourists, and has coordinated with the Metropolitan Police Bureau and the Tourist Police Bureau to continue providing assistance to them. 

In 2016, Bangkok welcomed 19.4 million international overnight visitors and ranked fifth in international overnight visitors' spending, totaling 14.08 billion US dollars. 

Leisure was the main purpose for visitors traveling to Bangkok at 88.6 percent, significantly higher than business travelers at 11.4 percent.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-11-29

Just now, vadid said:

And how many of these 'visitors' were actually residents coming back after getting visa extensions? Having lived for several years in both London and Bangkok, there is no way Bangkok gets more visitors than London.

I spend 6 months in Bangkok and 6 Months in Central London...Londin is always busy with tourists everywhere you go..

where as Bangkok , not like it used to be, quiet for sure, don’t see many Farang Tourists wandering the streets,,

Chinese are definetly here in Bangkok....on Holiday.., but the Tourist Crowds are in London....

3 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

Yeh right the last of the TAT ladies wisdom and lies are with us. Now even worse bull from her successor.

Incorrect.  There are a number of international agencies, companies such as Mastercard, etc. that measure these things.  None have any connection to Thailand.  If you check them, you will find the Bangkok comes out at number 1 on a lot of them, and I think no lower than number 3 on any of them. 

1 minute ago, newnative said:

Incorrect.  There are a number of international agencies, companies such as Mastercard, etc. that measure these things.  None have any connection to Thailand.  If you check them, you will find the Bangkok comes out at number 1 on a lot of them, and I think no lower than number 3 on any of them. 

How dare you contradict that mans Thai bashing with useful fact. :shock1:

4 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

Yeh right the last of the TAT ladies wisdom and lies are with us. Now even worse bull from her successor.

"The Mastercard's Global Destinations Cities Index has ranked Bangkok the world's most-visited city..."

Nothing to do with the ex-Minister, or her successor, just an independent survey.

4 hours ago, vadid said:

And how many of these 'visitors' were actually residents coming back after getting visa extensions? Having lived for several years in both London and Bangkok, there is no way Bangkok gets more visitors than London.

How would you know that just by living there, were you involved in the compiling the number of visitors to both cities?

2 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

For me the big difference between Bangkok and London is that Bangkok smells of sewage and London doesn,t :( Sooner or later S.E.Asia is going to have to come to grips with proper waste treatment, maybe pay for it with some of these tourist dollars :)

Which part of Bangkok smells of sewage?  Maybe your nose is just too close to your arse.

1 hour ago, newnative said:

Don't spoil the thread with facts, it just confuses those posters!

6 hours ago, robertthebruce said:

I spend 6 months in Bangkok and 6 Months in Central London...Londin is always busy with tourists everywhere you go..

where as Bangkok , not like it used to be, quiet for sure, don’t see many Farang Tourists wandering the streets,,

Chinese are definetly here in Bangkok....on Holiday.., but the Tourist Crowds are in London....

Try areas outside of Nana/Sukumvit   such as Central Lad Prao , Central Chang Wattana where movies are shown in English only no subtitles  or Future Park Rangsit.

45 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

Be interesting to know how many first-time visitors bothered going back.

We get this comment over and over.  The answer is most tourists visit a place just once.  Then they cross it off their bucket list and move on to the next place they want to see.  Lots and lots of places to see in the World.  I can say I've visited Beijing and the Great Wall, for example, and I can also say it's highly unlikely I will go back.  Lots of places still to see.  Once.