Two American tourists fined 5000 Baht for 'butt selfie' at Thai temple

webfact

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

You misunderstood my point about that news item.

In the types of items you posted, anything goes.

In a hard news item that presents itself as accurate, calling a married couple buddies without mentioning the marriage is basically a FAIL. 

It's still updated coverage, describing their relationship in a different way to the earlier piece. Of course I can see it's not a hard news item and I never claimed it was. But it's the first subsequent mention of them in the same paper, so it's quite relevant to mention it, if nothing else as a counterpoint to the way the first article described them.

It also sat amidst various other serious items in the same column, including the death of an influential politician, the bans on political meetings, the troubles in the South and the Miss Universe contestant. It wasn't in the Mae Moo gossip section on the back page. 

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A fascinating read about farangs in Thai goals.  It is hard to believe that $1.40 can feed a man for a day and yet that is the average cost of feeding a prisoner for a  day in Thailand.

http://www.thaiprisonlife.com/blogs/a-foreigner-in-a-thai-prison/

Those that feel sympathy for the two men from California must truly be distressed.  

7 minutes ago, isaanbanhou said:

A fascinating read about farangs in Thai goals.  It is hard to believe that $1.40 can feed a man for a day and yet that is the average cost of feeding a prisoner for a  day in Thailand.

http://www.thaiprisonlife.com/blogs/a-foreigner-in-a-thai-prison/

Those that feel sympathy for the two men from California must truly be distressed.  

I feel sympathy for mass murderers experiencing such conditions.

But it sounds to me now that you're trying to hijack this thread towards a general discussion of prison conditions. 

Edited by Jingthing

7 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

It's still updated coverage, describing their relationship in a different way to the earlier piece. Of course I can see it's not a hard news item and I never claimed it was. But it's the first subsequent mention of them in the same paper, so it's quite relevant to mention it, if nothing else as a counterpoint to the way the first article described them.

It also sat amidst various other serious items in the same column, including the death of an influential politician, the bans on political meetings, the troubles in the South and the Miss Universe contestant. It wasn't in the Mae Moo gossip section on the back page. 

That wasn't a news item and there was nothing new in that item that we didn't already know.  End of discussion please on both of these items. Done to death. 

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I have feel sympathy for mass murderers experiencing such conditions.

But it sounds to me now that you're trying to hijack this thread towards a general discussion of prison conditions. 

Not at all.  These are the conditions these men face today as we speak. Soon they will be awakened, be required to fold their small blanket, be fed a thin rice soup and the have a communal shower most likely.  I would suggest that knowing the conditions they are confined in is more relevant than if they are described as married in a singular news article.  Personally if I were in their situation, I would be most concerned about communicable diseases, ie tuberculosis 

14 minutes ago, isaanbanhou said:

Not at all.  These are the conditions these men face today as we speak. Soon they will be awakened, be required to fold their small blanket, be fed a thin rice soup and the have a communal shower most likely.  I would suggest that knowing the conditions they are confined in is more relevant than if they are described as married in a singular news article.  Personally if I were in their situation, I would be most concerned about communicable diseases, ie tuberculosis 

You're right that is more relevant but that doesn't mean I was wrong to bring it up. As I said before this gay married couple is probably the first gay married couple to be arrested in Thailand as a couple. So the Thai press coverage, in that case basically closeting them and acting like their marriage doesn't exist, was to me worthy of mention. Same sex marriage isn't legally recognized in Thailand but visiting married people are still married (not "buddies"), as a matter of FACT. 

I didn't intend it to be a long thing. Off topic responses to it did that.

But again, I kind of think you're playing games. The conditions here are well known. These guys are entering the same conditions as all other prisoners, regardless of the stories of what brought them there. 

Edited by Jingthing

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

You're right that is more relevant but that doesn't mean I was wrong to bring it up. As I said before this gay married couple is probably the first gay married couple to be arrested in Thailand as a couple. So the Thai press coverage, in that case basically closeting them, was to me worthy of mention. I didn't intend it to be a long thing. Off topic responses to it did that.

Certainly I can understand your concern that the fact these men being married is not noted.  It's just a shame that no one is willing to stand up and advocate for them. Someone with a wealth of knowledge about Thailand,  a firm understanding of the alternative lifestyle that they lead and  is more than willing to share their insights would be ideal to act as an "uncle figure" to the two.  If only someone like that could step up and make a difference.

I fear if no hero as described above seizes the moment, the two gay, married Americans will suffer immeasurably 

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I just don't want anyone, including them, to experience a long time in prison for the type of mistake that they did make. 

mistake?

they have committed an offence contrary to the CCA

and Thai sacrilege laws

this is serious not a mistake

and they posted with intent

ignorance is no defence

15 hours ago, sanemax said:

I do think that the gov will make an example of these two

Oh yes, giving this government tendency to shoot themselves in both feet, more than likely. Maybe this time, they could use their brains, swollow their pride and ignore their ego and release the two.

The backlash will be great, initial anger at their prank will be replaced by anger about an unreasonable and unjust response by the junta. 

They will never learn, incompetent and absolute idiotic.

Edited by sjaak327

Four years?  That's about when the gay British teacher cliques starting disappearing.. only because they were shown the door, even though they were more than willing to work for 2 GBP per hour, fake degrees and all.  Good riddance, plenty of sour grapes.  Thai lefty elites loving London..not surprising, they would eat a pile of goat Shiite if they thought it was HiSo.  Plenty, of other, Eurotrash, filling the white face void here..word is the Thai kids can actually understand the Ukrainians, but not the majority from inbred island.

Extraordinary!

Tell us, how many teaching jobs did you apply for unsuccessfully before you took to voicing your frustration here?

Sent from my KENNY using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Another day with no update. And so it goes ... 

Dinner tonight was cold rice soup, as was breakfast.

Travis has made a friend with a Swiss man who has been given at least 5 more weeks in Thailand by the Thai government.

Joseph is a little jealous of the Swiss man, but believes he is high up in some computer export business and  can help them when he is released.

Travis has also made a friend with a Nigerian gentleman who claims to know people that can get them out of detention by Friday. But first they need 500,000 baht for a special liquid that washes his US dollars as they were blackened mysteriously.

After a communal shower, the four friends snuggled down to a good nights sleep.

More updates tomorrow.

images.jpg

Some details on the charges they may be facing. 

If the charges are made and convictions for both, it appears based on this link that the MINIMUM punishment would be two years in prison plus an additional fine. That's the best case scenario with two convictions. 

https://nextshark.com/joseph-travis-dasilva-gay-couple-faces-years-of-harsh-punishment-in-thailand-for-exposing-themselves-at-sacred-temple/

For violating the country’s Computer Crime Act, the couple faces a maximum of five years in prison and/or a fine of not more than 100,000 baht ($3,063).

Under the Section 206 breach of “Insulting or Defaming a Religion,” the couple can face a minimum of two years and a maximum of seven years in a Thai prison for the crime. A fine of 2,000 baht ($61.26) to 14,000 baht ($428.82) may also be considered on top of the prison sentence. The couple may also face discrimination for their sexual identity given Thailand’s less than fair treatment and limited basic rights for the LGBT community.

Regarding the latter sentence about discrimination, it's worth noting and the linked article explains why they said that, but for the purposes of this thread, I think if people want to discuss that in detail they should start a dedicated thread about that in the gay subforum here.

Edited by Jingthing

28 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Some details on the charges they may be facing. 

If the charges are made and convictions for both, it appears based on this link that the MINIMUM punishment would be two years in prison plus an additional fine. That's the best case scenario with two convictions. 

Would you say that that is quite a reasonable sentence ?

I have read all your posts in this thread and you havent quite made it clear what you feel should be their punishment

1 hour ago, isaanbanhou said:

Dinner tonight was cold rice soup, as was breakfast.

Travis has made a friend with a Swiss man who has been given at least 5 more weeks in Thailand by the Thai government.

Joseph is a little jealous of the Swiss man, but believes he is high up in some computer export business and  can help them when he is released.

Travis has also made a friend with a Nigerian gentleman who claims to know people that can get them out of detention by Friday. But first they need 500,000 baht for a special liquid that washes his US dollars as they were blackened mysteriously.

After a communal shower, the four friends snuggled down to a good nights sleep.

More updates tomorrow.

images.jpg

Can hardly wait ......

Would you say that that is quite a reasonable sentence ?
I have read all your posts in this thread and you havent quite made it clear what you feel should be their punishment
2 years is appropriate.

Not just for the public indecency part but for doing it whilst climbing what is obviously a National Religious monument. Then send them to France so they can be punished for what they did at The Louvre.

They knew full well the importance of their chosen venues. Their display an obvious reference to@nal sex & was way beyond tomfoolery.

Aiming for fame in their community with the shock value of their antics was always going to be a risk.

They got their 15 minutes of fame. Just not how they wanted it.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, Dagnabbit said:

They knew full well the importance of their chosen venues. Their display an obvious reference to@nal sex & was way beyond tomfoolery.

Yes, I do believe that it was some sort of protest or celebration or deliberately trying to annoy people who disagree with their preference .