"777" road safety measure introduced for New Year

webfact

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A post containing a link to Bangkok Post has been removed:

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

These restrictions are put in place by the above publications, not Thaivisa.com
In rare cases, forum Administrators or the news team may use these sources under special permission.

OK, How many of you elderly farangs are not going to be able to renew your Thai drivers licenses after February 2018 when the new 5 medical reason for making you ineligible to hold a Thai license. The current medical reasons are elephantiasis, TB, leprosy, alcoholism and drug addiction. Now being added to this is epileptic seizures, high blood pressure, brain diseases, myocardial infarction and severe diabetes. How many of you suffer from high blood pressure?

It is expected to be in force in February 2018

13 hours ago, Russell17au said:

OK, How many of you elderly farangs are not going to be able to renew your Thai drivers licenses after February 2018 when the new 5 medical reason for making you ineligible to hold a Thai license. The current medical reasons are elephantiasis, TB, leprosy, alcoholism and drug addiction. Now being added to this is epileptic seizures, high blood pressure, brain diseases, myocardial infarction and severe diabetes. How many of you suffer from high blood pressure?

It is expected to be in force in February 2018

Many oldere expats fail or circumvent the eye tests or simply used their old home licence it an IDP downloaded from the net.

This although illegal for those staying over 3 months, seems to keep them out of trouble in the average casual road block check.

Edited by Airbagwill

2 hours ago, catman20 said:

so dose the same thing apply at round abouts?

No it doesn't, as the give way to the left doesn't apply in all situations. However, irrespective of what the rule book says, common sense should prevail. 

38 minutes ago, Artisi said:

No it doesn't, as the give way to the left doesn't apply in all situations. However, irrespective of what the rule book says, common sense should prevail. 

"However, irrespective of what the rule book says, common sense should prevail."

Yup, concede everytime (when in  doubt) in order to avoid a collision, particularly if you are a motorcycle/scooter rider.

24 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

"However, irrespective of what the rule book says, common sense should prevail."

Yup, concede everytime (when in  doubt) in order to avoid a collision, particularly if you are a motorcycle/scooter rider.

Interesting to see the number of deaths as they had right of way.  

8 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

Many oldere expats fail or circumvent the eye tests or simply used their old home licence it an IDP downloaded from the net.

This although illegal for those staying over 3 months, seems to keep them out of trouble in the average casual road block check.

How about reading my post again because you have not said anything that is anywhere near what I posted. My post was to do with the new medical requirements that will come into force around the end of February and it is only for those that have and will be applying for a Thai license, so your post is a load of rubbish that has nothing to do with my post

1 hour ago, lvr181 said:

Mmm......

But no point in being 'right' and dead, hence my advice to concede and live. :thumbsup:

Many many years back in Aust. before television,  there was slogan regularly broadcast on the radio, think it ran for a year and is still stuck in my mind-

"better to be late than dead on time" It's a shame more people don't apply it. 

Today I read one of the greatest comedy novels of all times, it is called

"Strict laws "to ensure safe roads"" and it is written by three of Thailand's greatest comedian authors Deputy Interior Minister Sutee Markboon; Transport Minister Arkhom Termpittayapaisith; Executive chairman of the Safer Roads Foundation Michael Woodford
It is a story about a country called Thailand which has a declared road fatality rate of 23,000 that die at the scene of the accident plus in excess of another 20,000 that die of injuries from road related accidents in hospitals and on the way to hospital that is not recorded. The story is about how this country Thailand is going to reduce the road toll by introducing new rules and requirements for some vehicles plus new harsher punishments for those that break the law and a more effective law enforcement.

Another one of the authurs;

Transport Minister Arkhom Termpittayapaisith wrote the state's investment in transportation infrastructure will be huge in the next 8-10 years. "Our expenditure on better traffic lights and improving road quality is only one aspect of our planned investments. Education is the missing key because we must create a culture of safety and awareness among youth, which is largely missing," he added.

The other authur;

Executive chairman of the Safer Roads Foundation Michael Woodford wrote "Only 4% of people pay for traffic tickets in Thailand. If 50,000 people are given a 500 baht fine per day, that's 25 million baht that could be re-invested in road safety,"

Mr Woodford also wrote. "There are 25,000 road traffic deaths per year in Europe and the EU population is 600 million. That makes Thailand dangerous when you look at the numbers, so please enforce your traffic laws," he added.

I laughed that hard while ready this novel that I actually wet my pants, it is a great fantasy and comical story ever written

50 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

Today I read one of the greatest comedy novels of all times, it is called

"Strict laws "to ensure safe roads"" and it is written by three of Thailand's greatest comedian authors Deputy Interior Minister Sutee Markboon; Transport Minister Arkhom Termpittayapaisith; Executive chairman of the Safer Roads Foundation Michael Woodford
It is a story about a country called Thailand which has a declared road fatality rate of 23,000 that die at the scene of the accident plus in excess of another 20,000 that die of injuries from road related accidents in hospitals and on the way to hospital that is not recorded. The story is about how this country Thailand is going to reduce the road toll by introducing new rules and requirements for some vehicles plus new harsher punishments for those that break the law and a more effective law enforcement.

Another one of the authurs;

Transport Minister Arkhom Termpittayapaisith wrote the state's investment in transportation infrastructure will be huge in the next 8-10 years. "Our expenditure on better traffic lights and improving road quality is only one aspect of our planned investments. Education is the missing key because we must create a culture of safety and awareness among youth, which is largely missing," he added.

The other authur;

Executive chairman of the Safer Roads Foundation Michael Woodford wrote "Only 4% of people pay for traffic tickets in Thailand. If 50,000 people are given a 500 baht fine per day, that's 25 million baht that could be re-invested in road safety,"

Mr Woodford also wrote. "There are 25,000 road traffic deaths per year in Europe and the EU population is 600 million. That makes Thailand dangerous when you look at the numbers, so please enforce your traffic laws," he added.

I laughed that hard while ready this novel that I actually wet my pants, it is a great fantasy and comical story ever written

"which has a declared road fatality rate of 23,000 that die at the scene of the accident plus in excess of another 20,000 that die of injuries from road related accidents in hospitals and on the way to hospital that is not recorded"

You premise is incorrect you are reading staistics incorrectly.

5 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

"which has a declared road fatality rate of 23,000 that die at the scene of the accident plus in excess of another 20,000 that die of injuries from road related accidents in hospitals and on the way to hospital that is not recorded"

You premise is incorrect you are reading staistics incorrectly.

Does the pedantic's make any real difference to the massive number of unnecessary road deaths each year resulting from lack of enforcement, skills, poor attitude, and down right stupidity - nope,  not one iota. 

30 minutes ago, Artisi said:

Does the pedantic's make any real difference to the massive number of unnecessary road deaths each year resulting from lack of enforcement, skills, poor attitude, and down right stupidity - nope,  not one iota. 

Yes- there isa huge difference the total of deaths,  death rate per 10k pop., death per 100k vehicles death rate per VKT, - the injury rates aren't even recorded in Thailand and they are the biggest part of the picture.

The police stats criteria are no longer used on their own  and many other countries have had identical death rates - i taken them up to 45 years to get round it.

The thing is if you don't understand the stats don't understand the problem - it isn't and never was unique to Thailand and it isn't a matter for reinforcing one's misconceptions that westerners somehow supperior to Thai people. Even in the way they drive.road safety is a health and safety problem - think how it is addressed in factories - not by telling people notto be stupid, but  by preventing tupid for doing stupid.

11 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

Yes- there isa huge difference the total of deaths,  death rate per 10k pop., death per 100k vehicles death rate per VKT, - the injury rates aren't even recorded in Thailand and they are the biggest part of the picture.

The police stats criteria are no longer used on their own  and many other countries have had identical death rates - i taken them up to 45 years to get round it.

The thing is if you don't understand the stats don't understand the problem - it isn't and never was unique to Thailand and it isn't a matter for reinforcing one's misconceptions that westerners somehow supperior to Thai people. Even in the way they drive.road safety is a health and safety problem - think how it is addressed in factories - not by telling people notto be stupid, but  by preventing tupid for doing stupid.

The 23,000 figure that I quoted happened to come from Thailands Deputy Interior Minister Sutee Markboon and you even state that injuries are not recorded and neither are the deaths that occur in hospitals 3 and 4 days after the accident which would equate to around the same figure as those that die at the scene. The only statistic that is important is that too many people will die from road accidents and people that carry on about per head of population and all that rubbish have their heads stuck in the sand and cannot accept the fact that TOO many people die on the roads. It is not an Occupational Health and Safety issue like you claim and if it was then it would still have to be treated the same with laws, enforcement and penalties for those that break the law. Thai's must learn to accept that there are laws of the road and that they must abide by those laws and if they break those laws then they must pay the penalty.