Trump says Flynn's actions during presidential transition were lawful

rooster59

Trump says Flynn's actions during presidential transition were lawful

640x640 (2).jpg

FILE PHOTO: U.S. Army Lieutenant General Michael Flynn looks at U.S. President-elect Donald Trump as he talks with the media at Mar-a-Lago estate where Trump attends meetings, in Palm Beach, Florida, U.S., December 21, 2016. REUTERS/Carlos Barria/File Photo

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump said on Saturday that actions by his disgraced former national security adviser Michael Flynn during the presidential transition were lawful and said that there was no collusion between his 2016 White House campaign and Russia.

Flynn was the first member of Trump's administration to plead guilty to a crime uncovered by special counsel Robert Mueller's wide-ranging investigation into Russian attempts to influence the 2016 U.S. presidential election and possible collusion by Trump aides.

"I had to fire General Flynn because he lied to the Vice President and the FBI. He has pled guilty to those lies," Trump said on Twitter while he was in New York for a fundraising trip. "It is a shame because his actions during the transition were lawful. There was nothing to hide!"

Flynn, a former Defense Intelligence Agency director, held his position as Trump’s national security adviser only for 24 days. He was forced to resign after he was found to have misled Vice President Mike Pence about his discussions with Russia's then-ambassador to the United States Sergei Kislyak.

“What has been shown is no collusion, no collusion," Trump told reporters as he departed the White House for the New York trip. "There’s been absolutely no collusion, so we’re very happy.”

As part of his plea on Friday, Flynn agreed to cooperate with the investigation.

The retired U.S. Army lieutenant general admitted in a Washington court that he lied to FBI investigators about his discussions last December with Kislyak.

In what appeared to be moves undermining the policies of outgoing President Barack Obama, the pair discussed U.S. sanctions on Russia, and Flynn asked Kislyak to help delay a United Nations vote seen as damaging to Israel, according to prosecutors.

Flynn was also told by a "very senior member" of Trump's transition team to contact Russia and other foreign governments to try to influence them ahead of the vote, the prosecutors said.

Sources told Reuters the "very senior" transition official was Jared Kushner, Trump's son-in-law and senior advisor. Kushner's lawyer did not respond to multiple requests for comment.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-12-03

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

37 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

"I had to fire General Flynn because he lied to the Vice President and the FBI. He has pled guilty to those lies," Trump said on Twitter while he was in New York for a fundraising trip. "It is a shame because his actions during the transition were lawful. There was nothing to hide!"

Jeez. Talk about total BS. He lied to the FBI under oath! That's a crime. Nothing to hide?

Trump desperately needs to resign. He's such a loser.

It does not matter what this man says. Why? He will say anything. Whether or not there is one morsel of truth in what he says, means nothing to him. He is a master of disinformation.

“He’s a pathological liar. I’ve said that repeatedly and I’ve been saying it since the 80s. He has two sports, golf and lying, and that’s it. He just lies about everything.”

Trump has changed parties and careers and wives, but his estranged relationship with truth is remarkably consistent. “I don’t think it has evolved,” she said. “I don’t think he’s changed much. What you’re seeing now is what you saw 30 years ago. No matter how well wired a gossip columnist is, there are those who will try to snip those wires,” Mulcahy wrote at the time. “Of all the wire cutters I’ve encountered, Donald Trump carries the sharpest instruments.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/dec/01/trump-gossip-columnist-media-coverage-susan-mulcahy?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

57 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Jeez. Talk about total BS. He lied to the FBI under oath! That's a crime. Nothing to hide?

Trump desperately needs to resign. He's such a loser.

I believe there is still a chance he will resign. This passage of the tax bill was an anomaly. He may grow increasingly frustrated with not being able to get anything else passed, combined with a lack of adoration and worship. And of course, there is still a significant chance of impeachment. Who knows what else might come out. His participation in the orgy island stuff, with Jeffrey Epstein. Or who knows what else. This man is filthier than a homeless man, who has not had access to a shower in a month. 

I think it will be borne out that Pence and Trump DID KNOW about Flynn making back-room deals with the Russkies - during the transition.  The reason everyone is bleating that Pence didn't know - is to shield Pence.  Even the press corps is sucked into that one.  If it's proven that both the prez-elect and VP-elect knew, then they're in on the violation of the Hatch Act.  They're all 3 guilty.  Mark my words.

When it is proven, it will be further grist that Trump is unfit to be president, but we have known that for over a year.  Perhaps more importantly, Pence will be shown to be unfit to take over from Trump.   Enter President Ryan.  Ugh.  The Republican harmful-to-America cabal is deep.

That's why Pence has been so quiet lately.  He knows anything he says about anything, will show him to be the anti-American dufus he is.

16 minutes ago, boomerangutang said:

That's why Pence has been so quiet lately.  He knows anything he says about anything, will show him to be the anti-American dufus he is.

Pence is measuring the White House residence to see if he needs alterations to fit his "women and alcohol free" dining room set.

9 minutes ago, Boon Mee said:

Of course they were lawful. 

Obama gave Flynn the go-ahead to speak to the Russians. 

Why did he lie to the Febbies? 

Big mystery... 

No, it was Trumps family BEFORE they were in office:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/kushner-is-senior-transition-official-who-ordered-flynn-to-contact-russia-reports/ar-BBG1F01?li=AA5a8k&ocid=spartanntp

Edited by FritsSikkink

There is nothing unlawful in a transition team having talks with foreign entities. Both Obama and Bush snr did this with no repercussions.

Do you think it would be reasonable to wait until you are actually in office before being ready to meet all contingencies? Only an idiot would go in unprepared.

52 minutes ago, boomerangutang said:

I think it will be borne out that Pence and Trump DID KNOW about Flynn making back-room deals with the Russkies - during the transition.  The reason everyone is bleating that Pence didn't know - is to shield Pence.  Even the press corps is sucked into that one.  If it's proven that both the prez-elect and VP-elect knew, then they're in on the violation of the Hatch Act.  They're all 3 guilty.  Mark my words.

When it is proven, it will be further grist that Trump is unfit to be president, but we have known that for over a year.  Perhaps more importantly, Pence will be shown to be unfit to take over from Trump.   Enter President Ryan.  Ugh.  The Republican harmful-to-America cabal is deep.

What I find amusing about this discussion, is the high likelihood, that Trump not only knew, but directed his team to make these contacts, and encouraged the Russian campaign. He tried to influence an election, using a near enemy to do so. In many countries this would be considered treason, and punishable by death. Instead, this worm gloats about the probability of being re-elected. Not going to happen. You will end up a disgraced man. And the world will applaud. 

America has sunk very low. Low enough to elect this dotard crime boss. But, not low enough to finally figure out who the creep really is. It will happen. Of that, I am sure. 

Edited by spidermike007

9 minutes ago, Boon Mee said:

Of course they were lawful.  Obama gave Flynn the go-ahead to speak to the Russians.  Why did he lie to the Febbies?  Big mystery... 

Not true.  And even if true, Obama would not appoint Flynn to be an envoy to the Russians, for three basic reasons.  #1. Obama had, at that time, a very competent Sec.of State in Kelly (jeez, I miss Obama, his family and his administration), .... and #2. Flynn had already been fired from a top role in the Obama administration.  Why would Obama designate someone who was already disgraced and discharged from service - and who was also bosom buddies with Trump?

#3. If Obama were to have deputized Flynn to negotiate with the Russkies, Obama would have made sure Prez-elect Trump (and therefore VP-elect Pence) knew about it.  

Your hare-brained conspiracy theory makes no sense.  You must have heard it on Fox News or another right-wing online conspiracy outlet.

It will be shown clearly, that both Trump and Pence (and perhaps others in their cabal) knew clearly that Flynn was unlawfully negotiating (as a private citizen) with an adversarial foreign administration before Trump was president.  Actually, it will be shown that Flynn was directed by Trump to do so.  That's the only logical inference in this imbroglio.  

Hypothetical:  What if Flynn, as NSA director, (with a nod from Trump) via secret back-channels to Russia (set up by Kushner?) was clandestinely arranging for Russia to pull out of Ukraine and Syria while the USA pulled out of Iran and Afghanistan concurrently.  Russia agrees.  The US the does it's part of the deal, but then Russia doesn't.  The US is caught with its pants down around its ankles.  Granted, it's a hypothetical scenario, but it shows the sorts of weird things that can happen when rash individual decisions over-ride State Dept methodical policies.

28 minutes ago, Boon Mee said:

Of course they were lawful. 

Obama gave Flynn the go-ahead to speak to the Russians. 

Why did he lie to the Febbies? 

Big mystery... 

Obama specifically told Trump officials NOT to speak with foreign officials until they were...well...officials!

And yes, it's illegal. Duh. Otherwise, why would Flynn plead guilty! LOL

You really, really, really need to keep up with the news. Stop reading sites like Infowars. You just make a fool of yourself.

5 minutes ago, boomerangutang said:

Not true.  And even if true, Obama would not appoint Flynn to be an envoy to the Russians, for three basic reasons.  #1. Obama had, at that time, a very competent Sec.of State in Kelly (jeez, I miss Obama, his family and his administration), .... and #2. Flynn had already been fired from a top role in the Obama administration.  Why would Obama designate someone who was already disgraced and discharged from service - and who was also bosom buddies with Trump?

#3. If Obama were to have deputized Flynn to negotiate with the Russkies, Obama would have made sure Prez-elect Trump (and therefore VP-elect Pence) knew about it.  

Your hare-brained conspiracy theory makes no sense.  You must have heard it on Fox News or another right-wing online conspiracy outlet.

It will be shown clearly, that both Trump and Pence (and perhaps others in their cabal) knew clearly that Flynn was unlawfully negotiating (as a private citizen) with an adversarial foreign administration before Trump was president.  Actually, it will be shown that Flynn was directed by Trump to do so.  That's the only logical inference in this imbroglio.  

Hypothetical:  What if Flynn, as NSA director, (with a nod from Trump) via secret back-channels to Russia (set up by Kushner?) was clandestinely arranging for Russia to pull out of Ukraine and Syria while the USA pulled out of Iran and Afghanistan concurrently.  Russia agrees.  The US the does it's part of the deal, but then Russia doesn't.  The US is caught with its pants down around its ankles.  Granted, it's a hypothetical scenario, but it shows the sorts of weird things that can happen when rash individual decisions over-ride State Dept methodical policies.

Not only that, but it shows what happens when a dotard wanna be king, gets outplayed by a far smarter, far more cunning opponent, just like Trump got outplayed in Syria. He lost that war, and Putin won. He handed King Vlad his biggest foreign policy accomplishment in the past 15 years. Congratulations Disaster Don. Making America great again. Definitely not.  

I was not a fan, nor a supporter of Obama. But, Trump makes Obama look like the most dignified, and elegant man in the world, by comparison with this slimy, swamp dwelling circus huckster. 

Edited by spidermike007

19 minutes ago, DoctorG said:

There is nothing unlawful in a transition team having talks with foreign entities. Both Obama and Bush snr did this with no repercussions.

Do you think it would be reasonable to wait until you are actually in office before being ready to meet all contingencies? Only an idiot would go in unprepared.

Trump's people crossed the line.  It's one thing to discuss issues.  That's fine.  It's another, to undermine US policy while a private citizen, which Flynn was at that time, December '16.

We're also finding out that Flynn:

>>> lied about other important things,

>>>  influenced the Republican convention platform to go easy on condemning Russian annexing parts of Ukraine, while he was a paid agent ($60 million) of disgraced former Ukrainian prez - in favor of.......  you guessed it, Putin.
>>>  was an unregistered foreign agent,

>>>  was conspiring to kidnap a person in PA and secretly ship that person to Turkey

.....that's just a partial list of the law-breaking attributed to traitor Flynn and his son.

Edited by boomerangutang

16 minutes ago, DoctorG said:

It is unlawful. Why are you not aware of this?

Knocking the pins over one by one, we're yet to see/hear what else Flynn has to say.  Hopefully this will be wrapped up soon and let the chips fall where they may, and not let it be dragged out out like Benghazi and the Obama "Birther" mob.

39 minutes ago, DoctorG said:

The prime example being Reagan talking to the Iranians to orchestrate the hostage release with his inauguration.

This is a depressing but necessary read:

“Democrats don’t like giving up on their institutions easily, and the Mueller investigation has served as both the best and the worst manifestation of that alluring Democratic reasonableness. So long as he is working away, filing documents and convening grand juries, nobody needs to take to the streets. But as the year has progressed, it’s become clear that absolutely nothing will persuade Trump supporters and Republicans in Congress that it’s time to disavow the president—not lying, not spilling state secrets, not abject failure in crisis management, and not openly performed corruption. Given that reality, it often feels like it wouldn’t be enough for Mueller to hand us a smoking gun and an indictment. What if they threw a conviction and nobody came?”

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/jurisprudence/2017/12/is_it_too_late_for_robert_mueller_to_save_us.html

12 minutes ago, Thakkar said:

This is a depressing but necessary read:

“Democrats don’t like giving up on their institutions easily, and the Mueller investigation has served as both the best and the worst manifestation of that alluring Democratic reasonableness. So long as he is working away, filing documents and convening grand juries, nobody needs to take to the streets. But as the year has progressed, it’s become clear that absolutely nothing will persuade Trump supporters and Republicans in Congress that it’s time to disavow the president—not lying, not spilling state secrets, not abject failure in crisis management, and not openly performed corruption. Given that reality, it often feels like it wouldn’t be enough for Mueller to hand us a smoking gun and an indictment. What if they threw a conviction and nobody came?”

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/jurisprudence/2017/12/is_it_too_late_for_robert_mueller_to_save_us.html

Think this was pointed out long ago. Norms are being eroded and will continue to be, even if Trump is ejected from the White House. After all, that's a Yuge part of what Trump is all about. Can't say that the extreme partisan discourse is a great tool at convincing people seeing thing one's way, though. 

5 minutes ago, Morch said:

Think this was pointed out long ago. Norms are being eroded and will continue to be, even if Trump is ejected from the White House. After all, that's a Yuge part of what Trump is all about. Can't say that the extreme partisan discourse is a great tool at convincing people seeing thing one's way, though. 

When I moved my family back to the stes 5 years ago I sat them down to talk about what to expect. I told them that IMO the US was 5-10 years away from hitting rock bottom in terms of its culture , society, and economy. I'm extending that to 5-15 years. Things aren't bad enough yet. Trump is merely an agent of change, but things are going to get worse before they get better IMO. Trump or no Trump. Maybe the only thing that guy Steve Bannon got right was that book "Generations". It is a brilliant book which highlights the cyclical nature inherent within societies.

3 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

When I moved my family back to the stes 5 years ago I sat them down to talk about what to expect. I told them that IMO the US was 5-10 years away from hitting rock bottom in terms of its culture , society, and economy. I'm extending that to 5-15 years. Things aren't bad enough yet. Trump is merely an agent of change, but things are going to get worse before they get better IMO. Trump or no Trump. Maybe the only thing that guy Steve Bannon got right was that book "Generations". It is a brilliant book which highlights the cyclical nature inherent within societies.

Well, guess what you're on about manifests differently in different parts of the country and at a varying pace. As for Bannon's musings, most aren't really all that original, but lifted (or "inspired") from others. Unless much mistaken, Bannon is not the author of "Generations".

15 minutes ago, Morch said:

Well, guess what you're on about manifests differently in different parts of the country and at a varying pace. As for Bannon's musings, most aren't really all that original, but lifted (or "inspired") from others. Unless much mistaken, Bannon is not the author of "Generations".

No, not Bannon's musings he's just the one who took the heat for mentioning the book which is written by Neil Howe. The follow up book, The Fourth Turning is even better but rather frightening.

Edited by lannarebirth