Pontiac Silverdome stadium fails to implode in Detroit

webfact

They blew it: Silverdome still stands after implosion attempt

Humans said they were going to blow up the old Detroit Lions stadium, but the stadium thought that was a blast.

BY GAEL FASHINGBAUER COOPER

Well, blow me down, as Popeye used to say. Or maybe don't.

A Detroit demolition company tried to bring down the Pontiac Silverdome's upper level on Sunday in front of hundreds of spectators. But when the smoke and noise cleared, the stadium was still standing.

Full story: https://www.cnet.com/news/pontiac-silverdome-implosion-attempt-detroit-lions/

-- Cnet 2017-12-04

5 minutes ago, Ulic said:

If only the automobiles built in Detroit of the same vintage were built as well. :coffee1:

Indeed, but whilst they weren't durable, they did have style and boy could they go - I miss the street rod days and all that entailed.

4 minutes ago, helpisgood said:

Well, the Detroit Lions were always able to implode.  So, why not their stadium?

Er.....The Detroit Lions home stadium was not the Silverdome, it was Ford Field or the Lions stadium.

Edited by simoh1490

Been there a few times for concerts. Saw The Who there in the seventies.

It was general admission and almost got crushed from people pushing from the back. You don't know how strong that force is untill you experience it. Told myself I will never go to a general admission event with that many people.

6 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

What do the demolition team do now? It's like pulling the pin on a grenade and nothing happens! Do they creep in slowly and lay more charges?

The structure will have been compromised by the failed detonations so I can't imagine another explosive implant job will work. That's a precise science based on the known strengths and weaknesses of intact load-bearing beams, etc. I imagine a slow, hand-demolition unless the people that awarded the contract to these guys are Blackjack players and fancy a twist or bust.