Decathlon, walked out empty handed.

impulse

Wanted to see if anyone else has had the same experience...

Went into Decathlon (BKK Rama4) yesterday and picked out some goodies amounting to around 2,000 baht.  The cashier rang them up and I handed her cash.  She asked for my phone number and I told her I don't give that out.  Then she asked for my email address and I told her the same.  (I already get enough junk e-mails and strangers contacting me on social media which I assume comes from them getting my phone number)  She pointed to something on the counter about getting in touch in case of a recall, and declined to sell them to me unless I gave her my contact info.  So I walked out empty handed. 

I guess I could have given her fake information, but I didn't- just out of principal.  Was this a fluke, or has a western owned company decided to shoot themselves in the butt and turn away customers who value their privacy?

Edited by impulse

Yeah, they try that in the UK as well. I reply that I can't give out that info under Data Protection Act. They will still sell you the goods though.

There's some terrible consumer practices appearing over here from the west.

Edited by grollies

Contact the corporate headquarters, which I believe are in France.

The privacy policy on information collected is explained at the worldwide website.

https://www.decathlon.com/pages/privacy-policy

A company that has in excess of €10 billion in revenues and in excess of 78,000 employees worldwide doesn't screw around on issues like this. The issue you encountered  reflects poor training at the sales associate level and should be brought to the attention of the master license holder. The operations in Thailand are by license and the violation of the corporate  privacy policy is a violation of the operating agreement.

It's up to you to address the issue because I don't think any readers of TVF  have any  influence with the retailer.

39 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

It's up to you to address the issue because I don't think any readers of TVF  have any  influence with the retailer.

With respect, it's not up to me to do diddly squat.  Except find another place to buy my goodies.  

(Edit: and regardless of their current privacy policy, they wouldn't be the first company to fib, or be hacked, or come under the control of someone who sees gold in them thar' piles of data)

To be honest, I've declined to give them the info many times in the past.  This is the first time they actually declined to complete the transaction without it.  I suspect you're right and it's a training issue.  And it's their responsibility to identify it and fix it.  Or not. 

In the meantime, I won't be shopping at Decathlon because life's too short to risk wasting my time shopping and then not be able to buy anything.  Fortunately, this time it was just a side visit and my main mission was in TESCO Lotus.  Who gladly took my cash, BTW.  No silly questions.

Edited by impulse

28 minutes ago, i claudius said:

Just give a false one .no big deal

While this probably falls under the "no harm, no foul" clause, I try my best to live honestly. 

The idea of compromising my honesty in order to do business (that benefits them) just doesn't go down well with me.  It's a slippery slope...

While this probably falls under the "no harm, no foul" clause, I try my best to live honestly. 

The idea of compromising my honesty in order to do business (that benefits them) just doesn't go down well with me.  It's a slippery slope...

Sorry lifes to short. Just lie

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 hours ago, impulse said:

With respect, it's not up to me to do diddly squat.  Except find another place to buy my goodies.  

(Edit: and regardless of their current privacy policy, they wouldn't be the first company to fib, or be hacked, or come under the control of someone who sees gold in them thar' piles of data)

To be honest, I've declined to give them the info many times in the past.  This is the first time they actually declined to complete the transaction without it.  I suspect you're right and it's a training issue.  And it's their responsibility to identify it and fix it.  Or not. 

In the meantime, I won't be shopping at Decathlon because life's too short to risk wasting my time shopping and then not be able to buy anything.  Fortunately, this time it was just a side visit and my main mission was in TESCO Lotus.  Who gladly took my cash, BTW.  No silly questions.

Tesco are desperate for your money....anybody's money. In the UK they use their Clubcard to track customer spending and use your spend data for targetted marketting.

4 hours ago, impulse said:

The new TM6 Immigration landing card has a space for your email address and telephone number.

If you leave it blank and the IO objects, I guess you can always opt to take your business elsewhere with them as well?... depending on your principles of course.

7 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

The new TM6 Immigration landing card has a space for your email address and telephone number.

If you leave it blank and the IO objects, I guess you can always opt to take your business elsewhere with them as well?... depending on your principles of course.

Huge difference between a government entity with some requirements before letting me into their country and a retailer with "requirements" selling me some trinkets.

55 minutes ago, champers said:

Tesco are desperate for your money....anybody's money. In the UK they use their Clubcard to track customer spending and use your spend data for targetted marketting.

That's why I never sign up for any store's "member card".  I don't want them tracking my spending habits or schedule, to sell the data on- possibly to my health insurance company who will see that I eat way too much sugar and how many 6-packs of beer I go through in a week (none, BTW, but you get the drift) or what size condoms I buy (and how many).  Or to a future (?) entity that rates employability and risks based on my habits and social media posts- for sale to companies I may interview with.

1 minute ago, impulse said:

That's why I never sign up for any store's "member card".  I don't want them tracking my spending habits or schedule, to sell the data on- possibly to my health insurance company who will see that I eat way too much sugar and how many 6-packs of beer I go through in a week (none, BTW, but you get the drift) or what size condoms I buy (and how many).  Or to a future (?) entity that rates employability and risks based on my habits and social media posts- for sale to companies I may interview with.

Pity.....

still, by following Thai Visa your healthcare provider may be able to pick up on your paranoia........ only joking :smile:

3 minutes ago, impulse said:

Of course, you also collect points which can be converted to cash.

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Which is why everyone should have a spare e mail address they never use and give the hotel ph number.

BTW, it's not yet obligatory for everyone to own a mobile ph or use e mail. In the case of a Thai mobile ph we have to register with the government anyway, so nothing to lose.

1 hour ago, impulse said:

I'll sign up if I get store discounts by doing so. They won't be learning much about me from my purchases.

3 hours ago, Jip99 said:

Pity.....

still, by following Thai Visa your healthcare provider may be able to pick up on your paranoia........ only joking :smile:

They can go ahead and look high and low for some goober named impulse...  

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'll sign up if I get store discounts by doing so. They won't be learning much about me from my purchases.

I'll be the first to admit that it's a personal choice.  They may not learn much from one store.  But sooner or later they'll have algorithms that can predict your behavior and your health based on some mundane set of buying habits, or choice of words on social media or websites you visit, or some combination of things you wouldn't think would give it away. 

They've got super computers crunching the data now looking for correlations.

In these cases I may contact the relevant senior Director, sending a letter via courier to head Office so at least it gets read. About 12 years ago I went to look at a Toyota in Orange County, California. Some saleman came out and almost immediately wanted a phone number. I told him I was “just looking today” however I would like a RAV-4 brochure. He then proceeded to follow me around at arms length as I looked at cars in the lot at an unnatural proximity. I asked him if he had to stand so close to me? He said if he didn’t he would “get into trouble”. I then let this pervert trail me inside for the brochure where I was shown a computer and told they were “out” of brouchures so I had to order one online. Again the form asking for all my details so I rolled my eyes and left.

At the door I was blocked by a large frowning salesman with a suit and mustache loking like some kind of a Mafia bodyguard with crossed arms without the slightest smile of courtesy. “Is there a problem sir? What would we need to do to get you into a new car today?”

Well they got my personal details alright. I sent a letter to the President of Toyota North America (FEDEX) detailing this situation and got an apology! Then sombody from the dealership sent me a partially hostile email asking “what I wanted from them?” These animals actually think they can intimidate people out of their money with thug tactics.

Ended up with a Honda CR-V from an online broker, You get the best price available in the area and go in with a sales order. Of course they try to upsell you on some overpriced options and other ripoffs but you tell them to get stuffed or you are leaving. Watch them cry boo-hoo.

Car salesmen are completely useless parasites in this day and age. Other than the maintenance guys they should just have pretty girls to take your money and hand you the keys.

In Thailand I have given my email and mobile so may times for point cards it is silly. What do I get but nuisance SMS messages daily, Thai emails I can’t read. Bought tiles from COTTO they must email me weekly though I have unsubscribed many times. AIS robocalls me, I not to answer any calls I don’t know most friends use SNSs anyway.

Total waste of marketing never convince me to buy anything.