Guestimate On The Value Of A Tuk Tuk

LivinLOS

A mate of mine bought the "Intown" model a couple of years ago. 550 c.c. for Bht 150,000.00.

Wonder what type of license you need and where you are allowed to drive it (as a farang)?

He actually has a car and motorbike license. However, the license office will not allow him to tax the tuk-tuk because he hasn't got an operators license; which as a farang, he obviously can't get. He checked with the local MiB who told him it didn't matter. :o:D :D

A mate of mine bought the "Intown" model a couple of years ago. 550 c.c. for Bht 150,000.00.

Wonder what type of license you need and where you are allowed to drive it (as a farang)?

He actually has a car and motorbike license. However, the license office will not allow him to tax the tuk-tuk because he hasn't got an operators license; which as a farang, he obviously can't get. He checked with the local MiB who told him it didn't matter. :o:D :D

Not sure I understand, sorry....can he drive the tuk tuk legally?

I had a tuk-tuk fantasy....er did some research..last year while in Udon Thani where they build some very flashy and cheap ones based on a motorcycle front end. They were trying very hard to promote them as stylish transportation for kids with a brochure called, for some reason Star Wars and the cost is a staggeringly reasonable 52,000 - 56,000 depending on engine size. I haven't missed any figures out there!

I'm sure you'd never get one approved for UK use without a raft of modifications and don't know about the legality of driving one here (I was told that the UT ones couldn't be used in BKK but whether that's because of safety issues or local protectionism, who knows?) but I'm really tempted......

While you're reading this, please note I'm still looking for info about electric bikes or scooters and where to get one

see here.

can he drive the tuk tuk legally?

looks like yes, he can

http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/viewtopic.php?t=2338

"insurance is only 400bt a year

no registration needed

no license plate required

no international drivers license required

less chance of a car killing you

no motorcycle to motorcycle accidents

motorbikes go around you

cheap on gas

you can haul lots of stuff

taxi your friends around

police dont want to stop you "

that tuk tuk goes for 40 000 baht - but the ad doesn't state how old is it and how many miles on the meter

LivinLOS, I could be up for the rally too - it looks fun and would make a great photo feature. Have you got a team together? I don't have time to read the whole site and am not sure if you have to use their vehicles or could you enter one of your own?

Anyone interested in the Udon factory: their number is 042 242290 - I can't see that they have a website but believe me, the tuk-tuks look great (although they do have the squeaky fanbelt operated rear brake derided in the ad....)!

Edited by Greenside

Its not a serious thought.. Only been looking at and hope to take part in the Indian Auto Rickshaw Challenge http://www.indianarc.com/index.php and was just kinda wondering about sme daft spin off ideas..

Have any more info on those cheapies..

You might contact this company, they will probably have or know where to get 2nd hand tuk-tuks > http://www.thailandtuktuk.net/thailand-tuktuk-products.htm

LivinLOS, I could be up for the rally too - it looks fun and would make a great photo feature. Have you got a team together? I don't have time to read the whole site and am not sure if you have to use their vehicles or could you enter one of your own?

Anyone interested in the Udon factory: their number is 042 242290 - I can't see that they have a website but believe me, the tuk-tuks look great (although they do have the squeaky fanbelt operated rear brake derided in the ad....)!

At this point I am 90% that me and my brother will do it.. Little Bro is flying up from Bali at the weekend and after a few days BKK will be to see me.. so mid next week we can sit down and discuss the fine details. We already agreed that this year we were going to do some nuts motorsport / travel / meyhem.. I have been digging through mad rallys and things happening globally (theres some fun stuff out there) but this is exactly the kind of sillyness we were thinking off.. This is kinda my new years resolution !!!

1000's of miles racing and partying across india in a tuk tuk.. Why the hel_l not !!!

He and I would be a team and a buddy has emailed to ask and shown a little interest also.. Cost looks very reasonable and we use thier tuk tuks so no real hassle.. I was thinking of tuktuks as a sister event :o !! Or hel_l.. Drive one from here to run what you brung !!!

You really interested ??

As others have got in touch now also.. Its possible we may end up doing a group thang..

I am not confirming it until I have a proper sit down with my Bro and we look at dates and options (theres other silly stuff.. The Rickshaw run, Mongol Rally, etc etc etc) but we are looking 90% at this point..

You know me... always on the last push money wise.

How much do you reckon?

Sounds like a good laugh though, as long as i can get a go at driving :o

tiger motorcycles also produces a tuk tuk of fairly high standard based around a motorcycle 4 stroke; I think it runs in at about 100,000b brand new. The owner is a cool guy, if there is something newsworthy you should mention to him and he might be willing to cut you a deal of sorts :-)

Located in Ratchada; good luck.

You know me... always on the last push money wise.

How much do you reckon?

Sounds like a good laugh though, as long as i can get a go at driving :o

1400 Euro for 2 includes hotels first and last night and each nights party access.. Also the tuk tuk is donated to a poor family / charity scene..

Adding in flights too and from and some indian accomodations and the been and curry budget.. It wont be a killer but its a bit.

Just sounds like madcap fun.. The extreme trifle lads are coming and loaded had a team in..

> He actually has a car and motorbike license. However, the license office will not allow

> him to tax the tuk-tuk because he hasn't got an operators license; which as a

> farang, he obviously can't get.

I think that's incorrect. New tuk tuks that are registered as taxis get a yellow license plate (like all public transport vehicles) with green letters.

A tuk tuk (or any 3 wheeled vehicle with similar specs) that's NOT a taxi gets a WHITE license plate with RED lettering. These anyone can register, they're not taxis.

Just watch next time you see some kind of promotional vehicle that's a tuk tuk based three wheeler and note the red-on-white plate.

They're not very common to say the least, so it's quite possible not everyone at your friendly transport office is very clued in about them.

(Why you'd actually want to drive such a horrific contraption is another matter, but legalities are not the issue. :o )