Rescue workers say first responders not ready for new training rule

webfact

6 hours ago, webfact said:

“We have long voiced our concerns. We believe the rule should be introduced, but only when we are really ready,” Nitisak said. 

He said systems must be prepared first to ensure personnel in the field can comply with the requirements. 

Thailand - where lethargic people hide behind 'systems' and any old excuse not to get off their lazy asses.

"But only when we are really ready"  . . . i.e. when we can organise an extra 16 hours (= two days) training for these 'crack' first responders. That's two days - not 2 <deleted>' months - of training . . . you'd think he was talking about planning an Everest expedition. Why do Thais have to be so intrinsically lazy?

Edited by Ossy
omission

Wow hey.... sometimes ignorance is bliss, because just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water.... thailand became even more scary.

but.... please let’s not hear any complaints from the “f off if you don’t like it” crowd,,,,, y’all have to continue to rate this kind of thing as one of life’s joys, not needing to be raised to a better standard, (note... better standard, not nessesarily western standard) as this is Thailand in all its glory

and.... a future medical hub for SEAsia.... excellent. 

8 hours ago, webfact said:

The new rule introduced by the NIEMS will prevent FR teams from transporting patients to medical facilities. 

That's the real reason for their resistance ... no "commission" !

The Misses has gotten a clear direction:

- If something happens here in the city, don't call 1669, call the hospital directly, which will come with trained staff and an ambulance car.

- The foundations with their dirty pickups and their "gone medic" motorbiketaxi-drivers will anyway drive as far as it takes to get the highest commission.

On the other hand:

.... might be different on the countryside in Nakhon Nowhere - better someone with low training putting you on their rescue pickup and racing like crazy to the next hospital with trained staff, than 10 people standing around you and doing absolutely nothing (except taking smartphone photos).

P.S.

I assume, a lot of foundations will loose 90% of their "staff", if they do not get commissions anymore.

(Real) Buddhist compassion versus "money, money, money".

Edited by BernieOnTour

when do you people stop knocking thailand, after my new hip popped out 100ks at my house in the jungle, while trying for a prohibited position after the recent op, in extreme pain, the paramedics did a fantastic job getting me to the local hospital, then the government hospital in udon , where they repositioned it  back in, i personally have had no problems in this country with anybody,with authority why do you pommie alcholic bar sitters constantly degrade every thing in thailand, go back from whence you came you pommie whingers, and make us all happy

9 hours ago, ukrules said:

Does anyone have the number of a private ambulance service which uses properly trained paramedics ?

Bumrungrad Hospital's is 02 011 5222. Try searching the hospital you fancy and can afford.

Is there any reason for any of Bangkok's hospitals to provide ambulance services with improperly trained personnel?

The EMS call out service, 1669, has trained paramedics.

9 minutes ago, stropper said:

when do you people stop knocking thailand, after my new hip popped out 100ks at my house in the jungle, while trying for a prohibited position after the recent op, in extreme pain, the paramedics did a fantastic job getting me to the local hospital, then the government hospital in udon , where they repositioned it  back in, i personally have had no problems in this country with anybody,with authority why do you pommie alcholic bar sitters constantly degrade every thing in thailand, go back from whence you came you pommie whingers, and make us all happy

I agree with you and you were doing well until you spoiled it by referring to "pommie whingers".  Must be great to know how perfect, and alcohol-free, bogans are.

I believe there is no such thing as paramedics in thailand....

there are a few schools for a 2-year EMT certificate...I forget how many in thailand but not many...usually they are affiliated with nursing schools....almost all of their graduates end up at hospitals working in their rigs or in their ERs....

an interesting question would be how many field/first responders are EMT trained? It sounds like the majority have 8 hours up to 24 hours but are NOT EMT trained...

think about it...life and death situations and the 1st people responding have 8-24 hours of training...that's it....

and the companies are complaining about extending it to 40 hours? 

Me thinks they Need to raise their standards...bigger question is if they actually do peer review cases and could they establish better performance standards?

pretty sure 1st responders are voluntary (not part of hospitals) and really not part of a county/province proper EMS system - hence that would cost a lot of money to implement, coordinate and operate...

Begs the question of how many people are dying out in the field or on the way to hospital given their current system of operation? Do they even study/evaluate/review the stats?

Edited by cardinalblue

13 hours ago, ukrules said:

Do you realise that it takes at least a year of full time training to become a paramedic ?

But it says 24 hours of training not a year. I mean how pathetic is thailands standards? So much so if in 6 months these clowns cant add 16 more hours training.

God i hope i never need that kind of help.

Hospitals are good here but getting there is the battle.

5 hours ago, stropper said:

Unfortunately many of these people forget that certainly in Australia and England before the introduction of paramedics the provision of emergency medical assistance was provided by Ambulance drivers/attendants whose role was to load you onto the stretcher and drive you to hospital

My wife when pregnant slipped and fell down down the steps at home, the local ambulance was called and she was treated as well as anything I have seen in Australia with the correct board being used to support her back.

They radioed ahead to the hospital with details of her condition and a doctor with an ultrasound was waiting on our arrival

While it’s unlikely I will ever become pregnant I would be happy with that treatment

5 hours ago, Just Weird said:

I agree with you and you were doing well until you spoiled it by referring to "pommie whingers".  Must be great to know how perfect, and alcohol-free, bogans are.

And a drop of “ hard stuff”might have eased the pain ?

I have witnessed multiple motorbike accidents where the "Rescue Workers" did arrive at the scene to assist the injured. I was actually shocked every time that not even the simplest and most common steps were followed. Absolutely madness!

I believe the only reason for these guys to do the job is to be able to race like maniacs through the street to be at the accident scene first to be able to "cash commission" once they bring the patient to the hospital.

Also the cars I saw were basically naked pickups and no medical equipment installed at all.

LONG WAY to go Thailand!

On 06/12/2017 at 4:43 AM, ukrules said:

Do you realise that it takes at least a year of full time training to become a paramedic ?

Incorrect. The full time course to become a qualified paramedic takes 4 years at a university.

When considering the numbers of fatalities on Thai roads one has to say that this MUST be a major factor.

It seems that it could be up to 40% are those who die 30 hours or later

It is well established that the sooner a road crash victim gets medical attention and into a hospital the bigger their chances of survival.

Just as an example in theUK - the top emergency time target is 8 minutes (YES!). ...and THAT MEANS A FULLY EQUIPPED AMBULANCE WITH TRAINED PARAMEDICS FROM A CENTRAL EMERGENCY SERVICE.

One has to be horrified when one sees how far Thailand is from achieving this situation.

Edited by Airbagwill