Thai Airways increases fuel surcharge on 59 routes

webfact

Thai Airways increases fuel surcharge on 59 routes

By Thai PBS

TSNBg3wSBdng7ijM58zhsHUo9A0DMO9EVlTcv2lI

Thai Airways International has announced the adjustment of fuel surcharges on an average 137-200% higher on 59 international routes. The increase is effective today.

The adjustment in fuel surcharges for the second time this year will see an increase in ticket price fin the range of US$ 5 -33 per leg of travel.

The national flag carrier did not give reason for the adjustment but continuing rises in jet fuel prices in the past were passed on partly to it’s passengers in the form of fuel surcharges.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/thai-airways-increases-fuel-surcharge-59-routes/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-12-06

Dunno why people are making so much noise. TG may not be the best airline out there but it sure beats the European airlines like BA or Lufhthansa. Let's not even bother to mention the American airlines. They may lag behind SIA or Cathay Pacific or EVA but then again those airlines are 5 star airlines. Anyway, an extra $30 on economy and $45 on business to Europe? Yeah that's gonna break our bank!

34 minutes ago, TVGerry said:

Dunno why people are making so much noise. TG may not be the best airline out there but it sure beats the European airlines like BA or Lufhthansa. Let's not even bother to mention the American airlines. They may lag behind SIA or Cathay Pacific or EVA but then again those airlines are 5 star airlines. Anyway, an extra $30 on economy and $45 on business to Europe? Yeah that's gonna break our bank!

They have got to be competitive though. I used to fly with them regularly (maybe 12 business class trips a year from BKK) and I did that because they were reasonably priced compared to SIA on the same route, which I had been flying regularly for the previous 2 years in the same class. So though they didn't offer the same level of quality as SIA they had a market price that reflected this, which I found to be a reasonable trade -off. Now they are regularly more expensive that Qantas, Emirates and SIA and offer much lower product value. I actually enjoy the TG experience and like flying with them but its hard to justify a pokey Bus Class seat and poor lounge experience on a sector that costs more than SIA or Emirates experience (I can't stand Qantas).

2 hours ago, TVGerry said:

I most certainly have nothing against Thai Airways, I do fly TG quite often. However, to say that they beat Lufthansa, is going too far. I have been flying Lufthnsa on long routes quite often in either Business or First class, and I really cannot complain on either. Their service, is absolutely excellent.

2 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

They have got to be competitive though. I used to fly with them regularly (maybe 12 business class trips a year from BKK) and I did that because they were reasonably priced compared to SIA on the same route, which I had been flying regularly for the previous 2 years in the same class. So though they didn't offer the same level of quality as SIA they had a market price that reflected this, which I found to be a reasonable trade -off. Now they are regularly more expensive that Qantas, Emirates and SIA and offer much lower product value. I actually enjoy the TG experience and like flying with them but its hard to justify a pokey Bus Class seat and poor lounge experience on a sector that costs more than SIA or Emirates experience (I can't stand Qantas).

The only good thing about them are the direct flights from Auss 

You have to laugh that they reserve the back rows or all the ones on the side at the back where the curtain is 

Quantas would be my last choice as they treat you like their country does 

Singapores great but the lay overs are a head ache

Ps : not much choice from Perth as you would have to back track to one of the eastern side capitals

Edited by BEVUP

3 hours ago, TVGerry said:

Haven't flown SIA for some years since the food in their business class poisoned me.

Cathay Pacific used to be 5 star, not any more IMO. EVA never have been and never will.

4 hours ago, HenryPattaya said:

They are already the most expensive airline 

From Perth to Bangkok they are the best and cheapest with a direct flight of less than 7 hours.  On a 787 too. Always a good service. Probably one of the few good routes.

10 hours ago, abrahamzvi said:

I most certainly have nothing against Thai Airways, I do fly TG quite often. However, to say that they beat Lufthansa, is going too far. I have been flying Lufthnsa on long routes quite often in either Business or First class, and I really cannot complain on either. Their service, is absolutely excellent.

All the airlines you mentioned are good The only one i am scared to fly with is Air Asia Never never again will i fly with them Even my wife who is Thai says she is to scared to fly with them

1 hour ago, bbbbooboo said:

hmmmm......they might price themselves out of the market.... they are already the most expensive

"Might"?  Already have.  At least from the US west coast.   Flew the direct route to BKK when they had it, but definitely NOT because it was price-competitive.  But since they did away with that, I've not even been tempted.

Fuel surcharge??  Pffft.   What's the price of oil these days, some $60/bbl?  Pure greed.

11 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Haven't flown SIA for some years since the food in their business class poisoned me.

Cathay Pacific used to be 5 star, not any more IMO. EVA never have been and never will.

So who are your favorite airline ? 

I recently flew with TG from London to Bangkok in economy . The airbus 380 looked tired and ready for a refit plus the leg room was at the basic minimum . On line check in a waste of time as terminal 2 have you join a zig zag queue and you have to use computer screen to print your boarding card which confused many although assistance was at hand . Business class are not subjected to this as they have their own facility . For me it is Eva who set the bench mark for non stop UK/BKK but their arrival time in BK ( 1500 hrs ) is not good for me for onward travel and means I have to stay a night in Nana town 

18 hours ago, TVGerry said:

Defending airline policies?

They, in general, seem to be quite a slightly criminal bunch.

Raising fuel surcharges seems to be rather strange with oil prices dropping.

But, it might be the number of passengers is falling, in the Thai way the answer would be to raise prices.

Anyway, it might not break your bank (????), but it might be a bad thing for others.

Edited by hansnl

Royal Brunei is super expensive and they had never eliminated or reduced Their so called fuel surcharge since oil prices came down from $130/b to near $20/b.A he'll of a big scam by the airlines despite announcement by the also so called IATA that most airlines will reduce fuel surcharges early 2017 which we had never seen.

I challenge certain airlines to show detailed information about this fuel surcharge per historic periods,ie over the past 5 years.?

Royal Brunei is basic business class and you have to bring your own plonk. The stopover in country  (MEL to BKK) is long and there is nowhere you can smoke. Sharia law makes it a bit unpleasant for non-wowsers.  Prices are keen, on the other hand.

They still have a good number of”stored planes” including 9 A 340 planes which have been sitting around for years. Anyone interested should check airfleets.net for the complete list. I think they are afraid to take losses on the sale of these planes as it would make their results even worse.

3 hours ago, hansnl said:

But, it might be the number of passengers is falling, in the Thai way the answer would be to raise prices.

Anyway, it might not break your bank (????), but it might be a bad thing for others.

Agree 

Cancelled a flight recently got $50 back from a $450 ticket, it's not as though they needed the fuel excise for an empty seat weighing 0 kg

Some genius in management forgot to lock-in their fuel-costs, when planning the coming season's flying & prices, or just an opportunistic top-up to profits  ...  could be either IMO. :wink:

Won't affect me as I don't use them  ...  vote with your feet ! :smile:

On 12/7/2017 at 10:37 AM, hansnl said:

It depends on how well any airline hedges on their fuel purchases. Qantas famously weathered the sh!t-storm that broke out after the 2007-08 crash when most other carriers airfares jumped around fuel price volatility, all because Qantas had already locked in to a fuel deal that saw them safely through 2012.

Yes, fuel prices have dropped but are you getting a commensurate reduction at the gas pump? Is anyone? Anywhere?

Anyway, THAI have jumped 5 places to end up 8th in the Telegraph Travel's 2017 awards for best Long Haul carrier.

"Telegraph is a UK-based travel website with 27 million viewers worldwide, and is the 10th most visited website in the world."

You can check how your favorites did here.

Edited by NanLaew