can i manage the mail server without access to hosting?

skraach

i have had a new website designed by a thai company and they are hosting the site on their server, including the mail server. can i setup and use a different mail server without contacting the site host or do i need to ask the site host to change the A record and MX record for me? i have full access to the domain through the domain name registrar.

You will need access to your DNS records, the MX record will allow you to setup another mail server.
If you are looking to use a service like Google, they have all the info you need on how to change records.

I guess you don't have much control over the hosting service.

I guess it all depends on where the DNS records are, it could be they are done from the registrar, or it could be all traffic is forwarded to a DNS service and its done there, or it could be done from within the web hosting Cpanel.

All you need to do is to find the MX record and change the IP address to your new mail server you want to setup, you do not need to change the A record as this will change the whole website address not mail server.

You can use any email vendor or provider you like without tying it to your domain name. But if you want email accounts associated with your domain (name@yourdomain) then, as maxpower wrote, you'll need another mail server and then point your DNS records to that service.