NACC set to investigate Prawit as lavish watch criticised on social media

webfact

NACC set to investigate Prawit as lavish watch criticised on social media

By THE NATION

5f8c365e28095aa96152e25d7a618b54.jpeg

THE National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) plans to launch an investigation into Deputy Prime Minister and Defence Minister General Prawit Wongsuwan’s possession of what appears to be an extravagantly luxurious watch, which has not been declared in his assets.

NACC acting secretary-general Worawit Sukboon yesterday said the anti-graft body would start the investigation immediately as it was an issue of public interest.

The NACC, which was appointed by the junta’s handpicked legislators, last year cleared suspects over procurement irregularities after a scandal involving the military-run Rajabhakti Royal Park.

Political activist Srisuwan Janya said he also planned to file a petition with the NACC today regarding Prawit’s watch, which appeared to be a Richard Mille, which would have cost between Bt4 million and Bt10 million, and was not included in his asset declarations in 2014.

Depending on the results of the investigation, Prawit could be found to have wrongfully concealed assets – and also for possessing irregular wealth, as the 72-year-old retired general has at least Bt87 million in assets despite working only for the military and being unaffiliated with any businesses, Srisuwan said.

4f17ee2ece760ce159ac318855bf4dda.jpg

Prawit came under fire after a photograph of him shading his eyes from the sun went viral on Monday, with social media users drawing attention to his diamond ring and watch. 

The junta’s number-two leader yesterday said he would clarify issues related to his possession of the watch to the NACC directly. “It’s no use explaining to the media. I will just take one shot with the NACC,” he said.

Politicians in Thailand and abroad have fallen into trouble before after being shown wearing expensive timepieces.

In 2013, then-prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra was criticised for owning a Bt2.5-million watch that was not declared to the NACC. During the investigation, Yingluck said she had sold the watch before entering the political arena – and used the money to buy diamonds. The investigation remains incomplete.

c5f204c60945f37273786aa3a10d0569.jpg

Ex-PM Yingluck Shinawatra

A year later, Indonesia’s then-military commander, General Moeldoko, was also spotted wearing high-end watches, including what looked like a Richard Mille RM 011 Felipe Massa Flyback “Black Kite”, which would have cost more than Bt3 million.

Moeldoko attempted to dispute the criticism by throwing the watch on the floor in front of journalists and saying: “Do you think this is an original?” 

77ccd28e92e829de659a24baeea45551.jpg

Setya Novanto(AFP photo)

Last month, Indonesia’s speaker of parliament Setya Novanto, who has been embroiled in several corruption scandals, was also alleged to have owned a Richard Millle watch that would have cost more than Bt4 million.

In Russia, President Vladimir Putin’s spokesman, Dmitry Peskov, was seen wearing a Bt17-million Richard Mille RM 52-014 timepiece during his wedding ceremony in 2015. The watch was worth about four times his annual income. Peskov insisted that the watch was merely a present from his wife.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30333363

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-12-07

57 minutes ago, swissie said:

Never mind all those watches.
How much property the "Rulers" in third world countries have been able to accumulate since they took office (among other things.)
Emphasis: Among other things!
Cheers.

Yes, I wonder where they all have bank accounts.

“It’s no use explaining to the media. I will just take one shot with the NACC,” he said.

Normally, when there’s a simple reason to explain something there and then, you explain it. The media report news which is watched by ‘the people’.

Oh well, up to the NACC to think of an excuse for him now. Thanks, Prawit. 

Options:

It is a copy - ironic self deprication.

It was a gift from a secret admirer - I don't know who, she/he was secret. Smiles and shrugs shyly.

I was trying it out, it didn't suit me and it is back with the retailer. Who? Ah, commercial confidentiality, sorry.

And the toothless tiger will purr, and lie on it's back to have it's tummy rubbed...

Sent from my KENNY using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, swissie said:

How much property the "Rulers" in third world countries have been able to accumulate since they took office (among other things.)
Cheers.

I imagine  full disclosure would shock even the most cynical.  Their pets are probably worth more than most Thais...

2 hours ago, webfact said:

NACC acting secretary-general Worawit Sukboon yesterday said the anti-graft body would start the investigation immediately as it was an issue of public interest.

Er... Ahem... Oh... Er... There are several other cases that I think are "an issue of public interest".

Can I suggest a few for expedited investigation? The current assets of the NCPO members for example?

I await the NACC's rapid response to this issue of public interest.

1 hour ago, swissie said:

Cheers.

Yep it's not about watches it is really about the blatant theft of public money.

It's all about them 

Maybe it's time to "discover" a few more weapons caches, and move this pesky story off the front pages?

When former PM/Gen. Chavalit Yongchaiyudh's wife was photographed at a gala wearing jewelry of dubious origins, that was easily covered over with multiple stories and excuses.

All these "Eastern Tigers" (Burupha Payak) are rumored to have made quite the "investments" in Cambodian gems over the years. One assumes those would not be part of any asset declarations?

5 hours ago, isaanbanhou said:

Yes, I wonder where they all have bank accounts.

Who?

Politicians?

Don't know where you hail from, but I bet your politicos also have some shady things to hide.

People go into politics for power, money or both.

But, they are in very good company.

The very rich, companies and private persons pay no taxes on most of their possessions, while the not so rich pay through the nose .

3 minutes ago, hansnl said:

Who?

Politicians?

Don't know where you hail from, but I bet your politicos also have some shady things to hide.

The very rich, companies and private persons pay no taxes on most of their possessions, while the not so rich pay through the nose .

sorry, I didn "t mark it sarcastic.  I was responding to swissie  (from  switzerland )  and  the joke (obviously not very funny) was "where do they keep their money?" and the answer of course would be Switzerland.  :smile:

Who?
Politicians?

No. The military. But thank you for your off topic rant.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

13 minutes ago, hansnl said:

Who?

Politicians?

Off topic but worthy of a reply. Sneaky politicians especially those not aligned to the military are pursued and investigated. Oh, the military blatant alleged corruptions are rarely investigated by their crony agencies.

35 minutes ago, hansnl said:

Who?

Politicians?

"People go into politics for power, money or both."

You lose credibility right there, friend. You need to understand the nature of people rather better than to say something like this.

Politicians of all stripes hunger for power and influence. One of the ways of achieving this is grabbing lots of money - just ask Rupert Murdoch, the hungry man's hungry man. But this is not exclusive, there are honest politicians, though to me, they seem few and far between.

Power and money are two sides of the same coin, not separate objectives. Also you should have added patronage, the third leg of the devil's footstool.

Edited by Sid Celery

4 hours ago, hansnl said:

Who?

Politicians?

Desperate times when you resort to ‘whataboutism’. 

Children are usually taught from an early age not to do it, because It’s an attempt to devalue and discredit the problem at hand. 

35 minutes ago, sjaak327 said:

Does anyone really believe this investigation is going to lead to his resignation ? It will most likely be swept under the rug, unless Prawit pissed off Prayuth for whatever reason. 

Smoke and mirrors, nothing else.

Both have skeletons in their closets and have to hang on to each other to keep secrets. That's the price Prayut pay for being corrupted himself. No moral high ground. 

11 hours ago, isaanbanhou said:

sorry, I didn "t mark it sarcastic.  I was responding to swissie  (from  switzerland )  and  the joke (obviously not very funny) was "where do they keep their money?" and the answer of course would be Switzerland.  :smile:

Swiss Bank Secrecy laws do not apply to foreighners anymore, only Swiss citizens. Has been like this for quite some time.

As a foreighner I would not want to hide any money in a Swiss Bank these days.
Cheers.