Aussie couple's holiday from hell after motorbike crash in Phuket

webfact

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Just Weird said:

Doesn't matter how safely he drives if he's illegal!

Please explain your thought process.

Having a Thai pickup driver swerve into you causing a broken leg for example would be ok because he was legal?

I would prefer skilled riders/drivers on the the road far more than "legal" drivers.

With or without either a valid licence or accident insurance, tourists or newbies in this country should take extra caution when on a bike and if possible use it only for very very short distances or even better....just skip the bike rental bit....

The governance in nations abroad must also assume a responsability and make it a point to warn their citizens on the deadly road hazards in Thailand.

15 minutes ago, chrissables said:

Please explain your thought process.

You said, "Having no licence is illegal, but if because out of date does not make them unqualified to ride safely".

My thought process was that he had no valid licence so whether he was "qualified to ride safely" is irrelevant, he was illegal.

2 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

You said, "Having no licence is illegal, but if because out of date does not make them unqualified to ride safely".

My thought process was that he had no valid licence so whether he was "qualified to ride safely" is irrelevant, he was illegal.

I agree it's illegal, but no relevance to riding skills or lack of.

Section 42-2
In case there’s a treaty between the Thai government and a foreign government regarding mutual acceptance of driver’s license, an alien who doesn’t have an immigrant visa may drive a motor vehicle with a driver’s license issued by such a foreign government, or an automobile association authorized by such a foreign government.

After 90 days (the most you can get on a tourist visa) or when you get an OA Visa, a Thai License is required.

Your quote from the Motor Vehicle Act doesn't say anything about 90 days or OA visas. Where do you have that information from?

58 minutes ago, nrasmussen said:

Your quote from the Motor Vehicle Act doesn't say anything about 90 days or OA visas. Where do you have that information from?

42-2 says, "An alien who doesn't have an immigrant visa" home license is ok , Not sure of the actual clause that says "after you get a visa for long stay then thai license required". The act says something like "once you reside in Thailand (long stay visa) Thai license required". I think the 90 days comes from, that is the max stay on a tourist visa etc, after that you would leave or get an imm visa.

Lots of information and links to the Act, on this site

http://driving-in-thailand.com/type-of-driving-licence-required/

Edited by Peterw42

42-2 says, "An alien who doesn't have an immigrant visa" home license is ok , Not sure of the actual clause that says "after you get a visa for long stay then thai license required". I think the 90 days comes from that is the max stay on a tourist visa etc

Lots of information and links to the Act, on this site
  http://driving-in-thailand.com/type-of-driving-licence-required/

Thank you, but since the OA visa is a non-immigrant visa, then according to 42-2 a Thai license is not required. Sorry, but I'm confused.

3 minutes ago, nrasmussen said:

Thank you, but since the OA visa is a non-immigrant visa, then according to 42-2 a Thai license is not required. Sorry, but I'm confused.

I think thats just poor wording as there is no such thing as an "immigrant" visa, its reference to a non O visa. different names for the same thing.

The site I quoted says the following.

"People who are residents in Thailand (on a non-immigrant visa) are required to obtain a Thai driving license in order to legally drive a car or a motorbike."

Its the same all over the world, signatories to the motoring treaties accept each others licenses, until a time limit or take up longer stay. If its not specifically defined in the act, its defined in the treaties, You cant drive indefinitely on a home license.