Immigration in Bangkok any new rules or regulations for Non-O Visas which is making the processing of extensions slower

I have a question about Immigration in Bangkok are there any new rules or regulations for Non-O Visas that is making the processing of extensions slower?  Has immigration in Bangkok added any new rules or regulations regarding the processing extensions for all types of non-o visas?  Is it really taking Bangkok immigration longer to process extensions?  If so why?  

• Like 1

My last retirement extension a few months ago at Bangkok immigration  took about 2 hours including the queue waiting time...if a person could subtract the queue waiting time and be like #1 in the queue then total time in front of an immigration officer(s) was around 15-20 minutes.   Basically the same as previous 8 years or so time I have done my annual retirement extension of stay at Bangkok immigration.  Same-same forms req'd.   Easy and fast...your results may vary. 

• Like 1

Bangkok did start a new procedure about 18 months ago which requires the top official to sign off on all extensions of stay so the time has increased a bit as the reviewing officer now has to send it onward for that signature rather than being the final say and the passport has to be passed back after signed in another office. 

For me I've experienced a second immigration officer signing off/checking the docs for at least 3 or 4 years.  After the first immigration officer did the great bulk of the processing you were then directed over to another immigration officer with your paperwork for a second round of quick checks/initialling off of documents and the stamp.  Once that second immigration signed off on everything you were given back your passport with the completed stamp good for another year...you are done...out the door you go. 

But for the last two years after the first immigration did the great bulk of the processing you were told to go set in the waiting area while the second immigration officer did their checks/initialling.  Around 10 minutes later your passport with completed stamp is brought to you in the waiting area...you are done...out the door you go.

Edited by Pib
  • Like 2

That second immigration is officer rank and used to be the approving signer but now sends it onward for a higher signature after they review the NCO's paperwork and approve it.  I did have to appear before officer for review as in past before being sent outside to wait. This year indeed it only took about 20 minutes wait outside but last year was told top officer was in meeting and to come back late afternoon and wait to be called.

For the past 10 years or so, processing my visa usually took about 2, or occasionally 3 hours.  My last renewal, in August, took over 5 hours. 

Everyone with a marriage extension was being directed to one desk which was delayed for a couple of hours by a woman with a Thai husband and 1/2 Thai teenage daughter who was being rejected for some reason!  :shock1:

14 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Bangkok did start a new procedure about 18 months ago which requires the top official to sign off on all extensions of stay so the time has increased a bit as the reviewing officer now has to send it onward for that signature rather than being the final say and the passport has to be passed back after signed in another office. 

I got my retirement extension last December. It took about an hour, hour and a half total from from when I arrived until I left with my extension.

Place was OVERCROWDED & UNDERSTAFFED last week. Got cue number at 0930, then 5 hour wait time for my number to finally be called. This includes the place shutting doors from 1200-1300 for lunch. Fairly quick once in the cubicle...long as all forms are properly filled and ridiculous copies made of every page of passport with a Thai stamp. Perhaps busier in high season than low, so expect a LONG cue and wait. 

Edited by Skeptic7

3 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

Place was OVERCROWDED & UNDERSTAFFED last week. Got cue number at 0930, then 5 hour wait time for my number to finally be called. This includes the place shutting doors from 1200-1300 for lunch. Fairly quick once in the cubicle...long as all forms are properly filled and ridiculous copies made of every page of passport with a Thai stamp. Perhaps busier in high season than low, so expect a LONG cue and wait. 

Not getting a queue number till 9:30am was the mistake.    That all too often ensures you are not getting out of there until sometimes after immigration's one hour lunch break.

My process is to get my queue ticket around 8:45am because I arrive Bangkok immigration a little before 8:30am/they open.  Instead of standing in the mile long line waiting for immigration doors to open I go down to my bank on the ground floor which also opens at 8:30am to get my bank letter for the 800K baht in the bank income verification.   I go into the bank branch at 8:30am, start the process to get the letter as it takes them approx 30 minutes to complete the letter.  While waiting for the letter at around 8:40am I go back up to immigration as the line is now cleared/almost cleared, get my queue number, and then walk back down to the bank branch to get my letter.  Around 9am I have that letter in hand and I know go back up to immigration to wait for my queue number to be called.  It's usually called in less than an hour and about 30 minutes after that I'm done...out the door. 

It's just a sequence/process that works well for me in not needing to show up at O-dark-early just to stand in a long line waiting for the immigration doors to open just to get a queue ticket.....allows me to get my bank letter same day....just minimizes my overall time to complete the whole annual extension of retirement.

• Thanks 1

On December 8, 2017 at 7:38 PM, lopburi3 said:

Ok actually I think that answers what it was that I was wondering about.