Dash cam purchase and installation

JaiLai

The search function truly is your friend. But since we got off on the wrong foot, it would be good to know if you have any ideas of what type of camera you want and what it is being installed in. For example, there's cheap as chips plastic ones with a windshield sucker and a cig lighter plug that seems to fit the needs of most itinerant boy racers and pickup trucks; specials from 800 baht to maybe around 1400 baht. Then there are the twin camera types with GPS , shock sensor and special power hookups for the likes of SUV's and people who worry too much about hitting things and getting stitched up by the BiB. These can range from 2000 baht for an adequate dashcam to really silly money for an imported bells-and-whistles type.

Previous posters have bought the camera they want in Tukcom or online at lazada and just picked any decent looking shop on Sukhumvit to install it.

Some sellers will have the contact details of an installer and you chose where and when to get it done.

Some buyers have discovered that it's a piece of p!ss and DIY.

Some have bought the camera at a shop and had the installation done as an 'all-in' deal but once again, the price depends on what camera you want.

The search function truly is your friend. But since we got off on the wrong foot, it would be good to know if you have any ideas of what type of camera you want and what it is being installed in. For example, there's cheap as chips plastic ones with a windshield sucker and a cig lighter plug that seems to fit the needs of most itinerant boy racers and pickup trucks; specials from 800 baht to maybe around 1400 baht. Then there are the twin camera types with GPS , shock sensor and special power hookups for the likes of SUV's and people who worry too much about hitting things and getting stitched up by the BiB. These can range from 2000 baht for an adequate dashcam to really silly money for an imported bells-and-whistles type.

Previous posters have bought the camera they want in Tukcom or online at lazada and just picked any decent looking shop on Sukhumvit to install it.

Some sellers will have the contact details of an installer and you chose where and when to get it done.

Some buyers have discovered that it's a piece of p!ss and DIY.

Some have bought the camera at a shop and had the installation done as an 'all-in' deal but once again, the price depends on what camera you want.

Thank you for the info, that wasn’t so hard, was it?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

18 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Well, I was going to reply and help... but your previous reply doesn't exactly lend itself to a desire to provide a helpful response other than use the Search Function...

Why, because he said the truth about boysandsound ?

Anyway, to talk about your ridiculous overpriced dashcam from Korea, better not reply, yes.

OP should just buy a G1W from moretech lazada for 1200 thb and just plug it himself in the car power.

No useless help needed, perfect cheap camera, nothing better for the price, but anyway who is stupid enough to pay electronics more than few $$$ when knowing that it will sit under the sun and die after few years. Ah yes, maybe the same kind of people who buy 20000 or 30000 thb mobile phones...

Edited by bleble

38 minutes ago, Eff1n2ret said:

- or even a few months. Don't have an installation which prevents you from dismounting the camera when you have to park in the sun for more than a short period. 

That's for those that consider the 1200 baht camera being in the glovebox is more important than the 12,000 baht unattended, unwitnessed, post-parking lot fender bender repair.

Prices have come down and quality has arguably gone up as the dashcam market has matured. The two, ~2000 Baht, mid-range, plastic, bells-and-whistles, dual-lens types I bought previously lasted from 2012 to about 2015; less than 2 years each. The current ~2000 Baht, mid-range, metal-body, bells-but-no-whistles, dual-lens type I bought last summer seems to be holding up for now.

On 12/10/2017 at 8:50 AM, bleble said:
On 12/9/2017 at 2:17 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Well, I was going to reply and help... but your previous reply doesn't exactly lend itself to a desire to provide a helpful response other than use the Search Function...

Why, because he said the truth about boysandsound ?

You're jumping up the wrong tree... I've no idea about that place (which I assume is in Pattaya and I live in BKK). 

On 12/10/2017 at 8:50 AM, bleble said:

Anyway, to talk about your ridiculous overpriced dashcam from Korea, better not reply, yes.

OP should just buy a G1W from moretech lazada for 1200 thb and just plug it himself in the car power.

No useless help needed, perfect cheap camera, nothing better for the price, but anyway who is stupid enough to pay electronics more than few $$$ when knowing that it will sit under the sun and die after few years. Ah yes, maybe the same kind of people who buy 20000 or 30000 thb mobile phones...

Many have had good results from Cheap Lazada Dash-Cams, many have seen them fail quickly or not meet their quality requirements. 

When asking for recommendations people providing their unbiased opinions can offer value. 

On the other hand, a dislike of someones post because you feel their 'preferred product' is out of your price range singles you out as somewhat of a 'chip-on-the-shoulder' kind of guy, bleble... its a little weird that you'd hold a grudge against a recommendation I made months or perhaps even years ago and then babble on about phones !!!... very strange indeed... 

Back on Topic: OP - there are some very useful threads from members who simply offer nothing more than First hand experience of the Dash-Cams they have been using for the past number of years.

This is going to upset pleble - however, I for one highly recommend BlackVue dash-cams and have been using them on 4 different cars over the past number of years.

On 12/12/2017 at 7:13 PM, richard_smith237 said:

You're jumping up the wrong tree... I've no idea about that place (which I assume is in Pattaya and I live in BKK). 

Many have had good results from Cheap Lazada Dash-Cams, many have seen them fail quickly or not meet their quality requirements. 

When asking for recommendations people providing their unbiased opinions can offer value. 

On the other hand, a dislike of someones post because you feel their 'preferred product' is out of your price range singles you out as somewhat of a 'chip-on-the-shoulder' kind of guy, bleble... its a little weird that you'd hold a grudge against a recommendation I made months or perhaps even years ago and then babble on about phones !!!... very strange indeed... 

Back on Topic: OP - there are some very useful threads from members who simply offer nothing more than First hand experience of the Dash-Cams they have been using for the past number of years.

This is going to upset pleble - however, I for one highly recommend BlackVue dash-cams and have been using them on 4 different cars over the past number of years.

To be clear Lazada is just a selling platform for anybody to list their products, Lazada themselves do not sell dash cams, there are many good ones on there and just as many bad ones advertised on there.

I concur with your recommendation on BlackVue, at the higher end of the price range but very good for number plate recognition even in mediocre light. I think the BlackVue 650 is far superior to the later 750 though.

Can get the BlackVue 650 on Lazada as well, https://www.lazada.co.th/blackvue/  now under 11,000 baht.

By the way to the OP.....DIY installation is quite easy.

On 12/20/2017 at 3:48 PM, balo said:

Buy it from Lazada and save money.

I use lazada for items I can't get locally. I bought a Transcend 230 locally and the prices on lazada are the same or substantially higher. Savings zilch (don't believe those posted savings percentages).  Lazada unlike Amazon does not sell many of their items, you can buy stuff on lazada from some unknown yo-yo company. Buying locally is much simpler in resolving problems or warranty repairs. I use my cc which doubles the warranty.