Why you must visit Koh Chang in Thailand

Inspire

39 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

It’s clear that you know very little at all.

And that you know better than google...

Easy to know that Lanta is a shthole and that only people who life to look ridiculous can pretend that it's nice.

27 minutes ago, bleble said:

And that you know better than google...

Easy to know that Lanta is a shthole and that only people who life to look ridiculous can pretend that it's nice.

What I know better than a review is that I went there in January having also been to Ko chang,Phuket and Ko samui variously for about the past 20 years. I’m also a bsac qualified dive leader having dived Similans,Red Sea,great barrier reef, Mexico etc....What exactly is your experience/qualification  other than pig ignorance ?

9 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

What I know better than a review is that I went there in January having also been to Ko chang,Phuket and Ko samui variously for about the past 20 years. I’m also a bsac qualified dive leader having dived Similans,Red Sea,great barrier reef, Mexico etc....What exactly is your experience/qualification  other than pig ignorance ?

You certainly know better inside the sea than outside. I have no interest in the crap that you see under and this stupid activity, but having lived and visited all Thai islands for 20 years, I am sure that I know better than you what is a nice beach, especially when reading your ridiculous comments.

Still waiting for your photos of incredible Koh lanta beaches 555555+

5 minutes ago, bleble said:

You certainly know better inside the sea than outside. I have no interest in the crap that you see under and this stupid activity, but having lived and visited all Thai islands for 20 years, I am sure that I know better than you what is a nice beach, especially when reading your ridiculous comments.

Still waiting for your photos of incredible Koh lanta beaches 555555+

From someone who reckons under the sea is crap and stupid  and likes samui beaches, and basically limits his time to a bar stool in whichever island, that reveals the level of intellect we are dealing with. Try looking under the sea to get an idea of what is washing up on the beaches you view from a bar. But as you have shown ,depth of knowledge is not your strongpoint.

I found this thread after having already made reservations on Koh Chang and have just spent my first day here at Kai Bae Beach.  Can anybody recommend a beach where when I walk out into the water, it isn't completely rocky underfoot?  Somewhere that is sandy, similar to Kata or Naiharn on Phuket (the only other beaches I have been to in Thailand).  Thanks ?

3 hours ago, Airalee said:

I found this thread after having already made reservations on Koh Chang and have just spent my first day here at Kai Bae Beach.  Can anybody recommend a beach where when I walk out into the water, it isn't completely rocky underfoot?  Somewhere that is sandy, similar to Kata or Naiharn on Phuket (the only other beaches I have been to in Thailand).  Thanks ?

The beach at Klong  Prao resort was quite good in that respect. A few kilometers north of the town . Access it through the hotel grounds where the restaurant is quite reasonable too...and use their pool.

Thanks for the suggestions!  I think I'll check out White Sand Beach and Klong Prao.  Long Beach definitely looks nice and I like the seclusion,  but to be honest, there is no chance of my girlfriend being able to (responsibly) ride a motorbike all the way around the island so I'm gonna stick to the songteaw accessible areas. 

3 hours ago, Airalee said:

Forget it there, it's ugly everywhere, even if misters know all of this forum keep talking chit.

13 hours ago, bleble said:

Forget it there, it's ugly everywhere, even if misters know all of this forum keep talking chit.

The 'chit' is all between your ears. If you have troll ambitions you first need to learn to write properly and get your IQ into double figures. You’re out of your depth.

15 hours ago, bleble said:

I know we shouldn't feed the troll but no other members agree with you. You get that? You can stop now. Koh Chang has plenty of nice spots. 

@Airalee If you want a nice spot in Kai Bae try the beach at the southern end. You need to go through Kai Bea Beach Resort and follow the road till the end (free and open to the public till sunset) where the bungalows/huts are. Beautiful and nice views for sunset. Not sure about rockiness though. 

Ok...so here is my "fair and balanced" opinion.

I think I like Koh Chang more than Phuket.  I spent the late morning and early afternoon at Klong Prao beach, in front of the Flora I Talay resort.  A 10 minute (฿50 per person) Songteaw ride away from where I am staying at the AWA resort at Kae Bae beach.  As suggested, there were absolutely no rocks in the water so I was able to wade out without constantly looking at my feet.  

Althought the water is a touch cleaner (from what I remember) in Phuket, the water here in Koh Chang is by no means "dirty" and I haven't seen any trash strewn along the beach or floating in the water.  The beach was far less crowded than those I've been to in Phuket (Kata, Kata Noi, Nai Harn and Ya Nui) and I didn't see a single hawker trying to sell me anything (something that I found quite annoying when in Phuket).  There are also swings hanging from the trees along the beach.  A nice addition for sure.  A beachside Thai massage ran ฿250 (+tip)  I don't know the price in Phuket.

The food options might be a little better in Phuket but I have no complaints here on Koh Chang.  I don't drink alcohol so I cannot comment on the bars.  There don't seem to be as many beer (lady) bars, so if that's your thing, Phuket would probably be a better choice.

The locals seem to be more friendly overall (not as friendly as Chiang Mai but still noticeably more friendly than Phuket) and I don't sense the "criminal element" that I feel in Phuket.  The Songteaws are definitely not as expensive as Phuket where I feel that they are ridiculously overpriced.  The tourists seem to be more laid back and a little older also.  Less of a party scene.

Overall, I think it's like comparing a BMW to a Benz.  Both places are nice but I like the vibe more on Koh Chang.  Just my personal preference.  If wild nightlife is what you're after, I would recommend Phuket.  If you just want to "chill out" then Koh Chang.

I can't comment on the diving or snorkeling as I have only snorkelled once at Loh Moo Dee beach on Koh Phi Phi.  It was incredible!  If the only thing that is important to you is white sands and crystal clear turquoise water then I would suggest checking out the Mayan Riviera in Mexico (Akumal, Tulum and Isla Mujeres)

You summed it up pretty nicely. There is something for everyone. Nice beaches, nice nature (waterfalls and trails), friendly locals, little bar shacks, small to luxury restaurants, quiet to party areas and a few clusters with proper bargirls but overall it's much more relaxed. I agree with the criminal element in Phuket. I felt that 80% of people interacting with foreigners are out there to get you while on Koh Chang many people are just trying to make an honest living. Of course this is a very subjective opinion.

That bleble guy is gonna give me a Haha emoji again but who cares. Why won't he enlighten us what is so great about Samui? Has its perks but the locals are definitely more in 'tourist business' mode.

7 hours ago, Airalee said:

Ok...so here is my "fair and balanced" opinion.

I think I like Koh Chang more than Phuket.  I spent the late morning and early afternoon at Klong Prao beach, in front of the Flora I Talay resort.  A 10 minute (฿50 per person) Songteaw ride away from where I am staying at the AWA resort at Kae Bae beach.  As suggested, there were absolutely no rocks in the water so I was able to wade out without constantly looking at my feet.  

Althought the water is a touch cleaner (from what I remember) in Phuket, the water here in Koh Chang is by no means "dirty" and I haven't seen any trash strewn along the beach or floating in the water.  The beach was far less crowded than those I've been to in Phuket (Kata, Kata Noi, Nai Harn and Ya Nui) and I didn't see a single hawker trying to sell me anything (something that I found quite annoying when in Phuket).  There are also swings hanging from the trees along the beach.  A nice addition for sure.  A beachside Thai massage ran ฿250 (+tip)  I don't know the price in Phuket.

The food options might be a little better in Phuket but I have no complaints here on Koh Chang.  I don't drink alcohol so I cannot comment on the bars.  There don't seem to be as many beer (lady) bars, so if that's your thing, Phuket would probably be a better choice.

The locals seem to be more friendly overall (not as friendly as Chiang Mai but still noticeably more friendly than Phuket) and I don't sense the "criminal element" that I feel in Phuket.  The Songteaws are definitely not as expensive as Phuket where I feel that they are ridiculously overpriced.  The tourists seem to be more laid back and a little older also.  Less of a party scene.

Overall, I think it's like comparing a BMW to a Benz.  Both places are nice but I like the vibe more on Koh Chang.  Just my personal preference.  If wild nightlife is what you're after, I would recommend Phuket.  If you just want to "chill out" then Koh Chang.

I can't comment on the diving or snorkeling as I have only snorkelled once at Loh Moo Dee beach on Koh Phi Phi.  It was incredible!  If the only thing that is important to you is white sands and crystal clear turquoise water then I would suggest checking out the Mayan Riviera in Mexico (Akumal, Tulum and Isla Mujeres)

How can you compare anywhere to Phuket which is the worst beach of whole Thailand with the worst stupid tourist who go there because they know nothing and just follow advertising ?!

Of course Koh chang is better than Phuket ! Because anywhere is better than Phuket ! And Thai from Phuket are worst people I have ever met my whole life.

So yes, you are right, Koh chang is better than Phuket, but 90% other Thai islands and beaches are also better than Koh chang.

2 minutes ago, bleble said:

So yes, you are right, Koh chang is better than Phuket, but 90% other Thai islands and beaches are also better than Koh chang.

And sooner or later I hope to make it to those islands, but you certainly won't find me on the internet pounding my keyboard, foaming at the mouth while arguing with anonymous strangers regarding my opinions. ?

You still in Koh Chang? If you want a bit of an adventure go and visit the Wai Chek Beach mentioned earlier and swim in the (freshwater?) lagoon there. For me this is the best spot I ever been to in Thailand. Buy your supplies in the village before as there is no shops there. 

Archived