US couple arrested for taking naked selfies in Thailand have been released from jail

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, mogandave said:

No doubt you think yours do.

You are mistaken.  Have I tried to have anyone arrested for anything they've said to me?  I have even let several personal attacks and insults remain unreported so that everyone can plainly see the so-called debating skills some posters have here.

You are not required to respect anything I say.

Edited by attrayant

Thailand did exactly the right thing.  There are laws in Thailand and every other civilized country in the World including America against indecent exposure and doing this in a Temple/Church simply reinforces the fact that these 2 people show no respect for Thailand and its people and posting this on a public social media site- shows they have no respect for anyone.

Thailand will get great publicity out of this because most people in the World know the difference from right and wrong and public decency and morality.

These 2 ingrates got off easy- had the Thais decided to invoke the computer act- they would still be in jail facing a sentence of up to 7 years. Most decent human beings would have apologized publicly - accepted their good luck- and gone back to their own country and not allow their illegal actions to  even become more public then it is.

Edited by Thaidream

3 hours ago, impulse said:

You mean like the guys who bar fine women, which is also against the law, an affront to polite Thai culture, and much, much more invasive than hanging a moon.

The morality of prostitution is a different subject to the O.P.

I have never seen a person who bar fines a girl- walk out of the bar with his rear end showing or the bargirl showing off her private parts in public.  I have also never seen anyone with a bar girl go to a Temple and take a picture with their private parts showing.

While prostitution maybe illegal normally the prostitute and their 'date' conduct themselves with proper decorum.  What they do in private is their own business just the same as what gay people do in private is their own business.

The issue is not morality or whether anyone likes or dislikes another's lifestyle- the issue  is common decency and adherence to the proper decorum and sensitivities of people.

I don't want to see you grope your girlfriend in public or see her private parts and I don't want to see 2 travelling fools show off their butts in public and certainly not in a place of worship.

You can try and make all the excuses in the World for these 2 fools- but none of them will fly and most people will not accept them- they violated proper decency and decorum-period!!

I don't have the time to look at their Instagram account but if they have pics of themselves with with pants down in front of the Stonewall Bar/Inn in New York City then I would be easier on them.  When they go on the Ellen show they should also show that pic as well to show they disrespect old gay sights like they do old religious sites ( for fun of course) Somehow I think this won't happen. 

Edited by alex8912

Blimey. Thread #3 for the same guys. Don’t know about publicity at home but they are getting plenty on here. Another opportunity for the angry brigade to have an armchair vent and repeat some queer innuendo.
Bottom line is they got a weeks worth jail time should be enough for them never to want to come back. Completely OTT but if they are stupid enough to keep waving it in the Thais face then my sympathy for them is running out fast.
* waits for someone to pick up some more “puns”

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

2 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Which one?  Definitely the queers' bare a_rses. 

Unbelievable that the faux-puritanical Thaivisa censors the completely inoffensive word a_rse. 

You shot your credibility by your choice of words.

2 hours ago, Oziex1 said:

I think we have covered this stuff in many other thread,s i care little for the misguided beliefs of the devout of all religions and  feel great anger at the corruption of it in all faiths, generally so those at the top can literally get away with murder.

It should have been left in the dark ages where it belongs.

Then I don’t understand why you brought it up but in rebuttal it appears you fail to see any positives to the presence of religion in a believer’s life or society due to something about corruption.

You may be too young to understand yourself very well but I can tell you I have talked to many like you and you don’t deserve respect because your arrogant and elitist view of the worlds religions is incredibly disrespectful and those truly enlightened as you mistakenly consider yourself know first and foremost to show respect and compassion to fellow humans.

You are nothing special. 

5 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Some people just never learn. While I am happy to see them sent home, rather than sit in jail for ages for a relatively minor offense, you would have hoped they would have learnt something from the episode and had the decency to not repost the images. I hope they have the good sense to never return.

You may think it's reasonable that they take down the photos, but they were locked up for nearly 2 weeks and paid 10,000 in fines, so they feel they've paid their dues.

It may, however, hurt the next people in Thai court for similar offenses. They probably haven't given that much thought.

26 minutes ago, sanemax said:

The morality of prostitution is a different subject to the O.P.

I'm not judging the morality of anything.  Just amused at the way some folks like to see some laws enforced with vigor, and other laws, well, not so much.

I'd also contend that the tone of this thread would be completely different if the butts in question didn't belong to a gay couple.

"Prats showing cracks on the steps of a religious halls,

really need a swift kick in the balls"

Gay's may think it to be funny,

But, the rest of us don't wanna see ya bummy!

"Birds showing all, Asian not too tall,

are welcome to slide on a pole

till its deep in that special hole.

As its kept outta sight for one

not on show for everyone's fun!"

Edited by phetpeter
add a letter

Why should they get any sympathy at all. They got off easy. They violated not only local sensibilities but the law.  Had they done this in St Patrick's Cathedral in New York City and they were viewed by the police or a parishioner who made a complaint- they would have been arrested; charged with indecent exposure; possibly jailed and even placed on a sex offender list.

They got exactly what they deserved- they won't be back in Thailand as they may have been blacklisted.  I expect their 'excuse' will be-  we were only trying to have some fun and the Thai police made such an issue of it and kept us in a horrid jail. Their BS may play in San Diego but not here.

Guess what- it's not funny . It's disrespectful and shows that these 2 have absolutely no decorum or sensitivity towards other people; other countries and only think of themselves and their own aggrandizement. Stop trying  to make this a gay issue- had they been a man and woman and done something similar- they would have gotten the same condemnation.

40 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

Thailand did exactly the right thing.  There are laws in Thailand and every other civilized country in the World including America against indecent exposure and doing this in a Temple/Church simply reinforces the fact that these 2 people show no respect for Thailand and its people and posting this on a public social media site- shows they have no respect for anyone.

Thailand will get great publicity out of this because most people in the World know the difference from right and wrong and public decency and morality.

These 2 ingrates got off easy- had the Thais decided to invoke the computer act- they would still be in jail facing a sentence of up to 7 years. Most decent human beings would have apologized publicly - accepted their good luck- and gone back to their own country and not allow their illegal actions to  even become more public then it is.

Its true that they would have been arrested in the US for exposing themselves in public as they have a habit of doing.

The charges would have varied based on the jurisdiction.

The men were instead handed over to Immigration Police who are processing their deportation....

With their return to the United States imminent, the pair wasted no time in resurrecting their Travelling Butts Instagram account...

The account also still includes all the photos that landed the men in trouble in the first place.

dammmmmm!  still in thailand, and again showing those deplorable photos?

that's just asking for trouble.

idiots!

5 minutes ago, impulse said:

I'm not judging the morality of anything.  Just amused at the way some folks like to see some laws enforced with vigor, and other laws, well, not so much.

I'd also contend that the tone of this thread would be completely different if the butts in question didn't belong to a gay couple.

I considered that but two hetero guys would not be pulling this stunt and the hetero community would not be tuning in to watch where they dropped their britches next. Except possibly some freshman fraternity pledges that were 18 years old.

And their antics would possibly get them dropped from the fraternity and the university.

No...this stunt is uniquely gay.

It is the act and the lack of remorse which is the theme of the displeasure in the majority of posts here.

If they'd done this at a church in Scotland, their sex life would have been somewhat curtailed until they recovered from a size 12 boot in their <deleted>.  Whatever their orientation, this was unacceptable in a place of worship - believer or not, respect is due in these places.

1 minute ago, DefaultName said:

If they'd done this at a church in Scotland, their sex life would have been somewhat curtailed until they recovered from a size 12 boot in their <deleted>.  Whatever their orientation, this was unacceptable in a place of worship - believer or not, respect is due in these places.

I thought the rule in Christian churches was "turn the other cheek".

KInda disappointing that they don't seem to get it at all.  I'd bet 90% of the people seeing their blog in which they  moon Wat Arun, had no idea such a an amazing structure even existed let alone any of the meanings behind its symbolism. Their ass cheeks flash gesture seems to suggest: I respond to the skill, hard labor and artistry of the architects and builders of Wat Arun with ass and do so without even an iota of appreciation, I fart at wisdom and compassion, Buddah mind as represented by any stupa, without even a remote bit of curiosity about what any of that might mean. Brilliant. What a statement. Yeah!  Freedom of expression and speech!  Yeah man, knock yourselves out Butt-tour doods! You're  free to show the world you'd just as soon ignorantly flush their cultures, histories and achievements down your ass toilets without even having the slightest curiosity or one iota of knowledge about them in exchange for what...mobile device transfixed, transhumanist global mind control consumerist zombie-ism, and yeah man, like cheap thrills, fun world tours, and blogging and Instagram! That's where its at! We're so much better than you Thailand!

1 minute ago, ClutchClark said:

It is the act and the lack of remorse which is the theme of the displeasure in the majority of posts here.

When posters refer to the homos and the queers and the butt buddies, that's not about lack of remorse.  It's something else.

Thank God they didn't have the interweb when I was a kid.  We hung moons all over the place- often in groups of 2-50 people- sometimes mixed gender, and we occasionally streaked through inappropriate places.  But none of us carried a camera, and there was no place to post the photos if the polaroids came out clear enough to recognize the faces.  And, to my knowledge, only a tiny percentage of us were gay (and they didn't know it for sure at the time)

1 minute ago, Shaunduhpostman said:

KInda disappointing that they don't seem to get it at all.  I'd bet 90% of the people seeing their blog in which they  moon Wat Arun, had no idea such a an amazing structure even existed let alone any of the meanings behind its symbolism. Their ass cheeks flash gesture seems to suggest: I respond to the skill, hard labor and artistry of the architects and builders of Wat Arun with ass and do so without even an iota of appreciation, I fart at wisdom and compassion, Buddah mind as represented by any stupa, without even a remote bit of curiosity about what any of that might mean. Brilliant. What a statement. Yeah!  Freedom of expression and speech!  Yeah man, knock yourselves out Butt-tour doods! You're  free to show the world you'd just as soon ignorantly flush their cultures, histories and achievements down your ass toilets without even having the slightest curiosity or one iota of knowledge about them in exchange for what...mobile device transfixed, transhumanist global mind control consumerist zombie-ism, and yeah man, like cheap thrills, fun world tours, and blogging and Instagram! That's where its at! We're so much better than you Thailand!

I think you think too much. 

I don’t believe it was an  intentional middle finger to Thailand at the time but a silly prank that went wrong. 

What they are doing by continual to post on their account after the ruling could however be looked at that way. 

1 hour ago, attrayant said:

Because beliefs don't deserve respect.

You can respect a person's right to hold a belief, but the moment they start professing their silly beliefs they deserve to be ridiculed and mocked for them, if appropriate. Example: homophobia.

Do you honestly miss the complete irony of your post?

12 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

two hetero guys would not be pulling this stunt and the hetero community would not be tuning in to watch where they dropped their britches next. Except possibly some freshman fraternity pledges that were 18 years old.  And their antics would possibly get them dropped from the fraternity and the university.

Have a look at the annual 'Moon Amtrak' event, which has been going on for over 30 years and has nothing to do with being gay:

[O]n the second Saturday of July every year, thousands of people gather along the chain link fence that runs adjacent to the Amtrak train tracks outside of Mugs Away Saloon in Orange County, California, to show their butts to passersby. Reportedly, trains passing the “moon show” slow down between Irvine and San Juan Capistrano stations.  Planned a year in advance with an official website, the event draws people from all over the country and has turned into a festival of sorts. Throughout the day, bands perform in Mugs and groups pack picnics.

It has a web site and an official YouTube channel.

Edited by attrayant

3 minutes ago, impulse said:

When posters refer to the homos and the queers and the butt buddies, that's not about lack of remorse.  It's something else.

Thank God they didn't have the interweb when I was a kid.  We hung moons all over the place- often in groups of 2-50 people- sometimes mixed gender, and we occasionally streaked through inappropriate places.  But none of us carried a camera, and there was no place to post the photos if the polaroids came out clear enough to recognize the faces.  And, to my knowledge, only a tiny percentage of us were gay (and they didn't know it for sure at the time)

OK, you’re first paragraph is hard to argue against. I concede that one.

As for your second paragraph... the era of streaking back in the 70’s was something different from this. It was the moment itself which was being celebrated. It didn’t occur at places of worship. It often occured under the darkness of night. 

Streaking is an expression of freedom and not intended to be sexual.

It still cracks me up to this day to be watching a sporting event and have some guy cut loose as fast as he can across the field “naked as a jaybird” and his manhood flopping about. 

I really don’t see how streaking shares anything with these premeditated and staged events...except the obvious moon.

8 minutes ago, attrayant said:

Have a look at the annual 'Moon Amtrak' event, which has been going on for over 30 years and has nothing to do with being gay:

It has a web site and an official YouTube channel.

Can you honestly not understand the difference between the Moon Amtrak and what these guys are doing?

More excuses- any of the <deleted> in orange county do so in a church and then placing pics on social media.  In addition, mooning people and streaking have no bearing on what these fools did- dropping their trousers in one of Thailand's greatest temples-  

We were all young once and did silly things and sometime we paid a price for such behavior. Growing up- I was taught by parents and schools to always respect the traditions and sensibilities of others. It would never enter into my mind or any of my friends to ever enter a house of worship- especially in another country- and do what they did and then apparently have no remorse about it.

Thais will universally condemn what they did and it makes the rest of the expat community looked upon as suspect. And it appears the Thais may be right. Trying to excuse what these fools did- puts you in the same class as the perpetrators in the minds of Thai people.

11 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

Can you honestly not understand the difference between the Moon Amtrak and what these guys are doing?

If you have to put serious effort into trying to understand mooning, regardless of context, then you care about this subject way too much.