US couple arrested for taking naked selfies in Thailand have been released from jail

Jonathan Fairfield

7 minutes ago, sjaak327 said:
10 minutes ago, tropo said:

I must be one of those people without a sense of humour then. Even if this was allowed back at home, I see nothing funny about it. If I happened to be walking into this temple with my family at the time they were taking their butt selfies I would have been very angry. I most definitely would have said something (at the very least).

Apparently. I would not even be shocked, but then again, I hardly ever go to a temple. I am not religious. And I certainly don't like religious people screaming bloody murder and asking for lenghty jail sentences for what can only be described by reasonable people as a harmless prank.

Again, you want respect, this is not the way to achieve it. 

I don't think you thought it through. This has nothing to do with the temple location in particular, which just makes this "harmless prank" (your words) even more detestable.

Allow me to illustrate. Here's an example: You, your wife and kids and your mother are coming to church on Sunday. You walk in and see two gay guys exposing their butts.

You'd find that funny?

Even if you did, most normal people would not.

So let's make that your Thai family (Thai wife, kids and mother-in-law) going to the temple and you see these 2 guys taking butt selfies.

Still not perturbed?

You'd laugh? Even if you did find it funny, would you chastise the rest of your family for not having a sense of humour?

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am American and I can assure you that we come in all stripes; colors; and orientations. We believe in freedom but most of us believe in live and let live.  While some people may have the legal right to protest against certain groups or advocate certain beliefs that are discriminatory- the majority of us are not like that. In addition, most of us are not arrogant and believe in a diverse Nation and a Creator. 

These 2 people did something that was disrespectful; ignorant and they were arrogant in their belief they had the 'right' to do it. They just happened to be gay. They darn well know had they done this in America and the police saw them or someone complained they would face charges and possibly being listed as a sex offender for indecent exposure. To me, this is over the top- but I have heard it happen to people in some states who stop on a highway to urinate in public.

This topic has drawn many different opinions but unfortunately some of them have focused too much on the sexual orientation of the offenders rather than the act. We don't have to like each other but we should at least be treating each other with respect and refrain from using 'charged' words that are offensive.

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Actually there is. 

Just as there is something wrong with racism. 

But apparently not on this forum where haters are free to spout toxic bigotry night and day. 

No, there isn't.  It's just your opinion that there is something wrong with my reaction to gratuitous homosexuals as is your suggestion that what I say is toxic bigotry.

11 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

I am American and I can assure you that we come in all stripes; colors; and orientations. We believe in freedom but most of us believe in live and let live.  While some people may have the legal right to protest against certain groups or advocate certain beliefs that are discriminatory- the majority of us are not like that. In addition, most of us are not arrogant and believe in a diverse Nation and a Creator. 

These 2 people did something that was disrespectful; ignorant and they were arrogant in their belief they had the 'right' to do it. They just happened to be gay. They darn well know had they done this in America and the police saw them or someone complained they would face charges and possibly being listed as a sex offender for indecent exposure. To me, this is over the top- but I have heard it happen to people in some states who stop on a highway to urinate in public.

This topic has drawn many different opinions but unfortunately some of them have focused too much on the sexual orientation of the offenders rather than the act. We don't have to like each other but we should at least be treating each other with respect and refrain from using 'charged' words that are offensive.

I'm going to challenge your assertion that people would face "sex offender" charges for mooning in the USA (or if so, I think very rarely). Public urination, yes, that unfortunately happens, but have never heard of that happening for mooning.

Also they published pictures doing their butt stunt in front of the white house and other USA places. That's photographic evidence if authorities wanting to go after them for that as sex offenders. Hasn't happened. Mooning isn't sex. But neither is urination. 

As far as them or anyone doing photo butt stunts in the USA or anywhere else, I'd say AYOR, I don't know why people care much either way, most people in most settings would just have a laugh,  but if there are big signs saying dress modestly and religious offense issues with the setting, better get a clue.

Edited by Jingthing

I never meant to imply that 'mooning' would cause an arrest but these gentlemen were not mooning- they were dropping their pants and one could see their genitals if looking from the front. Normally, mooning is done very quickly and then he trousers are pulled back up. The difference is evident to me .

Typical mooning would normally not generate an arrest but I have heard of public urination drawing an arrest for indecent exposure and  a place on the sex registry list.  I agree that this would be over the top but unfortunately can be  applied.

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

You're probably right. It would make for an awkward conversation of what are you in for. They were likely at more risk for violence than average because of their unusual status, not only as gay but as married, and also the nature of their violation. So it's really good news that they're being released. 

Your speculation of how prisoners are treated by other prisoners is wildly inaccurate.  They would have no problems in Bangkok Remand Prison, which is where they would have been if they were not held in police cells.  Homosexuals and transsexuals are hardly unusual in there.

The nature of their convictions is not announced to the prison population, neither is their marital status and other prisoners have no other way of knowing.

So it's really a shame that they were released so soon.

I'm going to challenge your assertion that people would face "sex offender" charges for mooning in the USA (or if so, I think very rarely). Public urination, yes, that unfortunately happens, but have never heard of that happening for mooning.
Also they published pictures doing their butt stunt in front of the white house and other USA places. That's photographic evidence if authorities wanting to go after them for that as sex offenders. Hasn't happened. Mooning isn't sex. But neither is urination. 

As far as them or anyone doing photo butt stunts in the USA or anywhere else, I'd say AYOR, I don't know why people care much either way, most people in most settings would just have a laugh,  but if there are big signs saying dress modestly and religious offense issues with the setting, better get a clue.

What if it were a funeral?

1 minute ago, Just Weird said:

Your speculation of how prisoners are treated by other prisoners is wildly inaccurate.  They would have no problems in Bangkok Remand Prison, which is where they would have been if they were not held in police cells.  Homosexuals and transsexuals are hardly unusual in there.

The nature of their convictions is not announced to the prison population, neither is their marital status and other prisoners have no other way of knowing.

So it's really a shame that they were released so soon.

So you have a lot of personal experience in that prison?

If they had gotten a long sentence, you can be sure word of why would have spread. 

As far as homophobia, that has been much more severe from non-Thais about that, but don't push the myth that Thailand doesn't have it's own flavor of homophobia.

14 minutes ago, mogandave said:

What if it were a funeral?

I'd advise against that but not sure why anyone would do that, and doubt anyone with any mental competence would. 

In the U.S. there is the case of the rabidly anti-gay Westboro "Baptist" church doing inflammatory and disgusting protests at funerals which is constitutionally protected free speech, but I think they would probably have a legal problem if they did mooning at such times. 

Edited by Jingthing

4 minutes ago, mogandave said:

I don’t know why anyone would drop their pants and hang their pecker out at a temple but apparently they do.

Well, I don't support what they did of course but I think their reason to do such stunts is totally obvious. To get dramatic pictures for their instagram theme of Travelling Butts. Is that so hard to "understand" that as their reason? Again, not supporting it. Just describing it. 

To add, I suppose it is relevant if they've been displaying their genitals. They don't post pictures of that so not sure how anyone knows if they weren't at their photo shoots. For all I know they had covered them up somehow. But I don't know and I doubt you do either. 

Edited by Jingthing

Well, I don't support what they did of course but I think their reason to do such stunts is totally obvious. To get dramatic pictures for their instagram theme of Travelling Butts. Is that so hard to "understand" that as their reason? Again, not supporting it. Just describing it. 

I meant I don’t understand how someone could have so little self respect.

I don't think you thought it through. This has nothing to do with the temple location in particular, which just makes this "harmless prank" (your words) even more detestable.

Allow me to illustrate. Here's an example: You, your wife and kids and your mother are coming to church on Sunday. You walk in and see two gay guys exposing their butts.

You'd find that funny?

Even if you did, most normal people would not.

So let's make that your Thai family (Thai wife, kids and mother-in-law) going to the temple and you see these 2 guys taking butt selfies.

Still not perturbed?

You'd laugh? Even if you did find it funny, would you chastise the rest of your family for not having a sense of humour?
Oh please give it a rest, they did not go inside the temple...

Sent from my SM-J730GM using Tapatalk

Your opinion only.  End of.  Geez, do you think your saying that means there is no more to be said?
Not just opinion, forum rules (#10) seems to confirm it is wrong, too bad the moderators allow this crap to stay online...

Sent from my SM-J730GM using Tapatalk

To add, I suppose it is relevant if they've been displaying their genitals. They don't post pictures of that so not sure how anyone knows if they weren't at their photo shoots. For all I know they had covered them up somehow. But I don't know and I doubt you do either. 

Looking at the photos their pants a clearly down far enough that their dicks were hanging out, but you’re right, I don’t KNOW, I only know what it looks like.

Looks like two weeks in jail and all the attentio made the trip for them...

10 minutes ago, mogandave said:

I don’t understand how someone could have so little self respect.

I remember when I was a wee sprout people were saying the same thing about Madonna.  Then it was Lady Gaga.  We see their attention-grabbing performances as lacking self respect, but they seem to be doing just fine.

I remember when I was a wee sprout people were saying the same thing about Madonna.  Then it was Lady Gaga.  We see their attention-grabbing performances as lacking self respect, but they seem to be doing just fine.

Yeah, lots of people make lots of money, doing all manner of nonsense.

Donald Trump is doing okay, he one of your heroes?

10 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Oh, I’m sorry, I thought you said the did not go in the temple. What was it you said again?

I said that they did not go inside the temple with their pants down. Now does any of the two photos somehow contradict that statement ?

Give it a rest please, you are nagging. 

I said that they did not go inside the temple with their pants down. Now does any of the two photos somehow contradict that statement ?

Give it a rest please, you are nagging. 

While that could well have been what you meant, it is clearly not what you said.

Also, previously you said that photos supported your statement, now you are say they don’t contradict your statement.

I don’t mean to nag, I just want to be clear. So to be clear, you have no idea if they went in the temple, and the photos do not really support your statement, correct?

44 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Looking at the photos their pants a clearly down far enough that their dicks were hanging out, but you’re right, I don’t KNOW, I only know what it looks like.

Looks like two weeks in jail and all the attentio made the trip for them...

I'm surprised the question about frontal exposure hasn't been discussed before. But thinking about this and how they had made doing such "Butt Tourism" photos a big hobby for them, I'm going to go out on an appendage :sorry:and presume there is a good chance they were sporting some kind of front covering. Such garments are easily purchased and would only show a very thin string in the back and a jock cup in front. Heck even just a cup of some kind without any back string (which would interfere with total bare butt effect of the theme) could probably be held up without such support at least for a few seconds. Nope, I haven't tried it. But inquiring minds demand to know!

Edited by Jingthing

6 minutes ago, mogandave said:

While that could well have been what you meant, it is clearly not what you said.

Also, previously you said that photos supported your statement, now you are say they don’t contradict your statement.

I don’t mean to nag, I just want to be clear. So to be clear, you have no idea if they went in the temple, and the photos do not really support your statement, correct?

I am sure you don't mean to nag, but you certainly are. If you would have read my comment in the context in which it was made, this exchange would not have been necessary. Again, there is no evidence that they showed their naked butts inside the temple. And both photos quite clearly support that statement. Now if you have additional photos in which they did show their butt inside the temple, by all means post it.