Queen Victoria (Soi 23) no more

SooKee

Bit of a shock this morning. Turned up at the QV for a breakfast only to find it's shut down and currently under renovation as a Scruffy Murphy's, complete with a sparkling new bright orange frontage.

Not open yet so not yet sure whether the interior will have changed much or how it will compare to, what for me are the often rather boring western style bars here, or whether it'll still be doing breakfasts and the like. Hopefully the staff will be a more cheery bunch!

Sent using Tapatalk

Not sure it's the same owner still or whether he sold up and moved on. Also not clear how much is changed inside but there was a fair amount of furniture stacked up on the old patio. Guessing the plan might be too get open for Xmas.

Just came across a Facebook Page for it so I guess news will pop up there: https://m.facebook.com/ScruffyMurphysBangkok/

Sent using Tapatalk

I have no idea why anyone would come to Bangkok to visit Irish or British styled  Pubs serving overpriced  Irish or English beer.  Save the airfare.

Bangkok used to be a great place for nightlife even out on the streets with the portable bar set ups. The powers to be have ruined all types of typical Thai nightlife and turned the city into an overpriced shopping mall and a version New York and London which I have no desire to ever see again. Pattaya is headed in the same direction and the tourists and expats are headed in another direction and its not in Thailand.

17 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

I have no idea why anyone would come to Bangkok to visit Irish or British styled  Pubs serving overpriced  Irish or English beer.  Save the airfare.

Bangkok used to be a great place for nightlife even out on the streets with the portable bar set ups. The powers to be have ruined all types of typical Thai nightlife and turned the city into an overpriced shopping mall and a version New York and London which I have no desire to ever see again. Pattaya is headed in the same direction and the tourists and expats are headed in another direction and its not in Thailand.

I guess because some folks live here, like to have some variety and because not everyone likes the same thing.

19 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

Then get out of the tourist ghettos and get back into Thailand. My city has literally hundreds of Thai bars with live music, good food and all the alcohol you can swirl; and you can bring your own bottle for a cheap night out.

I agree completely- outside of  Bangkok there are plenty of Thai style establishments where one can even bring your own bottle and sit, drink and eat .  Bangkok used to have plenty of these places to include the Thai cafes.  Now very hard to find in the city. In addition, the street vendors have been pushed away; the set up bars banished.  I have lived in Bangkok for almost 50 years but I am currently thinking about a move away from the madness- if I want to visit an Irish Pub- I'll go to Ireland. Everyone to their own.

8 minutes ago, smotherb said:

Then get out of the tourist ghettos and get back into Thailand. My city has literally hundreds of Thai bars with live music, good food and all the alcohol you can swirl; and you can bring your own bottle for a cheap night out.

"Good food" in a Thai bar would depend on your standards.

2 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

"Good food" in a Thai bar would depend on your standards.

Gee, really? The post to which I commented mentioned lack of Thai places. So, yes, good Thai bar food. No gummy pies, canned beans, more meal than meat sausages . . .

Lower Suk is pricey and changing; well everywhere does, I suppose. I suspect real estate prices have put rents up a lot and that is reflected in the charges. I remeber an episode of Ballykissangel from a long time ago (set in Ireland). The pub was a major centre of the show. It burnt down. I remember one of hte locals saying I hope they don't replace it with an Irish Pub. Loved it, and I agreed with him even then.

The fact is that Sukhumvit from Soi Nana up to Soi 55 (Thonglor) is experiencing huge increases and land prices and the land owners are attempting to pass on this increase to the bars/clubs and actually destroying the business because the bar owners cannot afford the increases. Thus, these bars which catered to the expat community are moving farther out or simply going out of business. I know several well know bars that have made their exit.

The side Sois on the odd numbered side of lower Sukhumvit are experiencing complete renewal- much o the detriment of entertainment that used to have a fun atmosphere and decent prices. Soi 7 is a prime example- old business driven out- empty worksites for years and to be replaced by some type of upscale endeavor to go along with the other hundreds already in the area.  Soi 19 is next with the Honey Hotel  being closed at years end and replaced by another so called upscale hotel and shopping area.

If that's what you want- then you should be happy but it's not what many of the tourists coming into the city want and I cannot see how all of these places will survive because of increased prices and a rising Baht.

3 hours ago, Thaidream said:

Sorry that your lawless utopia  got a dose of reality. . Thailand is growing up and the people are moving beyond the  stage of being playthings for farangs. 

Thailand is no utopia and I can assure 50 years ago when I first landed at Don Muang airport and came into the city I found it a much nicer place than it is today.  The air was clean; the people actually had real smiles and there was very little outright scamming of foreigners. I and the few other foreigners who were around hardly thought of Thai people as you are describing and I find offense with your statement . As a Thai speaker, I have never ever had an issue with Thai's but plenty of issues with arrogant foreigners who lack the ability to understand anything Thai.

If you think Thailand is 'growing up'  you might want to look around at who owns the land and who is buying it and for what purpose. Great cities survive on great innovation and planning that makes for a diverse base for living and entertainment. This is not what is happening in Thailand and certainly not Bangkok.

You might want to think about what you are saying before you place everyone in your own preconceived mindset.

3 hours ago, Thaidream said:

I agree completely- outside of  Bangkok there are plenty of Thai style establishments where one can even bring your own bottle and sit, drink and eat .  Bangkok used to have plenty of these places to include the Thai cafes.  Now very hard to find in the city. In addition, the street vendors have been pushed away; the set up bars banished.  I have lived in Bangkok for almost 50 years but I am currently thinking about a move away from the madness- if I want to visit an Irish Pub- I'll go to Ireland. Everyone to their own.

There are still street side bars in Bangkok.

In Bangkok there are more Thai establishments than you'll ever be able to go to.   Don't need to leave Bangkok to find places like that.

8 hours ago, Thaidream said:

Mate, you don't have to go there do you?

It's not necessarily for tourists is it?

Lots of expats - especially those who've been here a while - like a full English or Guinness in surroundings that may remind them of home from time to time.

The city has not been ruined - it's not in Bangkok's interests to chase the "poundstretcher" crowd.

It makes more sense and cents to court businesses who pay rates and taxes than to accommodate shysters catering to skint pissheads and streetwalkers on lower Sukhumvit at 4am.

Sure there was more character then but that didn't advance the city's ambitions to raise its profile in the region.

The tourists and expats are still coming here in droves - they're just younger and they appreciate a little diversity

22 hours ago, Thaidream said:

Yep, 100% .......   " One night in Bangkok "   makes you wish you hadn't bothered...... 

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 9:42 AM, Thaidream said:

Strange as I often walk around different parts of Bangkok and never have a problem finding somewhere to sit outside and have a beer. 

Why just last Sunday I sat by the road at Klong Toey market and had a few beers with my mate. 

If you don't look you wont find.

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 10:11 AM, Thaidream said:

By that token why are you on an English speaking website ?

On December 11, 2560 BE at 9:42 AM, Thaidream said:

Tourist numbers are rising year on year. What are you talking about?

On 16/12/2017 at 3:15 PM, mowlem said:

Being out of the loop for a bit, does anyone know where Peter went when he left the Queen Vic? He always did a good spread.

He went to the Chequers Bar on SOi 4 but the last time I went there, that was running into trouble also. 

The night life on Sukhumvit has been dead for quite sometime, I'm surprised the Queen Vic lasted as long as it did. There much better nightlife around the city, the tourist areas are overpriced and a pale shadow of their former selves. I think the main mistakes the bars make is to cope one another and to assume there is so many tourists around a stable customer base just isnt important.