Swede Arrested After Fatal Jet Ski Accident On Jomtien Beach.

britmaveric

Swede arrested after fatal Jet Ski accident on Jomtien Beach.

15_01_2.jpg

Police Lieutenant Colonel Egadit from Dongtan Police Sub-Station was called to Jomtien Beach in front of Soi 9 over the weekend to investigate an accident involving a Jet Ski and an inflatable boat which claimed the life of a Thai man. We begin at the Bangkok-Pattaya Hospital where Medical staff admitted Khun Niwat aged 26 with a serious head injury. Moments later a further rescue ambulance arrived containing the body of Khun Wirawit aged 18 who sustained a fatal head trauma.

Back at the crash site, Police spoke with the driver of the Jet Ski, Mr. Jarko Kalevi Huovinen aged 37 from Sweden who Police suspect was in a drunken state. He sustained only minor cuts and bruises in the collision. The driver of the speed boat which was towing the inflatable device carrying the Thai men, Khun Mondree aged 21, mentioned that he was about to return to the shoreline when the Jet Ski approached at speed and failed to see the boat and a high speed collision took place. For now, Mr. Huovinen has been placed under arrest and is facing charges relating to the accident.

It is not clear if the Jet Ski operator will also face charges relating to allowing the Jet Ski to be taken out by a man who was suspected of being drunk

-Pattaya City News

Monday 15th January 2007

Twice, I've almost been killed by a jetski, while I was swimming in less than five feet of water. The Nicaraguan was drunk and didn't care. The Thai was sober, and profusely apologetic.

What do they do with drunken drivers now in Sweden? I heard, decades ago, that the King of Sweden himself would be put into jail if caught driving drunk.

Swede arrested after fatal Jet Ski accident on Jomtien Beach.

15_01_2.jpg

Mr. Jarko Kalevi Huovinen aged 37 from Sweden

-Pattaya City News

Monday 15th January 2007

Name sound Finnish to me, hope that the victims recover completely.

We were at Jomtien on New Year's Day and a riderless jetski suddenly appeared heading for the beach at speed. The tide was high, so it came out of the water and took out a few umbrellas and beach chairs. Fortunately, people had seen it coming and warnings were being yelled and I think just one person sustained minor injuries.

It was a bizarre sight though - very James Bond, I was waiting for the explosion.

My condolences to the Thai family who have lost there son

Rip.

People using and operating jet skies won’t change.

What can change is the local government can set and enforce some

Guild lines for the operators.

Like all jet skies to operate in one defined area .only

But TIT. , I doubt anything will change.

Like all jet skies to operate in one defined area .only

Collision was between the jet ski and an inflatable (banana boat?) towed by a speed boat so it sounds like it was in open water. No matter, a man is dead all through drunken stupidity and money grabbing greed on the part of the jet ski operator.

The only way tragedies of this kind will be averted is by the authorities exercising some kind of control over the use of powered craft in public areas.

Just after pigs learn to fly. :o

I joined my Thai family on the beach at Central Pattaya a few weeks ago. It was packed with Thai day trippers.

The scene in the nearby sea was akin to 'Rollerball' or one of those other futuristic movies where everyone is out to kill and maim in the the name of fun or sport.

The jet ski owners were all drunk and were driving their own jetskis in such a dangerous fashion that any one of them would have qualified for 'Horror vodeo clip of the year award'. Add to this melee: several banana boats full of screaming Thai kids, boats pulling parasailors, motor launches going to and from beachside moorings, and last but not least, a sea full of bathers - even some farangs - and it was truly amazing that no-one was involved in a serious accident.

I kid you not - it was so scary I could hardly bear to watch the proceedings.

I have since been back a few times when the family wants to have a few beers and food on the beach, and it is always the same - a feature is the drunkenness of the jetski owners who try and outdo each other by performing hairbrained stunts in the middle of bathers.

If something isn't done to regulate and control these maniacs there will be a terrible tragedy.

I have since been back a few times when the family wants to have a few beers and food on the beach, and it is always the same - a feature is the drunkenness of the jetski owners (how do you know they're drunk out of curiosity? open bottles? breathalyser? ) who try and outdo each other by performing hairbrained stunts in the middle of bathers.

If something isn't done to regulate and control these maniacs there will be a terrible tragedy. (too late.... :o)

Edited by PATTAYAPUNTER

Once again, everyone is jumping to conclusions.

Just because the report says he was drunk does not mean he was. Was there any report of a breath test yet? How do we know that the Swedish man was at fault? Of course Thais in speed boats don't do stupid things, so it must be the farangs fault??

This forum is almost a Kangaroo Court.

I have since been back a few times when the family wants to have a few beers and food on the beach, and it is always the same - a feature is the drunkenness of the jetski owners (how do you know they're drunk out of curiosity? open bottles? breathalyser? ) who try and outdo each other by performing hairbrained stunts in the middle of bathers.

If something isn't done to regulate and control these maniacs there will be a terrible tragedy. (too late.... :o)

Well I think I've been around loig enough on this earth to recognise blatant drunkeness (or possibly drugged up to the eye balls) when I see it. Certainly all the Thais with me concurred with this view.

I won't split hairs with you on this, so lets say that even if they weren't drunk it in no way excuses or mitigates their highly dangerous behaviour.

Yes one death is indeed a terrible tragedy, but I'm talking multiple deaths - it could easily happen.

Drunk, sober or whatever. How does a jet ski manage to run over an inflatable banana boat? In my own mind a person would have to be seriously impaired some way or another to have that type of accident. :o

Drunk, sober or whatever. How does a jet ski manage to run over an inflatable banana boat? In my own mind a person would have to be seriously impaired some way or another to have that type of accident. :o

You're still doing it. You have no idea how the accident occured except from the words of a report made by Thais.

If you want to believe these reports word for word, then that's your perogative, but I doubt the story is as told. There's a dead guy and a farang on a jetski. Of course it's his fault as far as the Thais involved are concerned.

You're still doing it. You have no idea how the accident occured except from the words of a report made by Thais.

If you want to believe these reports word for word, then that's your perogative, but I doubt the story is as told. There's a dead guy and a farang on a jetski. Of course it's his fault as far as the Thais involved are concerned.

And you are assuming the Thais are lying. Just as wrong IMO as assuming the Farang was wrong. IME Farang will lie and cover up to protect their own behinds pretty much the same as a Thai will. Lets try and keep RACE out of this, shall we?

Not sure why anyone would be in the water in Pattaya as you are probably likely to catch a fatal disease from swimming in that cesspool.

Jomtiem may be a fraction cleaner but i wouldn't want to swallow any water in either location.

Banana boat versus jet ski......manoeuverability of banana boat - virtually nil (since it is being towed)....manoeuverability of jet ski - comparitively infinite. Don't need to be Einstein to figure out who's at fault here. Navigation regulations require all vessels to be responsible for collision avoidance. If the jet ski rider died/was injured the banana boat operator would be guilty. In this case, since the victim was on the banana boat the jet ski rider is guilty, drunk or sober. End of story.

Has anyone considered that the guy might have rented the jet ski when he was sober (if he was in fact drunk at the time of the accident) ? Not really fair to blame the Thai jet ski operator.

Edited by sibeymai

Not sure why anyone would be in the water in Pattaya as you are probably likely to catch a fatal disease from swimming in that cesspool.

Jomtiem may be a fraction cleaner but i wouldn't want to swallow any water in either location.

Ah ha! Perhaps it was the infamous blind mullet floating on the surface that caused the accident after all :o

And you are assuming the Thais are lying. Just as wrong IMO as assuming the Farang was wrong. IME Farang will lie and cover up to protect their own behinds pretty much the same as a Thai will. Lets try and keep RACE out of this, shall we?

You're making some pretty heavy assumptions here yourself. You're basically assuming I'm racist when all I'm saying is that we should not charge a person on what we read in a newspaper report. You've not heard the jetskier's story yet have you?

Everyone assumes he is guilty without giving him a fair go. There are courts for that, but considering it's the word of one farang against the word of many Thais it's unlikely he will get a fair day in court anyway. It's not easy to get a fair go when one is in a foreign land. He can't even get a fair go on this forum with even the moderators assuming he is guilty as charged.

They did the same with an English guy a few days ago. Without any knowledge of his personal circumstances, most members had him tarred and feathered in short order.

If standing up and saying, "hey, let's hear the whole story first before we charge someone" is racist, ok, I'm racist.

Edited by tropo

Hopefully the authorites will ban jetskis from Pattaya, Dongtan and the busier section of Jomthien beaches. They are noisy and very dangerous.

It must have been awful seeing that riderless one at Jomthien beach heading right at you.

Hopefully the authorites will ban jetskis from Pattaya, Dongtan and the busier section of Jomthien beaches.

Yes swim zones and boating zones should exist, i agree here.

They are noisy and very dangerous.

Jetskis even tho i dont like them arent dangerous, lets see how many hundred people killed on the roads during songkran so lets ban cars, they are noisy cause pollution and in the wrong hands like jet skis when people are drunk or have no skill cause accidents. Dont blame the jetski.

Hopefully the authorites will ban jetskis from Pattaya, Dongtan and the busier section of Jomthien beaches.

Jetskis even tho i dont like them arent dangerous, lets see how many hundred people killed on the roads during songkran so lets ban cars, they are noisy cause pollution and in the wrong hands like jet skis when people are drunk or have no skill cause accidents. Dont blame the jetski.

I really don't want to get into a slanging match over this but your comments can't go unanswered.

It is patently ridiculous to compare cars to jet skis.

Cars a a necessary evil and essential to modern day life. Jet skis are an unneccesary evil, and are just there for the fun of the users.

Even in Thailand there are rules and regulations governing the way people drive cars, and one of the most basic is you drive on the left hand side of the road so that you don't collide with other road users. Another, maybe not so fundamental rule is that you don't drink and drive.

To my knowledge there are no rules whatsover governing the driving of jet skis in the sea. Anyone can drive in any direction they feel like, at any speed, regardless of other drivers, bathers, or boats in their vicinity. I am also not aware of any rules regarding the consumption of alcohol.

If you look at the Thailand Press clippings thread, you will see that a 15 year old Danish boy is unable to leave Thailand as he caused the death of a Chinese boy when riding his rented jet ski. In the same thread I learn that even Sydney Harbour has banned all such vehicles from its waters, and that was after trying to reduce the accidents by licencing the drivers and having rules as to their use. It didn't work - too many deaths. So If Sydney can ban jet skis and the world didn't fall in, I don't see why Pattaya ccan't.

Of course you can ban jet skis, and it would remove a huge danger and a dreadful noise pollution from pattaya's beaches. Not too many people would suffer - just a few dozen Jet ski owners.

You cannot ban cars from the roads, for obvious reasons, much as some people would like to. :o

I really don't want to get into a slanging match over this but your comments can't go unanswered.

It is patently ridiculous to compare cars to jet skis.

Cars a a necessary evil and essential to modern day life. Jet skis are an unneccesary evil, and are just there for the fun of the users.

Even in Thailand there are rules and regulations governing the way people drive cars, and one of the most basic is you drive on the left hand side of the road so that you don't collide with other road users. Another, maybe not so fundamental rule is that you don't drink and drive.

To my knowledge there are no rules whatsover governing the driving of jet skis in the sea. Anyone can drive in any direction they feel like, at any speed, regardless of other drivers, bathers, or boats in their vicinity. I am also not aware of any rules regarding the consumption of alcohol.

If you look at the Thailand Press clippings thread, you will see that a 15 year old Danish boy is unable to leave Thailand as he caused the death of a Chinese boy when riding his rented jet ski. In the same thread I learn that even Sydney Harbour has banned all such vehicles from its waters, and that was after trying to reduce the accidents by licencing the drivers and having rules as to their use. It didn't work - too many deaths. So If Sydney can ban jet skis and the world didn't fall in, I don't see why Pattaya ccan't.

Of course you can ban jet skis, and it would remove a huge danger and a dreadful noise pollution from pattaya's beaches. Not too many people would suffer - just a few dozen Jet ski owners.

You cannot ban cars from the roads, for obvious reasons, much as some people would like to. :o

Mobi, I think I could easily fall in love with you. You explain everything so sensibly!

You're making some pretty heavy assumptions here yourself. You're basically assuming I'm racist when all I'm saying is that we should not charge a person on what we read in a newspaper report. You've not heard the jetskier's story yet have you?

Everyone assumes he is guilty without giving him a fair go. There are courts for that, but considering it's the word of one farang against the word of many Thais it's unlikely he will get a fair day in court anyway. It's not easy to get a fair go when one is in a foreign land. He can't even get a fair go on this forum with even the moderators assuming he is guilty as charged.

They did the same with an English guy a few days ago. Without any knowledge of his personal circumstances, most members had him tarred and feathered in short order.

If standing up and saying, "hey, let's hear the whole story first before we charge someone" is racist, ok, I'm racist.

Only assumption was based on this particular comment:

from the words of a report made by Thais.
Which is far different from your second statement:
all I'm saying is that we should not charge a person on what we read in a newspaper report.

And I certainly did not say he was guilty, I said that in my experience farang are just as likely to lie as Thai in order to cover their own butts.