"mai Pua"

girlx

anyone know? not "mai bua", it has more of a 'p' sound.

Not bored. เบื่อ (bèua)= to be bored with (also means to be poisoned , but probably not the case here) ไม่ (mâi)= not

more aspirated like a bp sound

It is austrian dialect ( mei bua )and means "my Son" or " my Boy" . "Mai bua" into German means "mein Junge" or " mein Bub" :o

Not sure what it means when it is spoken from Thai's ? Bambina surely enlightens us with more useful info

rcm

Bambina surely enlightens us with more useful info

rcm

Oh dear.. Its really hard for me to guess .. i need more context ..:o

ANYWAY .. GirlX is in Pha ngan .. so it may be the southern dialect

Not bored. เบื่อ (bèua)= to be bored with (also means to be poisoned , but probably not the case here) ไม่ (mâi)= not

tywais may be right ..

tywais may be right ..

I'm just guessing because you are right about context. The title of the topic "mai Pua" suggests 'no husband' but not quite complete. And the comment about b but more like a p would be how เบื่อ would be pronounced. Then there's แม่ผัว - ma pua (husband's mother). Will have to wait for her reply.

Not bored. ...yep....correct... :o

My wife is from Nakhon Si Thammarat and she said that if it was a southerner speaking these words they could possibly have said "mai Plue" ( sorry about the spelling interpretation ) meaning never mind or doesn't matter.

The example she gave me for this saying was if you were at someones house and you knocked over a glass and it broke you would apologise and in return they would say "mai plue".

Other than that she agrees with the previous posts of "not bored" or "husbands mother".

My wife is from Nakhon Si Thammarat and she said that if it was a southerner speaking these words they could possibly have said "mai Plue" ( sorry about the spelling interpretation ) meaning never mind or doesn't matter.

The example she gave me for this saying was if you were at someones house and you knocked over a glass and it broke you would apologise and in return they would say "mai plue".

Other than that she agrees with the previous posts of "not bored" or "husbands mother".

I'm from the south and this is common. ไม่พรือ - ( mâi preu ). = Never mind: ไม่เป็นไร, but the OPs spelling seems off.

It could also be ไม้บัว - ( máai bua ) = the lotus leaf, which is more in line with the OPs spelling. :o

:D-->

QUOTE(Edward B @ 2007-01-16 11:58:49) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm from the south and this is common. ไม่พรือ - ( mâi preu ). = Never mind: ไม่เป็นไร, but the OPs spelling seems off.

It could also be ไม้บัว - ( máai bua ) = the lotus leaf, which is more in line with the OPs spelling. :o

My wife wants to know where you live in the south as she has never of maai bua as lotus leaf. She says she knows lotus leaf as "bai bua" and that maai means tree.

i guess i must have heard it wrong, it definitely wasn't "not bored"... it might have been "never mind" though... hmm i will have to listen more carefully when i am eavesdropping on people speaking about me! :o

i guess i must have heard it wrong, it definitely wasn't "not bored"... it might have been "never mind" though... hmm i will have to listen more carefully when i am eavesdropping on people speaking about me! :D

If you're single, maybe they were saying 'mai mee pua' (in a hushed sad way) = no husband. :o

My wife wants to know where you live in the south as she has never of maai bua as lotus leaf. She says she knows lotus leaf as "bai bua" and that maai means tree.

Actually I was being loose with the translation. I just wanted to highlight the OPs lack of context and possible spelling inconsistency. mai bua could mean lots of things depending on these two things.

I'm from the deep dark south. :o

i guess i must have heard it wrong, it definitely wasn't "not bored"... it might have been "never mind" though... hmm i will have to listen more carefully when i am eavesdropping on people speaking about me! :o

if you are in the room the best construction you could put on it is ..mia pua... husband and wife, confirming her living status to a, hopefully, envious friend? The moment has gone however so you will never know!

if you are in the room the best construction you could put on it is ..mia pua... husband and wife, confirming her living status to a, hopefully, envious friend? The moment has gone however so you will never know!

It is good to 'kick it around' a bit and learn a bit more.

Its often easy not to hear the final consonant and ร ล are often dropped so it could be almost anything. Really need to know the whole sentence to hazard a guess

เปลือก bplèuak means shell ; case ; husk ; pod ; skin ; bark ; rind

เปลือกไม้ bplèuak máai bark ; husk

ปวด bpùat ache ; pain

เปื้อน bpêuan dirty ; stain ; soil ; blot ; foul

เพื่อน pêuan friend

พลั่ว plêua shovel ; spade

พวก pûak group ; community ; party ; company ; followers ; gang

เพื่อ pêua for ; in order that ; so

เผื่อ pèua in order that

พัว pua join ; link ; connect ; clustered ; bunched

Edited by loong

***edit for clarification***

mai is a negative in this word.

Peua means: to share (kind of).

Its Thai South and means not sharing, not considerate to share. ex: I buy a box of cookies and don't buy any for you, I am "mai pua" I buy something only for myself and don't share or don't buy any for someone else. It is only in this kind of situation.

So, pua means to share or to consider someone enough to get some for them too.

It can also be used as a verb as well as adjective. So, if I am going to town to buy some cookies my husband might say "pua gun" --buy some for me too.

Apparently it is not a catch-all phrase but used in a specific kind of situation.

**edit** just had to add, both of my staff and my husband recognized the word right away, even without context**

After posting this it caused me to think about those phrases that highlight the cultural differences, and this, it seems to me, is one of those phrases.

I am sure I, too, have been accused of being "mai pua" in the past as well. But then, I don't come from a communal culture such as here. Its very much a "whats mine is yours, whats yours is mine" way of thinking. I remember after I first got married my husband got very upset with me because I wouldn't share my meal with him. Never mind that I hadn't eaten yet and he had. He was devastated that I wouldn't share my food with him and felt that somehow he wasn't as important to me as I was to him. All over not giving him part of my sandwich. Now, I just make extra :o

But, that said, I think many Thais cannot understand our unwillingness to share everything. So, don't take it to heart girlx, just goes to show that in many ways, we farang will never be the same as Thais.

***edit for clarification***

mai is a negative in this word.

Peua means: to share (kind of).

Its Thai South and means not sharing, not considerate to share. ex: I buy a box of cookies and don't buy any for you, I am "mai pua" I buy something only for myself and don't share or don't buy any for someone else. It is only in this kind of situation.

So, pua means to share or to consider someone enough to get some for them too.

It can also be used as a verb as well as adjective. So, if I am going to town to buy some cookies my husband might say "pua gun" --buy some for me too.

Apparently it is not a catch-all phrase but used in a specific kind of situation.

**edit** just had to add, both of my staff and my husband recognized the word right away, even without context**

Just asked my wife about peua meaning to share and she said southern Thais and all Thais say the same word but just pronounce it slightly differently. She does agree with you in that this may be the answer to the original question.