Can anyone recommend a good BMW thesedays?

speedtripler

6 hours ago, hawker9000 said:

Agreed.  I've got a 3-series going on 15yo in the states, and I wouldn't trade it even-swap for a brand new one, even direct from Munich.  But that's partly because I've maintained it in a pampered condition inside & out.  But buy a used one?  Anywhere?  No way.  Buy one in Thailand at 2-3x the price?  Same answer.   And if I ever did, I'd be afraid to drive it or park it anywhere.  No thanks.

It's sad to get old or poor, or both :-)

My S-class lives in the streets and never had any problem. Anyway, problems are the reason why I pay 80000 insurance yearly...

23 hours ago, speedtripler said:

Yes, I know it makes a lot more sense (financially) to buy a locally made vehicle and I still might consider one

What is the Thai made equivalent of a BMW though? (similar engine /performance /spec/build quality  etc

Off topic I know but My friend bought a fully loaded ranger wildtrek and it's not a bad deal  for the price (a bit bouncy tho) 

The modified ones look  cool but you can spend more on mods than the car itself...  :smile:

To clarify, many BMW and Benz are assembled locally. If I was looking for a BMW I’d probably go for a 4-series. Good looks, a strong diesel engine, and a four door option if you have a family. 

Am more of a Benz guy myself. Although I love sports cars the roads in Thailand can be brutal and having a less sporty more comfortable option suits me better. Also slightly better resale, local brand image and dealer network. 

Had an Audi sports car here before. Great fun but limited usage. Would only get another sports car if I lived in Chiang Mai and had more of a chance to use it. 

5 hours ago, Crash999 said:

To clarify, many BMW and Benz are assembled locally. If I was looking for a BMW I’d probably go for a 4-series. Good looks, a strong diesel engine, and a four door option if you have a family. 

Am more of a Benz guy myself. Although I love sports cars the roads in Thailand can be brutal and having a less sporty more comfortable option suits me better. Also slightly better resale, local brand image and dealer network. 

Had an Audi sports car here before. Great fun but limited usage. Would only get another sports car if I lived in Chiang Mai and had more of a chance to use it. 

The Bangkok Pattaya motorway is good to test the 250km/h...

And my S class is not too sporty :-)

On 12/14/2017 at 8:01 PM, bleble said:

...said the poor cheap charly who never owned anything nice his whole life !

i have owned many Bimmers in L.A., Rolls, Jags, Alfa Romeo,, but here no way. do not trust Thai mechanics. my BMW mechanic back home was a former aircraft mechanic from S. Africa who worked for a leading British Airline. immaculate shop. better than any dealer experience i have had.  

9 minutes ago, malibukid said:

i have owned many Bimmers in L.A., Rolls, Jags, Alfa Romeo,, but here no way. do not trust Thai mechanics. my BMW mechanic back home was a former aircraft mechanic from S. Africa who worked for a leading British Airline. immaculate shop. better than any dealer experience i have had.  

... said Bill gates who has now decided to save ! hahahaha...

hahahaha...

As if any German cars mechanic had to think about anything !

This is actually one of the reasons why I only drive Benz, they connect the computer and follow what is told !

Do you think that I am dumb enough to trust any Thai at work, especially when it's about security ?

So of course it's a lot safer to drive German cars serviced by Benz or BMW than any other cheap brands for cheap charlies.

14 minutes ago, malibukid said:

The reason I decided not to buy a maserati here. I used to drive a mid 90s Ghibli in the uk and saw a similar one for sale here. Tempting but glad I didnt.

1 hour ago, Will E Vormer said:

The reason I decided not to buy a maserati here. I used to drive a mid 90s Ghibli in the uk and saw a similar one for sale here. Tempting but glad I didnt.

Another $$$ millionaire who prefers to drive a toyota truck in Thailand... hahaha...

How possible that people do not look at themselves in the mirror ?

Thought about an Audi? Some good models here at pretty reasonable prices .

I was looking at bmws last week on one2car.com and if you sift through most of the average ones there are a few good deals. I would go for 530i m sport or 330e m sport for a general use car . I did see a m3 on Facebook from bkk dealer at 7 million bht second hand with around 60,000km.

8 hours ago, Will E Vormer said:

If you can wait 6 months, the first german made G20's(new 3 series) may hit Thailand by mid year.
It ticks all the boxes for me. Just about big enough for me but small enough for my petite wife! And safe too..

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Have they added anything new the G20 that the current G30 (5 series) don't have?

Have they added anything new the G20 that the current G30 (5 series) don't have?

Less is more?

The new platform means a fully electric version in a couple of years. A 3 cylinder turbo kicks off the range and an unusual dash design, with analogue dials wrapped around a screen/display. The rest looks fairly generic.

As the wife vetoed a merc(because of the image), it looks like a beemer for our next car.

4 hours ago, Will E Vormer said:

Less is more?

The new platform means a fully electric version in a couple of years. A 3 cylinder turbo kicks off the range and an unusual dash design, with analogue dials wrapped around a screen/display. The rest looks fairly generic.

As the wife vetoed a merc(because of the image), it looks like a beemer for our next car.

hahaha, what is the problem with Benz image ? I would never buy a BMW because of the image actually, and because they should first learn to give a face to their cars: when you see a BMW coming without a star in front, it just looks like an improved Toyota.

On 12/15/2017 at 7:11 PM, bleble said:

The Bangkok Pattaya motorway is good to test the 250km/h...

And my S class is not too sporty :-)

That’s where we used to go for early morning Sunday drives. 

How do you like the S class? Is it the latest model? Thinking of upgrading from an E class but a bit worried about parking it as it seems massive. Also seems many people choose to have drivers rather than driving themselves. 

4 minutes ago, Crash999 said:

That’s where we used to go for early morning Sunday drives. 

How do you like the S class? Is it the latest model? Thinking of upgrading from an E class but a bit worried about parking it as it seems massive. Also seems many people choose to have drivers rather than driving themselves. 

Unlike girls that I always find too big, I never find cars big enough (maybe a ego thing).

Yes, the latest model is my perfect car, but not sure that I would upgrade if I already had a E which is certainly enough.

I got a S because I didn't want to think after buying a E that I should have got a S-class :-)

hahaha, what is the problem with Benz image ? I would never buy a BMW because of the image actually, and because they should first learn to give a face to their cars: when you see a BMW coming without a star in front, it just looks like an improved Toyota.

I like Benz's, but my wife thinks majority of people who drive them in Thailand are show off/wanna be hiso types.
I'm sure you arent representative of this

21 hours ago, Will E Vormer said:

If you can wait 6 months, the first german made G20's(new 3 series) may hit Thailand by mid year.
It ticks all the boxes for me. Just about big enough for me but small enough for my petite wife! And safe too..

I think you might want to add 12 months to that. The G20 is expected to hit markets mid or late 2019. 

Though it will have the same engines for the most part, It will have much upgraded interior, a more daring loook on the outside and most importantly: It will be almost 100kg lighter thanks to the CLAR-chassis.

I think you might want to add 12 months to that. The G20 is expected to hit markets mid or late 2019. 

Though it will have the same engines for the most part, It will have much upgraded interior, a more daring loook on the outside and most importantly: It will be almost 100kg lighter thanks to the CLAR-chassis.

Ouch.. didnt know it was 12 months.. Thanks for clarifying that.

I suggest BMW 5 Series Touring. It makes a powerful case for the traditional estate against the SUV, and is an almost perfect family car. But if you are going to buy it don't forget to make a full inspection. When I bought my BMW 3 I had VINZ pre purchase inspection. It's a must have esp for a used car.

19 hours ago, MuntyC0re said:

I suggest BMW 5 Series Touring. It makes a powerful case for the traditional estate against the SUV, and is an almost perfect family car. But if you are going to buy it don't forget to make a full inspection. When I bought my BMW 3 I had VINZ pre purchase inspection. It's a must have esp for a used car.

BMW thailand doesnt sell any touring model here.  Which is a shame; I like the design, but estate cars are rare here

I have a F10 M5 V8 and previously the V10 monster. Both assembled in Thailand originating from Japan. Actually they use the official registered body of any F10, completely strip it to the bare metal and rebuild it with a cut M5 from Japan. I only buy fully legal registered cars with the M5 engine in the blue book. This way I have the chance to enjoy top technology with high HP for a “reasonable” price.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Archived