O-A End of Second Year, What Now?

6 hours ago, BritTim said:

You have a number of options. If they issue them, I would suggest a single entry Non O visa from your home country as the easiest solution. Entering in November 2018, this will give a permission to stay until February 2019. Around January 2019, you then extend for a further year until February 2020. This should then have you conveniently placed for future winters, should Thailand still be your preferred annual cold weather bolt hole.

If the above does not work, a new Non O-A is an obvious alternative. You can get the health check done quickly and cheaply in Thailand before you leave if you do not mind applying for the Non O-A visa a little early.

It is also possible to enter as a tourist, and apply for the Non O visa in Thailand via a process called conversion. It is a bit messy, so consider the two options above first.

What happens then if I re-enter Thailand a few days before my admitted until 14 Oct 2018 ?

How many days will I get upon arrival to settle the 1 year extension if that is an option ?

By the way OJAS I am Canadian as the OP.

2 minutes ago, GMajor said:

What happens then if I re-enter Thailand a few days before my admitted until 14 Oct 2018 ?

How many days will I get upon arrival to settle the 1 year extension if that is an option ?

As long as you have a re-entry permit prior to travel you will get that 14 Oct 2018 again.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GMajor said:

If you have seasoned money in the bank, and have a re-entry permit, you could return around 10 October 2018 (ensuring you put the re-entry permit number where the visa number usually goes). The immigration official will likely ask you if you just want to be stamped in until 14 October, rather than being given a 30-day visa exempt entry. Explain that you plan to apply immediately for a one-year extension. You then get the necessary letter form the bank, and updated bank book, and go to immigration for the extension.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GMajor said:

You would be stamped into the country to the 14th of October if you have a re-entry permit.

If you entered on the 8th or 9th that would allow you enough time to apply for an extension if you have the financial proof.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BritTim said:

If you have seasoned money in the bank, and have a re-entry permit, you could return around 10 October 2018 (ensuring you put the re-entry permit number where the visa number usually goes). The immigration official will likely ask you if you just want to be stamped in until 14 October, rather than being given a 30-day visa exempt entry. Explain that you plan to apply immediately for a one-year extension. You then get the necessary letter form the bank, and updated bank book, and go to immigration for the extension.

We're getting there... :-) My O-A has the multiple entry  option, re-entry permit mandatory then?

4 minutes ago, GMajor said:

We're getting there... :-) My O-A has the multiple entry  option, re-entry permit mandatory then?

You said end of second year but O-A visa is only valid for one year so you no longer have a valid visa so what it says means nothing - you will require a re-entry permit to keep your current permitted to stay alive

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GMajor said:

The multi entry is only valid until the enter before date of your O-A Visa.

Your permission to stay is separate from the validity of the Visa.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lopburi3 said:

You said end of second year but O-A visa is only valid for one year so you no longer have a valid visa so what it says means nothing - you will require a re-entry permit to keep your current permitted to stay alive

Loud and clear. Thanks

8 minutes ago, GMajor said:

A multi entry Non Imm O-A Visa. (Long stay). Valid 1 year. Can be issued to those who are over 50 who intend to remain in Thailand for long periods. This Visa allows unlimited 1 year entries before the ‘enter before’ date of the Visa, at which point this Visa is ‘used’.

If you leave and re-enter just before the ‘enter before’ date of this Visa type you are granted another 1 year permission to stay. You will however require a re-entry permit if you intend to leave and re-enter Thailand during this 2nd year permission to stay period.

This is because when the Visa expires on the ‘enter before’ date, so does the ME facility which is only valid until the ‘enter before’ date of the Visa.

• Like 1