One killed, 13 injured in crash on expressway

rooster59

One killed, 13 injured in crash on expressway

By The Nation

One person was killed and 13 others injured when a car crashed into the rear of a modified pickup on the Srirat expressway in Bangkok’s Sai Mai district early Saturday.

Police said the accident happened at 5am on the outbound expressway.

The car driver, Wathee Chanplaiphet, 32, and the pickup driver, Nimit Thamoon, 51, were among the injured.

Wathee told police that he was returning home after overtime work and he had dozed off before being woken up by the crash.

Nimit said he had picked up the workers from the Pratunam area to work in Sai Mai. He said the car suddenly hit the rear of his pickup, causing him to lose control. His pickup crashed into the concrete wall of the expressway.

A worker sitting beside Nimit was fatally injured. He died shortly after rescuers arrived at the scene. He has yet to be identified as he had no identification card with him.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30334090

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-12-16

1 hour ago, Thaiwrath said:

And the Government are going to enforce the sitting in the back of pick ups illegal ONLY for the New Year period !

If they took the time to read Thaivisa, they would see that people get killed in such circumstances EVERY day of the year.

Unless I read it wrong the only person killed was the Passenger inside the truck, so sitting in the back in this case was safer

1 hour ago, Thaiwrath said:

And the Government are going to enforce the sitting in the back of pick ups illegal ONLY for the New Year period !

If they took the time to read Thaivisa, they would see that people get killed in such circumstances EVERY day of the year.

It says "modified pickup".

The last time that description was used in these pages what they were actually talking about was a songthaew,.....a baht bus.

Didn't take much detective work as one could see what it was in the accompanying photo.

Let us wait and see if it's the same this time.

Too late! The flag's down! They're off!

Edited by Enoon

3 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Ha, If the gov. read these forums I think they'd shut it down.

Edited by TKDfella

11 hours ago, ignis said:

Unless I read it wrong the only person killed was the Passenger inside the truck, so sitting in the back in this case was safer

Correct, but a rare case like the one that went into a klong this week where all on the the back were thrown clear and most of the cab occupants drowned.

It is definitely not safe to ride in the back, but neither is it safe to have a driver that falls asleep, something that happens so often here in whatever they are driving.

:sleepy:

It is really sad that this accident cost someone their life and injured so many, my heart goes out to the victims and their families. 

"I dozed off"...."the brakes failed"...." I suffered a seizure"....and the list of excuses goes on and on. When I was a tow truck driver in the States I heard all the excuses. It was "my power steering quit working" when they lost control on a corner and the steering would not respond because they were in a slide, or "my brakes failed" when they were going down steep mountain hills and were riding the brakes so hard that they would no longer work. If they rear-ended another vehicle it was usually "my anti-lock brakes failed".

14 hours ago, Moti24 said:

"Wathee told police that he was returning home after overtime work and he had dozed off before being woken up by the crash."

Shame he got woken-up instead of visiting the after-life, ****in moron!

Usually its the brakes excuse  This must be  new one they have learnt  Of coarse it has nothing to do with driving an unsafe vehicle  or speeding or being drunk( Any breath sample taken) Why was he working overtime? There are so many Thais walking around doing nothing surely the company can employ more people if they have so much work to do Ok i will re-write his story  I was speeding and i was in hurry because i have me me attitude and i wanted to be first  So i dont care about the lives i have with me and i dont care about the road rules because the police dont care anyway and i can get away breaking the rules Does that sound like a better story?:partytime2: