Weinstein denies blacklisting actresses Ashley Judd, Mira Sorvino

rooster59

Weinstein denies blacklisting actresses Ashley Judd, Mira Sorvino

800x800 (13).jpg

FILE PHOTO - Harvey Weinstein, Co-Chairman of The Weinstein Company, speaks at the UBS 40th Annual Global Media and Communications Conference in New York, December 5, 2012. REUTERS/Carlo Allegri

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Harvey Weinstein on Friday denied barring actresses Ashley Judd and Mira Sorvino from working on the movie adaptation of "The Lord of the Rings" or blacklisting them from further projects.

Weinstein, who has been accused of sexual harassment by more than 50 women, including Judd and Sorvino, was responding to remarks by "Lord of the Rings" director Peter Jackson.

Reuters is unable to independently confirm the misconduct allegations and Weinstein has denied having non-consensual sex with anyone.

In an interview with New Zealand website Stuff on Thursday, Jackson said he expressed interest in casting Judd and Sorvino in the movie while pitching the project to Weinstein's production company Miramax.

"I recall Miramax telling us they were a nightmare to work with and we should avoid them at all costs. This was probably in 1998," Jackson said.

"At the time, we had no reason to question what these guys were telling us... I now suspect we were fed false information about both of these talented women - and as a direct result their names were removed from our casting list," he added.

The "Lord of the Rings" movie trilogy later went to New Line Cinema and released in 2001.

Weinstein's spokeswoman Holly Baird said in a statement that Harvey and his bother Bob "had no input into the casting whatsoever" on "Lord of the Rings."

The statement said that Judd was subsequently cast by Weinstein in two other movies - "Frida" and "Crossing Over."

It added that Sorvino called Weinstein earlier this year to ask if her husband, actor Christopher Backus, could be cast in the TV series "Six" that he was producing "and Mr. Weinstein cast him."

Judd, responding on Twitter on Friday, recalled having detailed talks with Jackson about "Lord of the Rings" but "then I abruptly never heard from him again."

Sorvino said on Twitter that she "burst out crying" when she read Jackson's remarks, calling them "confirmation that Harvey Weinstein derailed my career, something I suspected but was unsure."

Representatives for the two actresses did not respond on Friday to a request for further comment.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-12-17

17 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

This is f*****g stupidity. Even women who haven't claimed they were abused are now claiming it is unfair because they weren't.  

Anyway he is the boss he can hire whomever he wants.

He may be the boss, but the laws don't allow him to discriminate based on criteria like race, creed, or willingness to have sex with the boss. 

I'd be a little less than pleased if my wife, sister, niece, or daughter came home and told me they either had to agree to sleep with the boss or find another line of work.

Just because they agreed to do it, doesn't make it consensual if the consequences of not agreeing are losing their livelihood.  But rich and powerful people aren't always willing to see it that way.  Or admit it, anyway.

Edited by impulse

4 hours ago, SoulWater said:

Sure he has been a bit dodgy but all these crying actresses looking for an Oscar, publicity or a little attention coming out of the woodwork is BS

In your eyes and mind. Personally, I always wondered what happened to Sorvino and her career. She won an Oscar and then basically disappeared. I figured she had got married and was having kids etc. But this all makes sense, and I would rather listen to Peter Jackson than Weistein, or you.

I had to interview some women for   the managers secretary 's job  many years ago  .
The last interviewee without any warning   'give me a flash"   while getting up from her chair  .

This was in my  naïve pre -Pattaya days and frankly I have been having nightmares  in the form of flashbacks  about it ever since.

Who do I contact ?

5 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

I doubt you were closely involved in any of this, but I know of one who was and his words are

Weinstein has denied having non-consensual sex with anyone.

no shit Sherlock he denied it... doesn't take a rocket scientist to know he would do that

5 hours ago, impulse said:

He may be the boss, but the laws don't allow him to discriminate based on criteria like race, creed, or willingness to have sex with the boss. 

I'd be a little less than pleased if my wife, sister, niece, or daughter came home and told me they either had to agree to sleep with the boss or find another line of work.

Just because they agreed to do it, doesn't make it consensual if the consequences of not agreeing are losing their livelihood.  But rich and powerful people aren't always willing to see it that way.  Or admit it, anyway.

quote "

I'd be a little less than pleased if my wife, sister, niece, or daughter came home and told me they either had to agree to sleep with the boss or find another line of work."

Would you advise your daughter to audition for a top Hollywood movie if she had the acting ability of a clothes peg? So, if she won the part, how would you guess she did that? The upside to this scandal is we will probably end up with a new generation of female actors that can actually act. As it stands all the good movies in the last 50 years had male leading actors, funny that.

7 hours ago, impulse said:

Even if they were offered a $10M wage for a movie and they were hopeless at acting?

I'd be saying, good on yer girl.

1 hour ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Even if they were offered a $10M wage for a movie and they were hopeless at acting?

I'd be saying, good on yer girl.

How many guys you figure Tom Cruise had to blow for his last job? 

It's not as if Ashley Judd, Mira Sorvino and Salma Hayek are any less skilled than he is.  Or less skilled than Adam Sandler,  just to drive home the point.

5 hours ago, impulse said:

How many guys you figure Tom Cruise had to blow for his last job? 

It's not as if Ashley Judd, Mira Sorvino and Salma Hayek are any less skilled than he is.  Or less skilled than Adam Sandler,  just to drive home the point.

I'm out here using my western money to buy myself an Asian wife half my age.  Afraid I can't really claim any moral high ground over Harvey Weinstein.  How about you?

5 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

I'm out here using my western money to buy myself an Asian wife half my age.  Afraid I can't really claim any moral high ground over Harvey Weinstein.  How about you?

Haven't touched a Thai woman in the 6+ years I've been working here.  I came for the paycheck.

5 hours ago, Credo said:
10 hours ago, impulse said:

Haven't touched a Thai woman in the 6+ years I've been working here.  I came for the paycheck.

Perhaps a boy or two?   I came to see the temples, myself.   

Nope, I'm not a member of the pedo rings we keep reading about.  Nor do I play for that team.  I already had a GF (of appropriate age) before I ever got to Thailand.

The biggest difference for me between temples and paychecks is that the paychecks never got boring, even when I got 70+ in a row that looked pretty much the same except the amount.  Temples, on the other hand...  The other difference is that I know a lot of people who are honestly here for the paycheck.  For the temples- never met a one.

8 minutes ago, isaanbanhou said:

the men that say that's the way it's always been are dinosaurs. The guy that talks about buying his wife (half his age as if that justifies it) should just rent. This isn't a fad, it's more like Rosa Parks. The toothpaste is hard to put back in the tube.

But it has always been that way in Hollywood unless you want to rewrite history. In fact sex has been a type of currency since before there was currency. I am not condoning any of the behavior. What I object to is one-sidedness. I see nowhere in these headlines accusations against women who gladly went along with it because they were average actresses but saw a way to get ahead.  I'll bet some of those opportunists have now made their way to the list of accusers because their career is circling the drain.

I think it is horrible that people use these methods against honest hard working moral people. But I also think that this current manhunt considers only males as the perpetrators. You don't think that some of those starlets wouldn't sell their grandma for croc food if it meant a shot at an Oscar? By all accounts, the Hollywood swamp is teaming with dark and venomous creatures. Of course they all like to make moralizing speeches whenever given the chance.