Retirement Visa Questions

I'm applying for a retirement visa. I don't plan to do any work but.....

1. If I want to do some volunteering would I need a work permit?
  2. If I took paid employment (part time, for example) in the future and needed to get a WP, would I have to get a different type of visa?
  3. I plan to travel frequently to neighboring countries at least in the first year or so. Is a retirement visa multiple entry by definition or do I have to ask specifically in my application (I don't see a place to do this)?

I would be grateful for any advice on these matters.

Thanks.

Edited by Greenside

1. In general a work permit by law is required for any work. But enforcement might not be the same everywhere. I note that the UK Embassy does not mention a requirement for work permit if volunteer and the use of non immigrant O visa so there may be a change in policy for those teaching.

2. On Voluntary Basis

The applicant must apply for a non-immigrant visa, type “O”. at the Embassy. The applicant is required to submit an official recommendation letter from the organization in Thailand to the Embassy. Information on the term of voluntary work of the applicant in Thailand have to be provided for the Embassy’s consideration. If the applicant has appropriate qualification, the Embassy will issue a non-immigrant visa, type “O”, single entry with three month validity to the applicant within two working days. With this kind of visa, the applicant will be permitted to stay in Thailand not more than 90 days. In case the applicant wishes to extend the duration of stay in Thailand, the applicant is required to apply with the Immigration Bureau in Thailand by enclosing an official introduction letter of the Organization in Thailand.

Please be informed that a foreigner who is holding a Thai tourist visa is not permitted to work as an English teacher in Thailand, even on a voluntary basis.

Fees :

VISA FEE GBP 40.00 for Single Entry

VISA FEE GBP 90.00 for Multiple Entries

2. You can not work on a retirement extension of stay - although even that has recently seen exceptions. In general you would have to forgo the retirement and stay on employment visa/extensions.

3. I believe you are talking about extensions of stay for retirement obtained in Thailand. Any exit after obtaining such an extension of stay will end the extension without you having obtained a re-entry permit first. Cost of re-entry permit is 1,000 each or 3,800 baht for multi entry valid for the full period of your extension of stay.