December 18, 20178 yr I am building a house in Khon Kaen and we are now in the process of choosing a front door. I am not in Thailand but the wife is there while the house is being buid. we settled on this design I ask the builder what kind of wood it is and he say he cant explain, he send me this, with an arrow on what I think is the wood, but I have never heard of "Campus" wood and Google is no help. Any ideas? I am waiting to find out if they build it in better wood and if there are other choices of wood. What should I be looking for? Thank you
December 18, 20178 yr Author 3 minutes ago, Briggsy said: It is Kempas. http://lesserknowntimberspecies.com/species/item/59 Thank you Briggsy! Does anyone know of its desirability for a front door? I dont mind paying a litle more for better wood
December 18, 20178 yr 2 minutes ago, sirineou said: Thank you Briggsy! Does anyone know of its desirability for a front door? I dont mind paying a litle more for better wood It is a hardwood but other than that, I have no idea and I will leave it to the experts.
December 19, 20178 yr It's not one I've come across, but the page linked to by Briggsy says:- Durability Dry wood borers: Class S - Susceptible Fungi: Class 2 - Durable Termites: Class S - Susceptible Treatability: Class 3 - Poorly permeable Making it less than perfect, termites like it and it doesn't absorb chemicals. Hopefully someone with experience will be along soon. "I don't want to know why you can't. I want to know how you can!"
December 19, 20178 yr Author I read this interesting article on Kampas wood and it said a lot of good things about it. https://www.builddirect.com/blog/hardwood-species-youve-never-heard-of-but-should-kempas/ I think I will give it a try.
December 25, 20178 yr Much more important than the wood the dore is made of is that you get them to throughly treated the frame with Chandrite.
December 25, 20178 yr On 18/12/2017 at 5:53 PM, Briggsy said: It is a hardwood but other than that, I have no idea and I will leave it to the experts. Had one fitted and we had a hell of a time with it. It had not been treated or seasoned, I dont know if any are so treated. It was fitted but warped in the humid conditions. It took a very good carpenter 4 days to treat it (first using a big hair dryer for hours to warp it back and then treated chemically. Its a lovely door and we are very pleased with it, but it was far from an easy thing to fit and treat and it took an expert to do it properly.
December 25, 20178 yr Author 3 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said: Much more important than the wood the dore is made of is that you get them to throughly treated the frame with Chandrite. Thank you for that bit of information. it had never occured to me . The doors have being ordered and I assume are being made right now. At which point should they be treated with Chandrite.
December 25, 20178 yr 1 hour ago, sirineou said: Thank you for that bit of information. it had never occured to me . The doors have being ordered and I assume are being made right now. At which point should they be treated with Chandrite. The frame is the important thing to treat. Treat the frame with Chandrite before it is fitted, as that is the thing that the termites will eat. If you treat the frame before cutting it to size be sure to treat the cut ends. The doors should be treated as soon as they are constructed and sanded and before using any finish on them. You will need to allow at least a week for the two coats of Chandrite to flash off before the finish is applied
Create an account or sign in to comment