Good-value Indian cuisine in Patong?

Mysterion

There is no good-value Indian food on the island. As Somtamnication states, all well over-priced.

Where as Indian communities in Malaysia opened up dozens of restaurants, our lot in Phuket opened tailor shops.

Our loss; now Malaysia has the best Indian food in the world at stunningly cheap prices.

Just as an aside, a certain well-known Indian restaurant that does a weekly buffet, first opened in Patong.

On hearing that an Indian restaurant had opened, myself and a couple of mates went to check it out.

We ordered a vegetable curry. What actually came was a teacup sized portion of frozen mixed veg (Birdseye?) that had been mixed with some curry-powder and water. To add insult to injury, we were charged nearly 200 Bt. This was nearly 20 years ago and I still boycott the place.

Another Indian restaurant that used to be on the Chalong Pier road, but has now moved to another location in Chalong is also boycotted due to charging me 99 Bt for a small bowl of steamed rice.

I now make my own curries. Fed up of getting ripped-off by the Indian restaurants here.

Not in Patong but on the Vijit Road, souh of Chalong circle, there is a place called "Tandoori nights" that is worth to be visited.

The cook is from Nepal, but the tastes are very good and generally really indian.

Vegetable pakora, butter chicken,  chicken tandoori, fish tikka, channa masala, Madras prawn are very good, while the bathura is excellent.

A warning : do not say : "spicy no problem" because they tend to put much more chilly than in India to satisfy their Thai customers.

The place is small, with only five tables outide and the others inside, with an interior room not so attracting, but the service is very kind and nice, and the prices are correct.

50 minutes ago, federicoP said:

Not in Patong but on the Vijit Road, souh of Chalong circle, there is a place called "Tandoori nights" that is worth to be visited.

The cook is from Nepal, but the tastes are very good and generally really indian.

Vegetable pakora, butter chicken,  chicken tandoori, fish tikka, channa masala, Madras prawn are very good, while the bathura is excellent.

A warning : do not say : "spicy no problem" because they tend to put much more chilly than in India to satisfy their Thai customers.

The place is small, with only five tables outide and the others inside, with an interior room not so attracting, but the service is very kind and nice, and the prices are correct.

Yes agree. Nice people, reasonable food, but still, 200 Bt for a very small chicken curry?

The breads are good and the place is very popular. The only place I still eat at for Indian food, but, let's face it; they are good because everyone else is bad.

Not in Patong, I know, but Bollywood, almost opposite Index, does pretty good Indian food at a slightly inflated price.

There's a place in Karon called Highway Curry on Patak Road that's good value. Perhaps not as authentic as some but not bad.

Alternatively do a visa run to Penang!

Thanks all. Sadly it seems like no options in patong.

I wonder where all the Indian tailors and touts are eating out for their cheap authentic curries, thalis, and naans etc? 

Surely they must be getting their fix somewhere? Next time i see one I will ask them.

Navrang Mahal in Soi Viking is OK (closing soon), but as with all Indian food expensive in comparison to Thai food ( in reality it's not expensive, just by comparison).

They also have a Friday buffet at their restaurant in Karon Sea Sand Resort. PERSONALLY I've always enjoyed it, as do a number of my friends.  

I get curries made for me and I'm not sharing!

On 19/12/2017 at 10:38 PM, Psimbo said:

Navrang Mahal in Soi Viking is OK (closing soon), but as with all Indian food expensive in comparison to Thai food ( in reality it's not expensive, just by comparison).

They also have a Friday buffet at their restaurant in Karon Sea Sand Resort. PERSONALLY I've always enjoyed it, as do a number of my friends.  

I get curries made for me and I'm not sharing!

Thanks for this tip.

At 500 baht for the buffet, seems like a competitive/reasonable price.

Two relatively small meat/veg dishes and a couple of naans would typically cost about 800 baht at most rip-off joints in phuket.

Your buffet idea is worth a try,

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/12/2017 at 9:57 PM, Mysterion said:

Thanks all. Sadly it seems like no options in patong.

I wonder where all the Indian tailors and touts are eating out for their cheap authentic curries, thalis, and naans etc? 

Surely they must be getting their fix somewhere? Next time i see one I will ask them.

Try Koh-i-Noor in the road that runs from Rat-u-Thid to the new Middle Road (waste treatment plant and Mercure Hotel in that road).......had a few take-aways from there and not bad at all.

2 hours ago, xylophone said:

Try Koh-i-Noor in the road that runs from Rat-u-Thid to the new Middle Road (waste treatment plant and Mercure Hotel in that road).......had a few take-aways from there and not bad at all.

2 hours ago, xylophone said:

I thought it had closed down when I arrived on the18th but the indian curry club restaurant in soi sansabai was only going a quick spruce up and reopened a few days later. I’d been there a few times over the years and always found the sauces very tasty and well prepared. As for value, well you pay for what you get and most of our delicate colons couldn’t handle  curry every day anyway, so more of a treat. Great service too. Concerning the other gentleman’s note about where the tailors etc. get their fix from. I’ve noted a fair few are actually Burmese, Nepalese, other, and so have their own chow.

40 minutes ago, billythehat said:

most of our delicate colons couldn’t handle  curry every day anyway, so more of a treat. 

Speak for yourself. I could eat it three times a day everyday.

As a side-note, the Burmese in Myanmar have discovered Thai food in a big, big way. In the cities and towns, they have virtually dumped their own food for Thai cuisine.

The best Thai food I have eaten in nearly four decades was four years ago in a town called Myeik (formerly Mergui) at a Chinese owned Thai restaurant. It was packed with Burmese from when it opened at noon until it closed at 10:00 pm.

So, the poor old put-upon Burmese here in Thailand, are at least in foody heaven.

6 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

Speak for yourself. I could eat it three times a day everyday.

As a side-note, the Burmese in Myanmar have discovered Thai food in a big, big way. In the cities and towns, they have virtually dumped their own food for Thai cuisine.

The best Thai food I have eaten in nearly four decades was four years ago in a town called Myeik (formerly Mergui) at a Chinese owned Thai restaurant. It was packed with Burmese from when it opened at noon until it closed at 10:00 pm.

So, the poor old put-upon Burmese here in Thailand, are at least in foody heaven.

Sir, I appreciate you may have the constitution of an old kwai nam but I have to work in an open plan office with about 80 people.

3 x per diem? Sounds like an serious addition. :shock1:

Archived