Thai police "being kind" in mother of all New Year road carnage "U-Turns"!

webfact

14 minutes ago, AsianAtHeart said:

According to one website I found, 73% of all fatalities in Thailand involved motorcycles.  This compares to 13% involving 4-wheeled vehicles other than heavy trucks (2%), presumed to include cars, minivans, buses, and pickups.  Given that these types of passenger vehicles are not separately classified in the statistics, it seems impossible to ascertain the relative risk of back-of-pickup passenger transport.  However, it does seem to indicate a greater danger of fatalities if the pickups are not permitted to carry passengers, simply because the probability that a number of those would-be passengers will instead choose motorcycle transport--the vehicle class of highest risk.  See their graphic below.

AccidentsByTypeOfVehicle.gif

Without knowing how many m'cyclists were killed by being hit as compared to those that caused their own deaths, it's a somewhat pointless chart.

I have seen many young hoons flying down the road at high speed without a helmet ( though a helmet would make zero difference to their survival ) and said to myself that I had just seen a dead man driving.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Enoon said:

The population have been taught to crawl, kneel and press their palms together in prayer and deference.

That is all the State, whose prime concern is the well being of a particular section of the "Body Politic" (a section blinkered, unimaginative and most of all...self-interested), requires of them.

The well being of the "Body Public" is of secondary consideration.  And then only when it may have a bearing upon the well being of that "particular section".

The public can do as much damage to itself as it wants.

A very different outlook to Western social policy.

Didn't you want to get away from the "Nanny" State?

My first impression on this country upon arriving was it was ran by the people.

I liked not having to look over my shoulder each time I wanted to make a turn where I normally wouldn't be allowed, to park where I could, not where I was required to.

To enjoy a cold beer on the beach,

open for all to see if they wished.

For bars & restaurants to stay open until the customers were gone.

As a child I enjoyed riding in the back of my parents vehicle,

safe or not, I enjoyed the open air.

When people complain or express their opinions on this forum,

it's often stated that if they don't like it, 

go back to where they came from...yes?

I've never made such a statement, 

again let people be who they wish to be,

say what they will...

Now let the citizens of this country decide for themselves what they wish, 

how they care to travel; live.

It's their country after all.

All we expats can do is enjoy the freedoms which drew us here to begin with, 

and try to protect ourselves with auto cameras; thank goodness for technology, 

auto / health insurance,

and most of all be responsible for ourselves.

Rather than trying to draw a line in the sand,

each time something transpires which we fail to see the logic in, 

or don't necessarily agree with,

it might be better to go with the flow, 

so we can enjoy whatever it is that this country has to offer?

After 18 years, I'm still trying to figure out what that is?

For now I know/ think it's better than what my nanny state has to offer, 

so I remain here until something better comes along, 

isn't that all we can do...?

Happy Holiday everyone, 

enjoy.

and it a certain bet that a huge % of motorcycle deaths are caused by head hitting , the road, because the deceased was not wearing a helmet, and they still let this go on, and we see reports about Bangkok or any other province clamping down, it should be nation wide, wonder why they have to put this in print as it is an OFFENCE not to wear a helmet, full stop

11 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Without knowing how many m'cyclists were killed by being hit as compared to those that caused their own deaths, it's a somewhat pointless chart.

I have seen many young hoons flying down the road at high speed without a helmet ( though a helmet would make zero difference to their survival ) and said to myself that I had just seen a dead man driving.

In terms of how people died in those motorcycle accidents, you have a point.  But the point I was making is still sharply clear, because those motorcycle deaths did not occur in the back of a pickup.

People drinking in the back normally do not cause accidents but...I understand.

People in the back must not face in the direction of the truck. they must sit with their backs to the cab. if there are many then their backs to the side of the truck. Facing the front of the truck results in injury even in a small accident.

4 hours ago, quadperfect said:

So much back peddling .

Kind of the police to back up and let a few hundred more people die this new years. Thats nice of them.

I say let it go .its the thai peoples choice. They dont seem to mind. 

So why should anyone care.

People in the back of a pick up or not wearing a helmet has no effect on my personal sefety.

Let them do there thing.

its messed up for sure. i think let people do what they want as long as they dont hurt others.

somchai sitting in the back of a pickup does not hurt me.

somchai not wearing a helmet does not hurt me.

somchai driving recklessly could hurt me.

somchai driving drunk could hurt me.

somchai speeding could hurt me.

focus on reckless driving, drunk driving and speeding please. 

Safety assurance worked out for upcoming long holiday travels next week

By Thai PBS

0B46569E-56BE-4EE9-BA01-923B1A71FF62.jpe

As the New Year holidays are approacing and a million of people are expected to travel out of the capital using public road transport and personal cars, the Royal Thai Police yesterday held a meeting to roll out several measures to ensure safety for travellers.

The meeting was chaired by deputy commissioner Pol Gen Srivara Ransibrahmanakul.

According to Pol Gen Srivara, all safety measures are to be implemented throughout the country, particular in Bangkok and surrounding areas for safety of the public during the New Year Festival when an exodus of people out of the capital is expected from next week.

He also said the police also plan to facilitate motorists and lower road accidents during travelling in this upcoming festive season when the influx of people will travel home in the provinces to celebrate with families. He said the people are allowed to sit on the rear bed of pick-up trucks.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/safety-assurance-worked-upcoming-long-holiday-travels-next-week/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-12-19

6 hours ago, webfact said:

But they would look after the bikes while they went to get a helmet.

The Police captain of each area would have a KIOSK with Helmets for "sale" right next to the check points :)

6 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

Let the carnage continue.  After all, they have to maintain that #1 Road Death Toll status somehow. 

Too many lose face if the status quo isn't maintained to continue being world renowned, at least as the hub of road kill. 

Thailand will launch a Traffic Safety Campaign over the upcoming holiday. Therefore these important rules will be strictly enforced:

1. For safety reasons, not more than six cars/motorcycles may drive into an intersection and pass it, after the red traffic light has been switched on. The number for Bangkok is reduced to three.

2. STOP-signs may only be neglected with the hazard lights on. This will warn other road users and explain the urgency of the mission of the vehicle crossing.

3. Mobile phones may only be used while driving, if the car is equipped with tinted windscreens. This will save the driver from receiving a warning.

4. Turn signals should be switched on in either direction at all times. This is to make the following driver guess, if you will proceed straight, or if you may make a turn. This situation will strengthen the alertness of the driver behind.

5. The use of rear mirrors is only permitted to check and redo your lipstick, or to squeeze out pimples. This measurement will force drivers to slow down, when detecting cars parked on the roadside, which might eventually enter the road. It also forces a driver during an overtaking maneuver, to check the functionality of  the horn and brakes, if the car to be overtaken makes a move to either side.

6. High beams and fog lights should be switched on at all times, as the driver coming in the opposite direction will be blinded, and must slow down or even stop. This measurement will help drivers coming from opposite directions to pass each other at slow speeds.

7. Remaining tire pressure gauges at gas stations are to be removed. This will ensure, that the tires of vehicles will always be filled up to a the maximum pressure the air compressor can produce, which is about 80 psi. With those tires it is hardly possible to exceed the legal speed limit of 90Km/h, as the tires might blow up and can cause severe damage to vehicle and driver.

8. Minibuses are to be stripped of all safety belts or make them unusable. This eases the removal from corpses out of a wreck.

9. Imported cars, like Mercedes, Audi and such, have a "built in" right of way, because there is a great chance, that a member of the RTP is on his way, to enforce these important rules.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

The measures would be delayed until 28th December from the original Christmas Day deadline.

And he admitted that police did not have the right to confiscate motorcycles if the owners or passengers did not have helmets. But they would look after the bikes while they went to get a helmet.

Delayed until 28th Dec., eh? Talk about a forceless police-force! Police chiefs in other countries will be sat, shaking their heads at this ultimate show of weakness and absurdity by the Thai FTB (that's Flops That Be, for the uninitiated), which will guarantee that many more lives are lost, this year. So the office sweepstake can now be on which 'delayed until' date will the measures be enforced? . . . if it's no longer 25th, that means it will be on 26th, 27th or 28thGet your money down, now, folks . . . it'll pay for my hol, 'cos I say NEVER!

"Thai Rath said in their headline that the Thai police were "being kind."

NO!  They have just signed the death warrant for an untold number of people!  Is there nobody with any common sense in command here!  

Don't bother reading the headlines over the new year; they'll just be a reprint of last year's headlines, and the year before, and the year...................!!!!!

Wow, that was a quicker u-turn than the Songkran one.

Perhaps the next time they decide to enforce the law and common sense, they'll make damned sure that they are going to see it through before they announce it. Save egg on their faces, loss of face being something that doesn't seem to have figured in their calculations.