British man injured in Thailand undergoes leg amputation following motorbike accident

webfact

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Sapporillo said:

They claim that he had taken out two insurance policies, and one of them had already refused to pay anything at all, while the other one might pay something. I've checked out one of these insurer's website and skimmed through their travel insurance policy document. Sure enough, point 7 of their exclusion list are "motorcycling activities":

7. You motorcycling:
• as a rider or passenger on a machine

over 125cc; or
• as a rider or passenger on a machine

125cc or under unless you wear a crash helmet and, as a rider, you have held a motorcycle licence for at least 3 years and are conviction free.

Yes it is common practice now for insurance cover for South East Asia.  However the rental company should have had insurance for the bike and rider.  Then again the same regulations would apply re helmet wearing.

You have to wonder if the amputation was really necessary.  Guess it depends on the "hospital" he was taken too.

5 hours ago, ferguston said:

His photo, presumably taken in Thailand, sums everything up about his motorbike riding capabilities.  

4 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Merry Christmas to you as well. 

So refreshing to read the views of such wonderful people like yourself. 

Some of you blokes are so full of shit and lacking in compassion I've been riding in Thailand 10 years but 3 days ago a driver dropped his mobile phone while driving he hit my scooter I have insurance but my girlfriend hasn't, medical bill for her approximately one million baht insurance from driver 80,000 baht so think before you speak it's not always motor bike fault

Some of you blokes are so full of shit and lacking in compassion I've been riding in Thailand 10 years but 3 days ago a driver dropped his mobile phone while driving he hit my scooter I have insurance but my girlfriend hasn't, medical bill for her approximately one million baht insurance from driver 80,000 baht so think before you speak it's not always motor bike fault

I remember watching a young guy take a scooter out of a rental shop in Pattaya a few years ago. He sat on it revved it up and flew straight into a car. 

No idea if he got hurt, my only thought was "what a dick" not very nice I know, but he didn't have a clue how to ride it.

But he was in Thailand so it didn't matter. 

Edited by berybert

I know of 2 farangs who were involved in serious accidents, one with several compound fractures after going over a mercedes that pulled out in front of him. He went though a phone booth, bounced off a tree, and landed in a klong full of filthy water. Both of these people luckily knew enough Thai language to realize they were about to have their legs amputated and said "No way !" Both are presently walking around quite comfortably on their full quota of legs, and it would appear that doctors here are a little too eager to perform the big chop :(

20 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

Yes it is common practice now for insurance cover for South East Asia.  However the rental company should have had insurance for the bike and rider.  Then again the same regulations would apply re helmet wearing.

You have to wonder if the amputation was really necessary.  Guess it depends on the "hospital" he was taken too.

No ofence to you in person, but "rental company should have had insurance". 

Well, drivers should have had driving licence, motor bike drivers should were helmet, there should be no people in the back of the pick up truck and so on...

"Should" means nothing down here. 

This is great to have these free insurance funds.

It should be compulsory for all bike rental companies to give a copy of the policy (how to setup a gofundme page) to every hirer.

They could use it in their advertising "Free Insurance with every hire"

Seriously though people need to be educated that there is no such thing as a free lunch, to deter others from doing stupid things and knowing someone will be there to bail them out

18 minutes ago, fdbob said:

In this case it was YOUR fault, and YOUR fault alone for taking your GF on YOUR bike

After ten years of riding in Thailand you should know whats likely to happen at ANY time

Happen once too often. I have a strong feeling that while you riding a motorbike you observe the laws and rules like when you are in your own country whereas the other side(Thais) do not do so then your accident chances probably triple. Anyone feel the same about this?

In the 1970s I saw a warning on the TV by the British government, it showed a young man riding a motorbike then suddenly everything went black(the screen) then the parents crying, then you hear the warning, "Do not buy your son a motorbike on his sixteen birthday"( was it 17th I can't remember clearly now).

The British government no longer cares about its citizens? How much does it costs the tax payers to print leaflet warning tourists going to Thailand it is not worth the little pleasure you get on that little motorbike. Make it compulsory for travel agents to distribute these leaflets to tourists buying tickets to Thailand or warning on the websites.

8 minutes ago, oldlakey said:

In this case it was YOUR fault, and YOUR fault alone for taking your GF on YOUR bike

After ten years of riding in Thailand you should know whats likely to happen at ANY time

Don't see the logic in that. Not all accidents are avoidable.  

Should he have told his girlfriend to take the bus? 

3 minutes ago, GarryP said:

You could not see yourself in the mirror my man

No insurance might be a starting point

YOU do realise that SHE had no insurance don't you

7 hours ago, 01322521959 said:

My young nephew wants to rent a bike when he comes here. I've said no. I've been riding here for some time I've told him, and it's nothing like the UK. I hope they tighten up the rental market here. Though I don't hold out much hope. 

Of course not! Thailand loves being No. 1 in road deaths let alone permanent injuries and heartbroken families Plus for police to accept tea money from falang for not having license or helmet!  Also add the naughty ciggy on a beach!  Life and death continues. Oh! and tea money.

7 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Already set up. £15,000 raised so far.

Where, Briggsy?

https://www.gofundme.com/help-ross-davidson-in-tailand

My Ex- in Europe almost lost her leg after a  motorcycle accident in Pain when her leg was only hanging at some parts of her skin. Only her superb insurance and a heli that flew her to Chiang Mai could save her leg.

The guy from a big bike for rent shop in CM came a few times to visit her. She's still not really fit and that's around 15 years ago. I can only imagine how it must be. I hope he get's better soon .

The truck driver had fled the scene. 

Campaign created 6 days ago

Gofundme.png

Edited by jenny2017

1 hour ago, fdbob said:

I wasn’t blaming the driver. 

27 minutes ago, oldlakey said:

You could not see yourself in the mirror my man

No insurance might be a starting point

YOU do realise that SHE had no insurance don't you

Okay I get it. The accident was his fault (really? are you serious?)  so was the fact that he hadn't bought insurance for his girlfriend. Okay.  

So "all" pillion passengers need to obtain insurance that will cover them in case of an accident.  Really???? Seems a bit over the top. You would put all the soi motorcycles out of business and a large majority of pillion riders in Thailand could probably not afford accident insurance. Are you saying they should not ride on their boyfriends'/husbands' bikes? Should take public transport. 

7 hours ago, steven100 said:

another go fund me ......    I'm seriously thinking about starting one for my next holiday  !  :shock1:  I'll need around 100,000 bht

Bizarre to relate your want of money for a holiday to someone who has lost a leg struggling to cover their medical costs.

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

I raced been on bikes all my life own 3 here. Smashed 2. None really my fault but a Thai with no licence brain or care can and will ride straight out in front. Key is stay safe. Stay slow Stay alert. The rest is up to god

30 minutes ago, digger70 said:

The insurance  won't pay,,He's a stupid kid that was not suppose to ride, self inflicted serious sad costly problem ,No Charity  should be made.People Must learn to do or not to do the right /wrong thing.

Such a heart warming example of humanity.

I am sure I could think of plenty of foolish things I have done in my younger years that could very easily have ended badly for me were fate to have twisted in a different direction on any given day.

Why is it that hearing about other peoples compassion and sparing a bit of money for somebody in need annoys you so much?

Just now, fandango71 said:

Such a heart warming example of humanity.

I am sure I could think of plenty of foolish things I have done in my younger years that could very easily have ended badly for me were fate to have twisted in a different direction on any given day.

Why is it that hearing about other peoples compassion and sparing a bit of money for somebody in need annoys you so much?

I have had very hard times,Never asked for any help ,not even family THAT'S How  you learn to take care of things and Grow up,Be responsible, Not like ohh got some trouble ,,,just Beg  that only makes it worse for smaller problems ,,,Just Beg /ask for help/Money that way one turns into No hopers That shit just don't work for me.I help people once , if they have a  Real problem BUT Never Money. :wai: