British man injured in Thailand undergoes leg amputation following motorbike accident

webfact

1 minute ago, torrzent said:

alot of heartless people on here.  show some respect and sympathy and pray that such misfortune never befalls you.  best of luck to the poor fella going forward.

I think posters are generally saying each person should take care of his or her self.   The "gofundme" thing is a new wrinkle in terms of  irresponsibility in some ways. 

I  feel for the person in the instance but have an issue with the cavalier attitude of coming to a place without care for foreigners and then asking for help.

I  nonetheless wish the lad well.

I choose to be self sufficient from word one.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, watcharacters said:

I think posters are generally saying each person should take care of his or her self.   The "gofundme" thing is a new wrinkle in terms of  irresponsibility in some ways. 

I  feel for the person in the instance but have an issue with the cavalier attitude of coming to a place without care for foreigners and then asking for help.

I  nonetheless wish the lad well.

I choose to be self sufficient from word one.

no there is also alot of unnecessary schadenfreude....pray that misfortune never befalls you!  You may need others too one day

7 minutes ago, torrzent said:

alot of heartless people on here.  show some respect and sympathy and pray that such misfortune never befalls you.  best of luck to the poor fella going forward.

You say people should show respect, what for?

The clown has only himself to blame,not properly equipped/ insured, his own reckless stupidity.

Too late for me to pray that this never befalls me, as it already has, yes i was properly covered and equipped.

I drove all kind of big bikes my whole live but after a accident (no others involved luckily) i don't drive a bike (big or small) at all anymore in Thailand.

As i live a Phuket the traffic is horrendous.

My wife always said, You can drive safely yourself but there are to many nut cases on the road which you can't control.

And she is right, I see to many accidents over here.

2 minutes ago, torrzent said:

no there is also alot of unnecessary schadenfreude....pray that misfortune never befalls you!  You may need others too one day

You are right.

There is still the matter of  choosing to visit a country which has little regard for the welfare of foreigners and hoping for a good resolution.

I wish the lad well.     I hope on future trips he chooses an other destination or at least has travel insurance for where  he visits.

5 minutes ago, colinneil said:

You say people should show respect, what for?

The clown has only himself to blame,not properly equipped/ insured, his own reckless stupidity.

Too late for me to pray that this never befalls me, as it already has, yes i was properly covered and equipped.

you are nominated for heartless poster of the year!  congratulations!

Just now, torrzent said:

you are nominated for heartless poster of the year!  congratulations!

I'm sorry if this is a friend of yours.  

I think regardless you should give him a large donation to assist him and not criticize others.

He erred  and now he has to pay the piper..

Travel insurance at the minimum if  he (one) cannot pay the fare of the  hospitals.

Fair enough?

4 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

I'm sorry if this is a friend of yours.  

I think regardless you should give him a large donation to assist him and not criticize others.

He erred  and now he has to pay the piper..

Travel insurance at the minimum if  he (one) cannot pay the fare of the  hospitals.

Fair enough?

who are you to decide who pays who?

Just now, torrzent said:

Not a laughing matter!

Why is it not a laughing matter?

If i didnt laugh about it,i would probably weep.

Next time before having a go at me, check your facts, ok.:cheesy:

You see dopey because of a motorbike accident i am paraplegic, and laugfhter helps beleive me.

Here we go again, probably not wearing a helmet, licence probably not covered for motorbikes, wearing inappropriate clothing for motorbiking and probably not having enough or maybe no experience of riding motorbikes especially in Thailand. 

Insurance companies only require the slightest excuse not to pay out, but tragically for this young man he`s learned too late. A sad time for everyone concerned.

11 hours ago, drayger said:

Hope he had the appropriate insurance, licence etc other wise expect to see another go fund me page . Another young life ruined by the ease of bike rental to anybody who has the baht but no experience on some of the deadliest roads in the world

His life is not ruined.

He faces a new and challenging future.    Many others have reached incredible achievements with similar  issues.

He could have died so I guess it's good news he can live an almost normal life with one leg . 

Do not rent a bike in Thailand , very simple don't do it unless you have years of experience .   As a tourist for a few weeks you can rent a private driver , sit inside a comfortable car and enjoy the nature , it will not cost a lot of money .

you dont have to ride yourself!!!  Someone should warn the kids, big signs at the airport. It will save lives. 

26 minutes ago, balo said:

He could have died so I guess it's good news he can live an almost normal life with one leg . 

Do not rent a bike in Thailand , very simple don't do it unless you have years of experience .   As a tourist for a few weeks you can rent a private driver , sit inside a comfortable car and enjoy the nature , it will not cost a lot of money .

you dont have to ride yourself!!!  Someone should warn the kids, big signs at the airport. It will save lives. 

That's a good suggestion balo but somehow I imagine it'd be about as effective as the government "campaigns" that address drink driving.

Yes I am a doubting person when it comes to government propaganda.

12 hours ago, Ejjeje said:

I am not sorry for such people...

50% or maybe more never used a scooter, they think it's a bicycle and just drive....

I used to have a scooter rental shop for 8 years on koh tao, and i saw accidents each day not that heavy but still...

I always warned my costumers about the risk and belive me 80% of them did a crash the same day or later..

And something offtopic.

What the hell is all this gofundme bullshit?!

If you take a such risk think about it before we are not the caritas to found them

@Just1Voice

Licence ? 555....

I never got asked me licence when i plan a short trip and need a bike

I take it you used to only rent to people who had bike licences and experience then? How do you know he doesn't have either? 

Also, he has 2 insurance policies... try reading the article next time

28 minutes ago, PremiumLane said:

I take it you used to only rent to people who had bike licences and experience then? How do you know he doesn't have either? 

Also, he has 2 insurance policies... try reading the article next time

Everyone of these stories I read have the same problem, they take out insurance and either don't read or don't care about the fine print, which in every case says they will not cover motorcycles. As a previous post already mentioned the standard insurance policies of the companies he used will not cover you as rider or passenger of motorbikes over 125CC.  Also i can assure you that riding experience in western countries does not prepare you for the conditions you will face when riding here in Thailand.

9 hours ago, peter48 said:

Ok, Ok, I was asking in a more general sense that long experienced drivers (UK ) visiting here with proper driving licence and now international driving permit would be covered? However I take on board your advice and will check my Nationwide bank repeat policy which we rarely look at as it just repeats year on year....

Good on you.

Mine was also a general comment not aimed at you. "Your policy document" refers to anyone who takes out insurance. :thumbsup: 

18 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

Anyone with any type of license, and the right baht, can rent a motorbike here.  No experience necessary.  

A few years back I was heading south on 121 and 108 on my CBR250, and had to stop for the ligh.  I looked across at the coming traffic and saw two white guys in short, t-shirts and tennis shoes approaching the turn to their left, going extremely slow.  About half way through the turn the bike simply fell over and they hit the ground.  I changed my directions and was able to get over to them.  Neither was seriously hurt, and the 650 Ninja they were riding had suffered only some minor scratches, but ones which would cost them dearly when they took it back.  

They turned out to be from England, and out of curiosity I asked if either of them had ever ridden a bike before.  Nope. Neither one of them ever had.  I asked them why in the hell they would rent a 650cc bike with NO experience.  They replied that it looked easy, and looked like fun.  I told them that someone needed to contact their parents to tell them they had raised two friking idiots, got back on my CBR and left. 

Spot on. Rode Harley’s in Thailand for 12 years. Always wore boots leathers and helmet. Never saw so many accidents even with experienced bikers. From busted up to scratched, broken and dead. Sad. Finally the penny dropped as I realized I was playing roulette with my life on a bike. As much as I loved the riding and companionship I knew the odds were against me, and I sold the last one, a Road King. I feel sorry for this fellow as well as any riders that gamble on these roads. There are only TWO kinds of riders; those that have been down and those that are going down.

9 hours ago, peter48 said:

Ok, Ok, I was asking in a more general sense that long experienced drivers (UK ) visiting here with proper driving licence and now international driving permit would be covered? However I take on board your advice and will check my Nationwide bank repeat policy which we rarely look at as it just repeats year on year....

Perhaps someone can throw more light onto an international driving permit and Thai insurance companies.

I've read in the past some discussion regarding insurance companies here apparently not paying out a claim if the rider/driver didn't have a Thai licence?

8 hours ago, watcharacters said:

His life is not ruined.

He faces a new and challenging future.    Many others have reached incredible achievements with similar  issues.

I think he’s the only one who has the right to decide if his life is ruined or not. 

10 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

I hope that you'd never made a mistake in your life . Why do you think is it called an accident? BTW, an ordinary motorcycle insurance covers only 12 K. I assume there's not much under your Christmas tree this year. 

I made some bad mistakes in my life and had some serious hard ship,I Never asked anyone not even my family for help. You have to be strong and work true it  ,never mind me I am fine my tree is drowned in presents from people and family that I did help for a real reason ,Not with Money. This was not an accident this is a self inflicted Drama that was not suppose to happen. and of rant.(:

My brother was run over by a motorcycle while in Cambo about ten years ago.  An Australian Dr. with the WHO saw him and called home , he was transferred by air ambulance to BKK and he didn' t end up losing his leg but came close.  He didn t buy travel insurance before he left on holidays and ended up $40,000 lighter by the time he got home.