Norwegian man assaulted after noise complaint at Pattaya bar

webfact

Norwegian man assaulted after noise complaint at Pattaya bar

By The Nation

nw.jpg

A Norwegian man was assaulted and severely injured when he told staff at a bar near his house in Pattaya to lower the volume of their music late on Tuesday night, police said.

Pattaya police were alerted at 12.50 am on Wednesday to send help to a house on the opposite side of French Garden in the Jomtien Niwet housing estate in Moo 12 village in Tambon Nong Pleu in Chon Buri’s Bang Lamung district.

The Norwegian, 57, was waiting inside his house with his Thai transvestite companion. The Norwegian had a big cut on his head and rescuers from a foundation gave him first aid and sent him to a hospital.

The companion, Suwit Moomanee, said the Norwegian man walked across the road to the bar to ask its staff to turn down the volume of the music and tell the patrons to lower their voices, but he was beaten up.

Suwit said the bar always stayed open to 2am or 3 am and played loud music. Its patrons, especially foreigners, made a lot of noise, preventing people in the neighbourhood from sleeping.

When police checked the bar, its employees denied that they assaulted the Norwegian. Police then took the bar manager to Pattaya police station for further questioning.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30334358

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-12-20

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one deserves a beating. Losing one's cool is just a symptom of inferior genetics. However, when I move into a neighborhood I usually make sure that it meets my standards of living. 

Point 1: If this guy moved in before the bar ever opened up, then he should have known better. (still doesn't deserve a beating)

Point 2: If the bar opened after he moved in then he is in another predicament. And, could he have called on the BIB's for help?

I think, as others pointed out, that he should have sent his fairer sexed partner.

Seems Norwegians are getting in all sorts of problems over noise lately... wasn't the guy who turned off a Thai's motorcycle Norwegian?

11 minutes ago, LazySlipper said:

No one deserves a beating. Losing one's cool is just a symptom of inferior genetics. However, when I move into a neighborhood I usually make sure that it meets my standards of living. 

Point 1: If this guy moved in before the bar ever opened up, then he should have known better. (still doesn't deserve a beating)

Point 2: If the bar opened after he moved in then he is in another predicament. And, could he have called on the BIB's for help?

I think, as others pointed out, that he should have sent his fairer sexed partner.

Seems Norwegians are getting in all sorts of problems over noise lately... wasn't the guy who turned off a Thai's motorcycle Norwegian?

Points 1 and 2 are the same, just worded differently.

It was a Swiss guy who got battered for being a dick with the other guy's bike.

I'm not convinced that transvestites count as the fairer sex, but if it floats your boat.........

Edited by Blue Muton

7 minutes ago, Blue Muton said:

I'm not convinced that transvestites count as the fairer sex, but if it floats your boat.........

Nahh doesn't float my boat. Just phrasing it that way for the sensitive PC Thai visa posters here... you don't wanna know what I think of them.

Actually points 1 and 2 are like opposites not really the same at all. This is not a case of whether the chicken came first or the egg. If the guy moved in and the bar was opened before he should have expected some problems.

Whereas if the bar opened after there is no way he could have expected problems prior to moving in...

Why are farangs prompt to complain about noises, soi dogs, barkings, loud music etc etc etc.....you know all these things happen in thailand and why still come here..:passifier:....there are many places besides thailand....

Wonder whether other foreigners did the same....i doubt so...

2 minutes ago, chuang said:

Why are farangs prompt to complain about noises, soi dogs, barkings, loud music etc etc etc.....you know all these things happen in thailand and why still come here..:passifier:....there are many places besides thailand....

Because they hail from rules-based societies. They tend to follow rules and expect others to do so. This is particularly so for Scandinavians.

Thais hail from a hierarchical society where nobody follows rules but they do adhere to orders coming down the hierarchical structure.

This is one reason, and a considerable one, why a disproportionate number of Scandinavians (lovely people that they are) make incredibly bad decisions in Thailand and other non-rule-based societies.

24 minutes ago, chuang said:

The cigarettes are still cheap!

In 10-20 years from now, when Thai society is completely out of hand and everyone becomes their own judge, juror, and punishment giver, the police will realize they can't even get out of their police station without weapons in hand and with reinforcement. And then they wonder how it could have ever reached this point...

This is how.

3 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

With his "companion" being Thai, maybe it would have been better had he gone over, and requested the music to be lowered ?

It looks like another cowardly attack by Thais in numbers. 

It may look like another cowardly attack by Thais in numbers to you but I can't read that in the OP. It does state that the Norwegian not only spoke to the bar management but also told the patrons to lower their voices.

His companion Suwit states that the bar's patrons, especially foreigners were guilty of making a lot of noise. From experience there is a lot of difference asking the bar to lower their music and telling a patron to be quiet, especially where drink is involved.

Pure speculation of course, but I would put my money on this being a dispute with the patrons rather than the bar staff. Also depends a lot on the attitude of the Norwegian as well.

Still doesn't make it right no matter what happened unless the Norwegian got physical first, and even then it wouldn't be right............:thumbsup:

With his "companion" being Thai, maybe it would have been better had he gone over, and requested the music to be lowered ?

It isn't just Thais that gang-up on people, seen & heard of plenty of that in many other countries.

2 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

It isn't just Thais that gang-up on people, seen & heard of plenty of that in many other countries.

It probably isn't, but I am reading a Thailand based forum, from my Thailand residence, and it appears to be quite prevalent over here. 

5 minutes ago, spermwhale said:

The Norwegian, 57, was waiting inside his house with his Thai transvestite companion

Is this important or is The Nation trying to disparage this man? 

My thoughts too.......Surely, if it needs mentioning at all then Thai Companion would suffice.

From my experience living inThailand it is very unlightly that one Thai would "pull up" another Thai...about most things....particularly a bar situation like this.

Edited by dotpoom
Correction

2 hours ago, LazySlipper said:

Actually points 1 and 2 are like opposites not really the same at all. This is not a case of whether the chicken came first or the egg. If the guy moved in and the bar was opened before he should have expected some problems.

Point 1: If this guy moved in before the bar ever opened up

Point 2: If the bar opened after he moved in then he is in another predicament

Opposites? Can you run that by me again?

Without getting into the details of this incident, it sounds like he just had enough one night.

There is not much consideration to others in this town, especially when it comes to noise.

All-night Thai bars, loud motorbike exhaust systems, car/truck sound systems on full volume, etc .......

And, of course, the BIB do nothing.