Medical face masks

superal

8 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

When people are sick they use them to not spread germs.

I was eating in a restaurant in Central Festival and a girl in a booth had her mask hanging down. So its OK to spread germs in a restaurant? I was outraged at her nonchalance at spreading her deadly germs. IMHO :post-4641-1156694572:

3 hours ago, elgenon said:

I was eating in a restaurant in Central Festival and a girl in a booth had her mask hanging down. So its OK to spread germs in a restaurant? I was outraged at her nonchalance at spreading her deadly germs. IMHO :post-4641-1156694572:

So you have your mask on all the time?  Maybe make it a full face one.

6 hours ago, tryasimight said:

Try googling for the scientific answer. I have no desire to do that for you as I have no interest in the useless face masks.

The only time I like to see them used is by a doctor/surgeon/nurse.

If it works for you - go for it.

From what I understand breathing out into the mask creates a trap for whatever as it is at slightly higher pressure than ambient - there will still be some leakage no doubt. Breathing in creates a pressure drop and the air will seek the easiest path - and leak in via the poor to non existent seal on the face of the wearer.

80% sounds like it is basically useless. If it was a braking system on a car that stopped the car 80% of the time, most drivers would have been dead long ago - perhaps Thai brakes are based on this as, by all reports, they seem to work only 80% of the time apparently.

Hang  on  a  minit ! The  masks  are  useless  but   you  like  medics  to  use   same?  Comfort   factor? Same  as  average  user  then but  possibly  to  some  good  effect. lol

7 hours ago, brommers said:

The cheap masks are totally compromised within a couple of minutes use because they are simply not capable of trapping anything as small as a virus or a bacterium, so in effect they protect no one

They are of the same type that nurses and doctors wear in the hospitals here. Not the cheapest type .  So yes they are capable of protecting against viruses.  Or they would not be using masks would they ? 

61k9KqThJPL._SX425_.jpg

Edited by balo

In hospitals I can see them making sense to protect patients, as some of them are already very vulnerable.  I doubt fear of spreading infection is the reason here.  

A tight-fitting N95 mask should be able to keep out the bulk of small particles (95% if no air flow from the sides).  I use one for running when the AQI is over 100, which is happening more and more of the time.  I wear it tight enough that I feel no air flow on any side of it, and when I hold my hand in from of my face I feel the air flow around my mouth and nose.  Even if it catches only 50% of the fine dust that's worth it.  The problem is in the tradeoff between comfort and effectiveness.  It's OK for a half hour run, but I couldn't wear one for hours.  A loose-fitting mask just means you suck in air from the sides.  

Edited by ChidlomDweller

If you are using one to protect others from sneeze projectile or other drainage fluids from the nostrils, thy do provide an effect, though minimal.  If you are under the illusion that they are protecting you from pollution or other airborn contaminants, think again.  If you are using them as a placebo to make you feel better, go for it!  Cheers...  Doc

I have worked in farming in UK and other countries since the 1960's.

In those days ( 1960's ) masks were virtually unknown even at harvest time, now filtering out the dust from harvesting crops is down to a fine art, if you can afford it.

For so called "rice lung", "farmers lung", “coal miners lung” even a simple mask can help reduce the amount of dust / protein dust that one inhales, especially if from livestock.    As long as it is used properly.     

If you ride the countries ( Thailand ) minibuses or local buses the blackening you see on the ceiling ( especially in minibuses ) is from protein dust and has a very high bacteria count.     Protein dust embeds itself in the lung.  The AC systems are rarely if ever cleaned, which is why you can often end up with "a cold" at the end of your journey, nothing to do with the transport AC being too cold or too hot.    On a long journey a High C tablet may help reduce infection.

Having transported livestock by bus / minibus from airport to farm in different countries, the health of the animals after the journey were considerably better if the vehicle had been thoroughly cleaned  before transport.    The driver / passenger always wearing a mask.

You will probably find aspergillus spores in your AC at home !!!

On 1/8/2018 at 10:42 AM, FritsSikkink said:

When people are sick they use them to not spread germs.

Also even low-quality poorly fitted masks can help Reduce the volume/titer of large Aerosolized Fluids that are expressed during a sneeze or a cough. Masks like this and worn  like this do nothing to stop small individual viruses but can reduce certain large bacteria Aspiration volume.

Personally I use my bandanna folded up to the max to cover my nose and mouth sometimes when someone's hacking on a bhat bus, 90 percent of the time not covering their mouth's.  It's a great custom fit.  One thing that both surely help to do is to reduce the inhalation of PM/particulate matter from diesels and dust on the road. That is also a significant health hazard.

Edited by joeyg

On 1/8/2018 at 11:22 PM, FritsSikkink said:

So you have your mask on all the time?  Maybe make it a full face one.

You couldn't tell I was being sarcastic? The bouncing ball was an extra clue. I don't expect anyone to wear one anytime.