PureVPN blocks a site, Strong VPN doesn't

wpcoe

I'm not able to access the FlyerTalk web site while using PureVPN.  I was going to inquire on their forum why they block VPNs, but by  chance, happened to have Strong VPN active and was able to access the site, so it's not simply using-a-VPN that's the issue. 

Any ideas why the web site is not available when using PureVPN?  Do requests for access look different to web hosts when coming from different VPNs?

they might block traffic depending on a number of characteristics.

VPN usage is not likely to be one of them, since getting a list of all VPN exit nodes would be very challenging.

my best guesses:

- they blocked traffic from the country of your VPN's exit node because either they don't make any money from that traffic or because attacks DDOS/other originate from that country

- they might block IPs or hostnames based on attacks or forum spam originating from there

- they might block specifically YOU if you abused their forum in some way or another, there are ways to do this, browser profiling, cookies, flash cookies, persistent cookies...

10 hours ago, Pib said:

I just accessed FlyerTalk with PureVPN via San Francisco and Singapore VPN connections.  AND, I can accessed FlyerTalk "without" any VPN connection as shown in the snapshot below.  I'm in Bangkok on AIS Fibre.

It's a conspiracy then.  Now I *know* they're out to get me.  :laugh:

FWIW, I tried logging on to PureVPN with not only with their app but also "manually" by setting up a connection via Windows Networking.

Wait.  With more tinkering, somehow it now works.  Using the app, I changed the "Mode" from Security/Privacy to Internet freedom and FlyerTalk was accessible.  I changed the mode back to Security/Privacy, and was again able to access.  In fact, all four modes permit access now.   Go figure.

Pib, do you log on with a manually configured setting via Windows Networking or do you use the PureVPN app?  If the app, which mode?

Back to square one.  Cannot access flyertalk.com again with any of the four modes on the app,, or via a manually created PPTP connection via Windows Networking.  What the heck is going on?

Can you access "without" a VPN connection? Yes or No?

You "do not" need a VPN connection to access the site as I did it last night without with my AIS Fibre home connection and right now on my DTAC mobile connection.

I used both the PureVPN app and manual connections last night...used Singapore and San Francisco. When using the app I use Internet freedom.

Back to my opening question, can you access "without" VPN?

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yes, can access the site without a VPN connection.

Currently I have "Internet Freedom" mode selective on the app and cannot access the site.

When I'm browsing, in particularly reading various forums, I use a VPN to avoid the annoyance when someone links to a site that is blocked within Thailand or a video that is geolocation restricted.

Just now, with Singapore and Internet Freedom, I was unable to access FlyerTalk.  Changed the location to United States and was able to access.  Changed back to Singapore, and was able to access.  <shrug>

Used Google's DNS settings, both in my computer's network connection (both WiFi and Cat5 cable to ADSL router) and in PureVPN via Windows Network and Sharing Center, and still no connecting to that one web site via PureVPN.

I noticed that on the Security tab for PureVPN Properties that "Type of VPN" is set to IKEv2.  Not sure why, but I thought the connection would be PPTP.  Tried changing the setting but it requires the connection to be dis-/re-connected and even though I choose another setting, PureVPN reconnnects with IKEv2.

At this point, I surrender to the gods of the internet universe that this is "just one of those things" and disconnect from the VPN when I try to access that web site.  If there were some simple, explainable reason, it would have surfaced by now.

IKEV2 is what the app defaults to as it's a fast and very strong encryption.   But if you change it to another protocol like PPTP it will stay set to PPTP until you decided to change...that's you new default. 

Yes, if you want to change encryption protocol you must "disconnect" your current VPN connection, change protocol, and reconnect....can''t switch horses (or VPN protocols) in midstream.   I don't use the app very often (and don't even have it loaded right now since I haven't reinstalled it after reloading Windows...just using manual connections) but when using the app before when playing around I had not problem in switching protocols in the app and my protocol selection didn't change.

Overview of VPN encryption used by PureVPN

https://support.purevpn.com/article-categories/getting-started/windows/windows-old-software/purevpn-protocols

Edited by Pib