Labour groups demand a 360-baht uniform wage rate nationwide

webfact

Labour groups demand a 360-baht uniform wage rate nationwide

By Thai PBS

59D2E301-6DB0-4367-883E-EC43A5165CE0.jpe

The Thai Labour Reconciliation Committee, the Federation of State Enterprise Labour Relations and workers’ network have jointly declared their demand a 360-baht uniform daily minimum wage rate to be applicable throughout the country.

Representatives of the labour groups made their joint declaration before they were due to meet with Labour Minister Pol Gen Adul Saengsingkaeo to discuss the minimum wage issue.

Currently, the highest minimum wage rate is 310 baht enforceable in seven provinces, including Bangkok Metropolis, Nakhon Pathom, Nonthaburi, Pathum Thani, Phuket, Samut Prakan and Samut Sakhon.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/labour-groups-demand-360-baht-uniform-wage-rate-nationwide/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-12-21

3 minutes ago, webfact said:

The Thai Labour Reconciliation Committee, the Federation of State Enterprise Labour Relations and workers’ network have jointly declared their demand a 360-baht uniform daily minimum wage rate to be applicable throughout the country.

Still seems too low to me, but good luck.

Genuinely hope you succeed. 

Here in central Thailand the daily wage for a worker is B300 per day. We pay our gardener that wage but she is worth about half of that. But at least she does not show up most of the time, so we save money. On the other hand is a Thai farmer who helps me out on various projects. A sharp guy who shows up when he says he will. Plus he doesn't drink. To me he is worth B1000 a day, but is paid B400.  However, he is quite happy with the wage and is also able to work around his rice farm chores.

Regardless, it is still not much money.

Dtao.JPG

For most of the work force, 300 a day is, in my opinion, too much. Most of them just sit around all day glued to their smart phones, looking at themselves in a mirror or picking their noses. 

The rest are, usuall, good employees who deserve much more that 300 a day. 

With the price of food alone today,dont know how people survive,no wonder

so many of them are in debt,for 300 a day,I would not work very hard either,

the way labour is treated here seems a bit draconian,6 day weeks,9 hour days,

in some cases no O/T, time given off if lucky,in lieu of extra payments,when I

started work in the dark ages it was a 5 1/2 day week.good luck to them getting

more pay,but still will not be enough.

regards Worgeordie

The Vietnamese minimum wage is about half of the proposed Thai minimum wage. When it comes to basic labour, that means if you set up your factory in Vietnam you can employ 4 Vietnamese workers for the cost of 1 Thai worker.

Half the cost and double the productivity.

34 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

so many of them are in debt,for 300 a day,I would not work very hard either,

the way labour is treated here seems a bit draconian,6 day weeks,9 hour days,

The second part is the real problem. In Maha Sarakham, a 20 year old girl relative works in a grocery store - works 29 out of 30 days a month (she takes 1 day off without pay), works from 7am to 5pm with a short lunch, and makes 280 baht a day. Makes me ill.

The two organisations

mentioned are toothless and unable to change the grossly unfair disparity between the rich elite and the working people.

The people should be permitted to form trades unions instead of company unions under which they have zero influence.

Before the complaints arrive. I lived in UK at the time when the too powerful unions destroyed the indigenous car industry, but responsible unions are needed especially at this period in Thailand.

Don't forget that working class political parties had their roots in most European  trades unions. Something that the working class in Thailand badly need.

wages need to be aligned with productivity, while there are those that do work well there are also those that do not. A reasonable wage for work done is well deserved as long as the work is done as per the requirement and the employers are fair. Work ethics do not really ally here plus business owners look to profits before workers conditions, a meeting half way might help a lot rather than making demands

I suggest that those two Labour groups form a..........Labour Party.

They could invite the farmers to join them.

It would surely get into power when the elections are held, and then they could enact their wishes.

They could use as a party symbol the tools of Industry and Agriculture.

Something like this:

5a3b39e3e2ffe_hammerandsickle.jpg.7208328081727aec76dccc648148abad.jpg

Edited by Enoon

The second part is the real problem. In Maha Sarakham, a 20 year old girl relative works in a grocery store - works 29 out of 30 days a month (she takes 1 day off without pay), works from 7am to 5pm with a short lunch, and makes 280 baht a day. Makes me ill.

I suggest that those two Labour groups form a..........Labour Party.

They could invite the farmers to join them.

It would surely get into power when the elections are held, and then they could enact their wishes.

They could use as a party symbol the tools of Industry and Agriculture.

Something like this:
5a3b39e3e2ffe_hammerandsickle.jpg.7208328081727aec76dccc648148abad.jpg

Let's remember that the movements which used the hammer and sickle as an emblem were born out of the grievances of a society where a majority were forced to accept the sort of working conditions (and worse) described above, whilst a very wealthy small group got even wealthier...

Perhaps treating your workforce better ( a fair wage structure) might avoid the grief and misery which resulted from those movements?

Sent from my KENNY using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

4 hours ago, missoura said:

Here in central Thailand the daily wage for a worker is B300 per day. We pay our gardener that wage but she is worth about half of that. But at least she does not show up most of the time, so we save money. On the other hand is a Thai farmer who helps me out on various projects. A sharp guy who shows up when he says he will. Plus he doesn't drink. To me he is worth B1000 a day, but is paid B400.  However, he is quite happy with the wage and is also able to work around his rice farm chores.

Dtao.JPG

While I agree with your post, the picture you presented is another matter that is always a concern to me, especially when people work on my house.........No dust mask, no safety glasses, no guard on the machine, probably no earth, and probably wearing flip flops......This is by no means a dig at your good self, just the inherent disregard for health and safety due to lack of education. 

4 hours ago, missoura said:

Dtao.JPG

Even the Burmese do not want to work in the fields anymore, the agent we used told us they all want factory jobs ( what happened to Thais doing these  jobs  only) and they all want over time, as  soon as the over time stops they leave and go to another factory.

Can't get staff round here at all we  pay 400 a  day with many freebies, what does turn up is usually the dregs, bone idle, stupid etc etc.

I'd pay up to 16k for one person who was decent, but absolutely no joy at all, money for nothing seems their forte, paralysed by their phones in many cases.

11 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

While I agree with your post, the picture you presented is another matter that is always a concern to me, especially when people work on my house.........No dust mask, no safety glasses, no guard on the machine, probably no earth, and probably wearing flip flops......This is by no means a dig at your good self, just the inherent disregard for health and safety due to lack of education. 

You can give them and show them how to use  all of this and later you'll find it unused up a  corner somewhere.

A long time ago I figured out that a job wasn't going to make me rich or happy.  A job is only there to get you by while you make your real fortune doing something else.  I can make more money taking out loans and living off disability than I can working at a silly low wage job.

Edited by james1995